×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Chubais to sell stake in Russia’s TVS web

Move may result in rival Deripaska controlling station

MOSCOW — Ownership structures at Russia’s TVS channel face radical changes, after shareholder Anatoly Chubais announced late Thursday that he will sell his stake in the station.

Move should end a long-running clash of interests that has seen Chubais and allies, who together controlled 45% of the company, locked in conflict with rival Oleg Deripaska, who held a similar stake.

In the year since it first went on air, staffed mainly by veterans of NTV, the station has suffered from both considerable financial problems and lack of clarity over its concept.

Chubais’ announcement came in response to a proposal from Deripaska either to buy the controlling stake or to sell his own stake to Chubais if the latter came through with a bid. The rumored sum was $10 million, plus forgiveness on any share of existing debts.

Though Thursday’s announcement suggested that Chubais would sell his stake to Oleg Kiselyev and Igor Linshits, fellow shareholders from his own camp, the expected end result will be that Deripaska, a metals magnate, will come to own or control the full 90% of station. The remaining 10% stake is divided between its managers and journalists.

Sources within TVS admit that morale has been low for months, with wage arrears leading to threatened walkouts. Many of the top faces who originally followed director general Yevgeny Kiselyev when he walked out of NTV at the end of a bitter political battle are now to be seen on other channels.

More pressing is the need to stop the partial switchoff of the channel’s signal in Moscow that has been ongoing in recent days.

The city-owned cable operator that transmits to the majority of Moscow homes claims that TVS has an outstanding debt of $8.2 million. The channel disputes this.

Business problems aside, the channel faces a hot political year as well. With both presidential and parliamentary elections coming up in Russia in that period, the largely independent –and often critical — political line at TVS looks set to be squarely tested.

More TV

  • One Dollar CBS All Access

    'One Dollar' Canceled by CBS All Access After One Season

    “One Dollar” has the ignominious distinction of being the first CBS All Access original series to be canceled. Variety has confirmed that the streaming service will not be bringing the drama series back for a second season. The series was set in a small rust belt town in post-recession America, where a one-dollar bill changing [...]

  • Giancarlo Esposito Werner Herzog Carl Weathers

    'The Mandalorian' Adds Giancarlo Esposito, Werner Herzog, Carl Weathers to Cast

    “The Mandalorian” cast has taken shape. The upcoming live-action “Star Wars” streaming series has revealed that the cast now includes Giancarlo Esposito, Emily Swallow, Carl Weathers, Omid Abtahi, and Werner Herzog. They join previously announced cast members Pedro Pascal, Nick Nolte, and Gina Carano. As with all things “Star Wars,” the exact nature of each actor’s [...]

  • THE KOMINSKY METHOD

    Chuck Lorre Gets Personal as Kudos Pile Up for 'The Kominsky Method'

    With three SAG Award noms adding to the momentum of kudos recognition for Netflix’s “The Kominsky Method,” the show has quickly become the most well-received series in Chuck Lorre’s long career in television. It’s also among the most personal. “I wanted to write about getting older and all that that entails,” Lorre told Variety. “I wanted to [...]

  • Shows we Quit in 2018 Westworld

    TV Shows We Quit in 2018

    With approximately 500 scripted series premiering new seasons in 2018, sometimes it feels like the television landscape is like a bubble. If it keeps getting inflated larger and larger, eventually something will have to give and it will pop, right? Well, maybe not for the platforms on which these shows are released — after all, [...]

  • Maniac

    Emma Stone, Darren Criss and More React to SAG Award Nominations

    The nominations for the 25th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were revealed on Wednesday morning, and “A Star Is Born” commanded the list with four noms alongside TV series “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” and “Ozark.” The awards recognize acting and ensemble performances across television and film, and this year, plenty of performers will be competing [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content