You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

BBC Worldwide to buy 2entertain

Woolworths DVD arm bought for $150 million

LONDON — BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, is poised to buy DVD publishing business 2entertain from beleaguered U.K. retail store Woolworths in a deal worth an estimated $150 million.

Worldwide already owns 60% of the business while Woolworths controls the remaining 40%.

On Tuesday, Woolworths suspended trading in its stocks as talks were held to save parts of the business.

In a statement, the BBC confirmed that the two parties were talking about a potential sale.

“BBC Worldwide can confirm that it is in discussion with Woolworths Group plc about our joint venture 2entertain, which is a healthy, profitable business,” it said.

2entertain’s portfolio of BBC fare includes DVDs for such titles as “Doctor Who,” “Blue Planet” and “Cranford.”

2entertain performed strongly for Worldwide, according to its last set of annual results, with DVD sales, including coin from 2entertain, up 29%.

Before a sale is agreed, the move will have to be greenlit by the BBC Trust, which regulates the corporation’s commercial activities.

The Trust is under pressure from private companies to rein in the scope of Worldwide’s businesses and last week rejected a plan for local U.K. video-driven news websites.

However, commentators would be surprised if the Trust blocked the bid for the Woolworths’ stake in 2entertain.

More TV

  • Ruth Wilson

    'The Affair's' Ruth Wilson Stays Mum on Controversial Exit

    LONDON — BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, is poised to buy DVD publishing business 2entertain from beleaguered U.K. retail store Woolworths in a deal worth an estimated $150 million. Worldwide already owns 60% of the business while Woolworths controls the remaining 40%. On Tuesday, Woolworths suspended trading in its stocks as talks were held […]

  • NFL Preseason Game

    ESPN Will Not Broadcast National Anthem During ‘Monday Night Football’

    LONDON — BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, is poised to buy DVD publishing business 2entertain from beleaguered U.K. retail store Woolworths in a deal worth an estimated $150 million. Worldwide already owns 60% of the business while Woolworths controls the remaining 40%. On Tuesday, Woolworths suspended trading in its stocks as talks were held […]

  • Fox 21, Warren Littlefield Develop Beth

    Fox 21, Warren Littlefield to Develop Beth Macy’s 'Dopesick'

    LONDON — BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, is poised to buy DVD publishing business 2entertain from beleaguered U.K. retail store Woolworths in a deal worth an estimated $150 million. Worldwide already owns 60% of the business while Woolworths controls the remaining 40%. On Tuesday, Woolworths suspended trading in its stocks as talks were held […]

  • Brooklynn Prince

    'Florida Project' Star Cast in Lead Role of Apple's Hilde Lysiak Series

    LONDON — BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, is poised to buy DVD publishing business 2entertain from beleaguered U.K. retail store Woolworths in a deal worth an estimated $150 million. Worldwide already owns 60% of the business while Woolworths controls the remaining 40%. On Tuesday, Woolworths suspended trading in its stocks as talks were held […]

  • Tom Segura, Christina Pazsitzky

    Tom Segura, Christina Pazsitzky Score Multi-Cam Put Pilot Order at CBS

    LONDON — BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, is poised to buy DVD publishing business 2entertain from beleaguered U.K. retail store Woolworths in a deal worth an estimated $150 million. Worldwide already owns 60% of the business while Woolworths controls the remaining 40%. On Tuesday, Woolworths suspended trading in its stocks as talks were held […]

  • Erin Cardillo and Richard Keith

    Fox Gives Put Pilot Order to Adoption Drama From 'Life Sentence' Creators

    LONDON — BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, is poised to buy DVD publishing business 2entertain from beleaguered U.K. retail store Woolworths in a deal worth an estimated $150 million. Worldwide already owns 60% of the business while Woolworths controls the remaining 40%. On Tuesday, Woolworths suspended trading in its stocks as talks were held […]

  • "Diana," starring Ana Rujas

    Inside Content Nabs International Sales Rights to Montreal Festival Player 'Diana'

    LONDON — BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, is poised to buy DVD publishing business 2entertain from beleaguered U.K. retail store Woolworths in a deal worth an estimated $150 million. Worldwide already owns 60% of the business while Woolworths controls the remaining 40%. On Tuesday, Woolworths suspended trading in its stocks as talks were held […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content