VH1 is washing its hands of Ryan Jenkins, canceling both reality shows that featured the murder suspect, who reportedly committed suicide on Sunday.
In a short announcement on its website, the channel said it was “sad to announce that both ‘Megan Wants a Millionaire’ and ‘I Love Money 3’ officially have been canceled.”
VH1’s decision came a day after Jenkins’ body was found at a hotel in British Columbia. Police had been hunting Jenkins after the reality show contestant was charged with the murder of his ex-wife, model Jasmine Fiore. Fiore’s body had been found stuffed in a suitcase, minus her fingers and teeth.
Jenkins was a contestant on “Megan,” and had recently participated in the production of “I Love Money 3.” At first there was talk that VH1 and producer 51 Minds might find a way to proceed with “Money,” minus Jenkins, but by Monday — and following Jenkins’ death — it was clear that VH1 wanted to distance itself from what had transpired.
There is believed to be no link between Fiore’s death and the two shows, but VH1 and 51 Minds have caught flak for their vetting process, which failed to turn up an earlier charge of assault in Jenkins’ native Canada.
VH1 yanked “Megan” off its schedule soon after Jenkins was revealed as a suspect in Fiore’s death. “I Love Money 3,” the latest edition of the VH1 reality franchise, was slated to run next year.
Reps for VH1 and 51 Minds declined further comment, and neither said they were sure whether plans were afoot to shoot a new edition of “I Love Money 3” to replace the one now shelved.