Former “China Beach” star Dana Delany is reuniting with producers John Wells and Lydia Woodward to star in CBS’ new hospital drama “Presidio Med,” while “Saturday Night Live” alum Cheri Oteri has joined ABC’s comedy pilot “With You in Spirit.”
In addition, “ER’s” Ming-Na has been cast as the femme lead in ABC’s interracial-couple comedy pilot from John Ridley, as the networks continue finalizing pilot casting Tuesday.
Delaney, who stars in the on-hiatus Fox drama “Pasadena,” will play pediatric doctor Dr. Julia “Jules” Keating in “Presidio Med,” which has a 13-episode commitment from CBS. Wells and Woodward were exec producers of “China Beach” when Delany starred on the groundbreaking ABC drama.
John Wells Prods. and Warner Bros. TV are producing “Presidio,” with Wells and Woodward exec producing. Chris Chulack directs. Delaney, who is repped by the William Morris Agency, stars in the upcoming Showtime pic “Conviction” with Omar Epps.
Over at ABC, Oteri will play Montana — aka “The Weather Girl” — in 20th Century Fox TV’s “Spirit,” from scribes Steven Levitan (“Just Shoot Me”) and Alan Cohen & Alan Freedland (“King of the Hill”). Laffer revolves around a recent college grad (Reid Scott) who gets a job as a reporter in the New Age town of Spirit, N.M.
Levitan so far has a good track record working with “SNL” alumni: David Spade moved from the NBC sketch comedy to the Levitan-penned “Just Shoot Me.” Oteri, who’s repped by ICM and Michael Gendler, starred last season in the Eye pilot “Loomis.”
Elsewhere at the Alphabet, Ming-Na, who plays Dr. Jing-Mei Chen on “ER,” is the first to be cast in the Ridley laffer that Touchstone is producing for ABC. Her character is married to an African-American man, not yet cast.
Under her deal for “ER,” the ICM-repped actress has the right to do a pilot. If the Ridley project gets picked-up, thesp will exit “ER” and go ahead with the ABC series. If not, she’ll remain with “ER.”
Thesp previously starred in the NBC sitcom “The Single Guy.”
Ridley is writing-exec producing the ABC pilot, while Nina Wass and Gene Stein also are exec producing.
In other pilot casting news:
- Lauren Tom (“DAG”) and Byron Mann have been cast as parents Jean and Chuck in ABC’s untitled martial arts family drama penned by the prolific Ridley. Rona Figueroa and Dante Basco also have been cast, as kids Kelli and Jason, in the Touchstone-produced project. Ridley is writing-exec producing the drama, about a family of Wutan Temple warriors who battle evil. Kevin Misher is exec producing.
- Casting has started for ABC’s Touchstone-produced laffer “Regular Joe,” a family show from scribe/exec producer David Litt; Nina Wass and Gene Stein are also exec producers. Eric Christian Olsen (“Not Another Teen Movie” and Kelly Karbacz have been tapped to play family members.
- Gigi Rice, Michael Milhoan and Angela Goethals have joined Penn Badgley in the WB comedy pilot “Do Over” for Paramount TV and the Littlefield Co. Rice (“The John Larroquette Show”), Milhoan (“3rd Rock From the Sun”) and Goethals (“Storytelling”) are set to play the mother, father and teen sister, respectively, of Badgley’s character, Joel.
The half-hour single-camera show follows a man sent back to the 1980s with a chance to relive high school.
- A number of names have been added to the cast roster of WB/Spelling pilot “Brats,” which revolves around a military man (Rob Estes), who returns home to his wife and kids after an 18-month tour of duty. Joining newly cast Tammy Townsend are newcomers Patrick Stogner, Danica Stewart, Grace Caroline Fulton, Drew Fuller and Jeremy Ray Valdez. Winifred Hervey wrote the one- hour drama and will produce with Aaron Spelling and E. Duke Vincent.
- Also at the Frog, drama pilot “The Black Sash,” from Warner Bros. TV and Tollin-Robbins, has added young thesps Missy Peregrym and Sarah Carter. Skein is about a former cop (not yet cast) who becomes a martial arts instructor. Robert Kamen is the scribe-exec producer. Dylan Sellers also exec produces, along with the folks at Tollin-Robbins.
(Jill Feiwell contributed to this report.)