“Twelve in a Box” (U.K.); in competition, New Fiction
- Director: John McKenzie
- A black comedy in the tradition of “Shallow Grave.”
“Chapter 27” (U.S.); not in competition
- Director: Jarrett Schaefer
- Psychological study of the killer of John Lennon.
“Blackout” (U.S.); in competition, New Fiction
- Director: Jerry Lamothe
- Drama set in Brooklyn during the August 2003 blackout.
“The Business of Being Born” (U.S.); in competition, New Documentary
- Director: Abby Epstein
- An illuminating, critical look at the U.S. health-care system.
“Tajnosti” (Little Girl Blue) (Czech Republic); in competition, New Fiction
- Director: Alice Nellis
“Noel — poeta da vila” (The Samba Poet) (Brazil); in competition, Debut Feature
- Director: Ricardo van Stehen
- Portrait of the man who made samba what it is today.
NEW RUSSIAN CINEMA: Eight Russian films will unspool. Sitora Alieva, topper of the Sochi fest, and Andrei Plachov, Russia’s most influential critic, will attend.
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION: As a tie-in with Euro 2008, the European soccer championship that Switzerland is co-hosting with Austria next June, the public is invited to submit screenplays for five-minute soccer-themed shorts. Five winners will get financing for their films, which will be screened and aired during the tourney.