Murdoch sat wins India OK

ABP deal satisfies authorities after six-month saga

NEW DELHI — Rupert Murdoch’s Indian satcasting operation, Star News, has teamed with Indian media group ABP to broadcast its 24-hour news service in a deal finally acceptable to the government.

It got the greenlight Tuesday, ending a six-month saga during which politicos accused Murdoch of trying to beat India’s strict foreign investment rules.

Star News’ future had been uncertain since its April 1 launch because Murdoch’s Star owned a 49% stake in the holding company it formed to allow it to uplink directly from India.

New Delhi ordered the company to cut its holding in Media Content & Communications Services to 26%.

Repeated attempts by Star to change its shareholding were rejected by the government after it ruled that other equity holders were too closely linked with the company.

A Star spokesman said Tuesday it will hold a 26% stake worth 160 million rupees ($3.5 million) in MCCS. The other 74% will be held by ABP.

More TV

  • Anthony Anderson

    Anthony Anderson Under Criminal Investigation, Disputes Woman's Claims of Assault

    NEW DELHI — Rupert Murdoch’s Indian satcasting operation, Star News, has teamed with Indian media group ABP to broadcast its 24-hour news service in a deal finally acceptable to the government. It got the greenlight Tuesday, ending a six-month saga during which politicos accused Murdoch of trying to beat India’s strict foreign investment rules. Star […]

  • 'Marvel's Cloak & Dagger' Renewed for

    'Marvel's Cloak & Dagger' Renewed for Season 2 at Freeform

    NEW DELHI — Rupert Murdoch’s Indian satcasting operation, Star News, has teamed with Indian media group ABP to broadcast its 24-hour news service in a deal finally acceptable to the government. It got the greenlight Tuesday, ending a six-month saga during which politicos accused Murdoch of trying to beat India’s strict foreign investment rules. Star […]

  • Frances McDormand Oscar theft

    Amazon Showrunners Panel: Frances McDormand Will Star as God in 'Good Omens'

    NEW DELHI — Rupert Murdoch’s Indian satcasting operation, Star News, has teamed with Indian media group ABP to broadcast its 24-hour news service in a deal finally acceptable to the government. It got the greenlight Tuesday, ending a six-month saga during which politicos accused Murdoch of trying to beat India’s strict foreign investment rules. Star […]

  • Amazon Studios SDCC Roundup: Teaser Trailers,

    Amazon Studios SDCC Roundup: Teaser Trailers, Casting, Release Dates

    NEW DELHI — Rupert Murdoch’s Indian satcasting operation, Star News, has teamed with Indian media group ABP to broadcast its 24-hour news service in a deal finally acceptable to the government. It got the greenlight Tuesday, ending a six-month saga during which politicos accused Murdoch of trying to beat India’s strict foreign investment rules. Star […]

  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer

    'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' TV Reboot in Development From Joss Whedon, Monica Owusu-Breen

    NEW DELHI — Rupert Murdoch’s Indian satcasting operation, Star News, has teamed with Indian media group ABP to broadcast its 24-hour news service in a deal finally acceptable to the government. It got the greenlight Tuesday, ending a six-month saga during which politicos accused Murdoch of trying to beat India’s strict foreign investment rules. Star […]

  • Iron Fist

    TV News Roundup: Marvel's 'Iron Fist' Gets Season 2 Premiere Date on Netflix

    NEW DELHI — Rupert Murdoch’s Indian satcasting operation, Star News, has teamed with Indian media group ABP to broadcast its 24-hour news service in a deal finally acceptable to the government. It got the greenlight Tuesday, ending a six-month saga during which politicos accused Murdoch of trying to beat India’s strict foreign investment rules. Star […]

  • Jon Schnepp and Holly Payne g

    'Metalocalypse' Writer-Director Jon Schnepp Dies a 51

    NEW DELHI — Rupert Murdoch’s Indian satcasting operation, Star News, has teamed with Indian media group ABP to broadcast its 24-hour news service in a deal finally acceptable to the government. It got the greenlight Tuesday, ending a six-month saga during which politicos accused Murdoch of trying to beat India’s strict foreign investment rules. Star […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content