×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘Man’ overboard in Corsica

Co-prod swimming in coin woes, accusations

The suicide of French veteran producer Humbert Balsan has derailed his latest pic “The Man From London” and turned the project into a Euro nightmare.

Production on the French island of Corsica collapsed last week, nine days into the shoot, leaving Hungarian helmer Bela Tarr with 30 minutes worth of film, the European co-production parties with a likely loss of $2 million, the Corsicans with an old Hungarian train and everybody with frayed nerves.

“The Man From London,” based on a Georges Simenon novel, was a complicated affair from the onset: a four-way co-production between France, Hungary, Germany and the U.K., it involved numerous subsidy bodies including the CNC and the Hungarian Motion Picture Foundation and French-German pubcaster ARTE.

Tarr is still determined to resume production this fall, but attempts to get the film back on track have stalled.

Tarr says that after Balsan’s death the Hungarians pumped more money into the production to keep the movie going, but it soon appeared Balsan’s company Ognon was not able to fulfill its obligation after its owner’s death.

Jean-Patrick Costantini is the pic’s exec producer, and his Tanit Films was in charge of the shoot in Bastia, Corsica.

He views Tarr as a gifted auteur who wasn’t up to the task of the complicated shoot, which included clearing the Basia harbor of all boats for two months and hitting deadlines that would enable it to reopen by the spring tourism season.

Tarr blames Tanit for tearing down the set when the cash flow ended. Constantini counters that Tanit is “working every day in harmony with the Hungarians, putting elements of the set into storage.”

Tarr insists he’d rather make a film than end up in court and is in talks with a Gallic company to take over as the French delegate producer.

“I want to stick to our original plan and have the movie ready for Cannes 2006,” he says. “Life and this movie aren’t over yet.”

More Film

  • 'Chambre 212' Review: A Comedy More

    Cannes Film Review: 'Chambre 212'

    Most of us, in our romantic lives, meditate here and there on the other roads we might have traveled, and movies are uniquely equipped to channel those alternate-universe-of-love possibilities. That’s the idea at the (broken) heart of “Casablanca.” And the fantasy of getting to see the turns your life didn’t take play out right in [...]

  • Zach Galifianakis Jerry Seinfeld Netflix

    Film News Roundup: Zach Galifianakis' 'Between Two Ferns: The Movie' Coming to Netflix

    In today’s film news roundup, “Between Two Ferns: The Movie” is unveiled, “Friedkin Uncut” gets a fall release and Sony Classics buys “The Traitor” at Cannes. MOVIE RELEASES Netflix has set a Sept. 20 release date for Zach Galifianakis’ “Between Two Ferns: The Movie,” based on his 11-year-old talk show. Galifianakis made the announcement during [...]

  • Romanian Crime-Thriller 'The Whistlers' Bought for

    Romanian Crime-Thriller 'The Whistlers' Bought for North America

    Magnolia Pictures has bought North American rights to the Romanian crime thriller “The Whistlers” following its premiere in competition at the Cannes Film Festival. Written and directed by Corneliu Porumboiu, the film stars Vlad Ivanov, Catrinel Marlon, Rodica Lazar, Antonio Buil, Agustí Villaronga, Sabin Tambrea, Julieta Szonyi and George Pisterneanu. Magnolia is eyeing a theatrical [...]

  • Naomi Scott Talks Rebooting Princess Jasmine

    'Aladdin': Naomi Scott on Why Her Princess Jasmine Needed Nasim Pedrad's New Character

    Call Naomi Scott the queen of the reboot – or at least, the princess. The 26-year-old actress is taking on the role of Princess Jasmine in Disney’s live-action remake of “Aladdin,” but it’s not her first time jumping into a role that’s already been well-established. Audiences may recognize Scott from 2017’s “Power Rangers” update, where [...]

  • Moby Natalie Portman

    Moby Accuses Natalie Portman of Lying as the Two Spar Over Dating Claims

    In what’s become a he said/she said spat in multiple mediums, Moby, the elder statesman of electronic music, is now accusing actress Natalie Portman of lying and pleading to those on social media for his safety as “physical threats from complete strangers” emerge. To recap: this month, Moby released a new book, “Then It All [...]

  • A QUIET PLACE Emily Blunt

    'A Quiet Place' Sequel Moves Ahead Two Months to March 2020

    Paramount Pictures has moved its sequel to “A Quiet Place” ahead by two months from May 15 to March 20, 2020. John Krasinski is returning to direct the still-untitled movie with Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe reprising their roles. Cillian Murphy is joining the cast. “A Quiet Place” grossed $340 million at the [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content