Actors often thirst for attention, but even they are stunned by the plethora of pitches in the campaign to combine SAG and AFTRA.
With the June 30 deadline for ballots fast approaching, thesps have received dozens of brochures, postcards, e-mails, phone calls and enclosures in residual checks — mostly but not entirely pro-merger. Here’s a tally:
- Pages in the eight official information pamphlets: 122.
- L.A. press conferences (pro and con): 8.
- Official information meetings: 47.
- Official debates: 0.
- Web sites devoted to the issue: 11.
- Years since merger was first proposed: 65.
- Estimated costs to complete the entire process if the deal is approved: $1.75 million from SAG, $1 million from AFTRA.
- Official endorsements (pro and con): 1,000.
- Mistaken endorsements against: 3 (Billy Baldwin, Helen Hunt, Shirley Knight).
- Mistaken endorsements for: 2 (Russ McGinn, Andrew Prine).
- Former SAG presidents for: 4 (Patty Duke, Barry Gordon, Richard Masur, William Schallert).
- Former SAG presidents against: 6 (Ed Asner, William Daniels, Charlton Heston, Howard Keel, Kathleen Nolan, Dennis Weaver).