That, and other news, in today’s Roundup and Recap.
After California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and state lawmakers announced a new budget deal that will slash health care and welfare programs, as well as allow the state to take money from local treasuries, there’s already pushback from officials in Los Angeles County, who plan to sure to block the cuts.
On Tuesday night, as the governor was in the process of announcing the agreement to close a $26 billion gap, billionaire Ron Perelman was at a ribbon cutting ceremony at a new Deluxe Labs building in Hollywood. Pearlman owns Deluxe and Panavision, and noted that Schwarzenegger was a no-show to the event.
Per Variety’s David Cohen, Perelman told the crowd, “At this point in the program I was to introduce the governor of the fine state of California. Unfortunately for us and fortunately for all of its citizens, he is in Sacramento trying to get a budget in place. That sounds like a little thing, but as a resident of the state of New York, where our system is completely out of control, and our governor is at events like this, instead of getting the budget under control, I can tell you that’s a very important thing that the residents of California should appreciate.”
Given the initial reaction to the budget agreement, I’m sure that there will be many who beg to differ with Perelman’s contention that (a) the California budget really is in place; and (b) that it is “under control.”
Tonight, the Progressive Jewish Alliance will hold an event in Beverly Hills called “Out of California’s Quagmire,” with Peter Dreier interviewing Los Angeles City Controller (and former DreamWorks exec) Wendy Greuel and California Partnership director Nancy Berlin.
Update: Brandishing a giant knife, Schwarzenegger outlined the budget plan in a Twitter vid, which includes him using his power of celebrity. He says he’ll autograph state vehicles that will be sold at auction.
Press Conference Politics: The White House’s move of tomorrow night’s press conference from 9 p.m. to 8 p.m. was motivated by concerns that NBC was reluctant to carry it because of the loss of revenue from their entertainment shows, reported James Hibberd of The Live Feed.
The Song Is Wrong: The Republican Party has agreed not to use any musicians’ work without their permission, under a settlement with Jackson Browne when the singer sued the McCain campaign, the Republican National Committee and the Ohio Republican Party for using his song “Running on Empty” in a web ad mocking Barack Obama’s energy policies. Browne was an Obama supporter.
Last year, a string of artists complained when their music was used without permission by both campaigns, although most of the objections were directed at Republicans, perhaps because of the leftward bent of the music business.
“Thousands of people come to an event or they see it on TV and they see John Mellencamp’s song being used or Ann and Nancy Wilson’s song being used and they assume a kind of solidarity and a kind of endorsement that simply does not exist,” Browne told the AP.
“Hopefully it will just go to illustrate there is a legal remedy for this.”
More on Apollo: Slate imagined what coverage of the moon landing would have been like today.