×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Helmer leaves ‘Snicket’ post

Carrey starrer hoping for 2004 release

Just as Paramount and Nickelodeon Films enlist DreamWorks as partner on “Lemony Snicket’s a Series of Unfortunate Events,” director Barry Sonnenfeld has exited the film.

But whether he was sacked or left on his own depends on the storyteller.

Sonnenfeld’s exit follows producer Scott Rudin’s decision to ankle the project late last year after bruising budget battles (Daily Variety, Dec. 13). Jim Carrey is still aboard as the film’s star, subject to Par and DreamWorks hiring a new director to his liking. Paramount will retain domestic distribution territories while DreamWorks takes foreign.

DreamWorks film principals Walter Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and Steven Spielberg are expected to take the creative lead, as they are more adept at managing special effects-heavy franchise spectacles for the half-pint set than Paramount. Par has been struggling with the budget of the film for months.

As for the departure of Sonnenfeld, there was a difference of opinion what sparked this latest in a series of unfortunate events. The director doesn’t get along with Parkes, who produced Sonnenfeld’s “Men in Black 2.” But sources said Sonnenfeld still expected to be the film’s director until his reps were informed the studios would be replacing him.

“Snicket” is Sonnenfeld’s favorite book, and he hung in when Paramount asked for cuts in the budget and in the compensation of the principal players.

That prompted the exit of Rudin, who set up the project to produce with Nickelodeon’s Albie Hecht and Julia Pistor.

Paramount vice chairman/COO Rob Friedman flatly denied the idea that Sonnenfeld was axed.

“We did not fire him,” he said. “He withdrew from the project once Paramount and DreamWorks became partners.”

Paramount hopes to have the project ready to go for a summer start date and a 2004 release for what Par has viewed as its answer to WB’s “Harry Potter” film series.

Sonnenfeld would not comment on his exit, but when Rudin ankled, the director acknowledged that Par’s Sherry Lansing and Jon Dolgen got very tough on a film whose budget was a shade under $100 million at the time.

About $9 million was saved by moving a Gotham shoot to Wilmington, N.C., but Par wanted an additional cut of $5 million. The director favored taking a break to allow author and screenwriter Daniel Handler to lose some of the pricier pages so that Par’s dollar demands could be met.

More Film

  • Robert Iger and Rupert Murdochcredit: Disney

    Wall Street Applauds as Disney Nears Finish Line on Fox Acquisition

    Wall Street is rooting for Disney as the media giant reaches the finish line this week in its 15-month quest to acquire most of Rupert Murdoch’s film and TV empire. Fox shareholders, on the other hand, are being a little more cautious. Disney is poised to close the $71.3 billion deal that took many twists [...]

  • Personal Tales From Hong Kong, China

    Personal Tales From Hong Kong and China Among the Asia Film Financing Forum Projects

    A brace of personal tales from China and Hong Kong are among the 23 projects vying for attention at the 17th Hong Kong Asia Film Financing Forum. Liu Miaomiao is a rare female ethnic Hui Muslim filmmaker. She came to international prominence with 1993’s “Chatterbox” that won the President of the Italian Senate’s Gold Medal [...]

  • Josie Ho Makes 2019 the Year

    Josie Ho Makes 2019 the Year She Takes Risks in Her Film Choices

    Josie Ho vows to master the art of calculated risk in the year 2019. As an actress and film producer, she is conscious of the choices of projects she makes: appearing in the new film by Japanese hotshot director Shinichiro Ueda, producing a new documentary feature while developing some 10 titles in the pipeline of [...]

  • FilMart: Big Data, Content Key to

    FilMart: Big Data, Content Key to iQIYI's Online Ambitions

    Tech and data play a huge role for iQIYI, China’s second-largest streaming platform, as a way to innovate and step out ahead of its competitors, iQIYI founder and CEO Yu Gong explained in a keynote speech Monday at FilMart. “We don’t see a lot of innovation-driven entertainment companies yet. We want to be the one,” [...]

  • Ted Sarandos and Thierry Fremaux'Okja' photocall,

    Despite Ongoing Peace Talks, Netflix Won't Have Any Movies at Cannes 2019 (EXCLUSIVE)

    Although Netflix and the Cannes Film Festival continue quietly to negotiate a potential settlement to their differences, the streaming giant will be absent from the Croisette again this year with no film in or out of competition, Variety has learned. The ongoing talks between the two sides have been friendly, including a dinner in Los [...]

  • Series Mania Showcases Shlomi Elkabetz-Produced Series

    Series Mania to Showcase Shlomi Elkabetz-Produced Series 'The Dreamers'

    “The Dreamers,” one of the series to be presented at Series Mania’s Co-Pro Pitching Sessions, is a 10-part crime comedy produced by prominent Israeli filmmaker Shlomi Elkabetz (“Gett”) and Galit Cachlon at Deux Beaux Garcons Films. Produced for Israeli cable TV operator HOT, the series will be directed by Maysaloun Hamoud, a young Hungarian-born Palestinian [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content