HOLLYWOOD — The writers of “A Beautiful Mind,” “Bridget Jones’s Diary,” “In the Bedroom,” “Lord of the Rings” and “The Shipping News” have been nominated for USC’s 14th Scripter Award — an honor that recognizes both the author and screenwriter for a film adaptation.
Producer Albert Ruddy, chair of this year’s 50-member selection committee — comprised of scripters, authors, WGA members and faculty, among others — announced the nominees Tuesday on behalf of the Friends of the USC Libraries, which sponsors the award.
Nod is bestowed annually in honor of the single superlative achievement in adaptation among English-lingo pics based on books or novellas that were released the previous year.
Past winners include the authors and screenwriters of “Wonder Boys,” “A Civil Action,” “L.A. Confidential” and “The English Patient.”
Winning team will be announced Jan. 15 and feted March 16 at a black-tie gala in the Edward L. Doheny Jr. Memorial Library on the USC campus.
These are the nominees:
- “A Beautiful Mind” — Akiva Goldsman, screenwriter; Sylvia Nasar, author (Universal Pictures, Imagine Entertainment; Simon & Schuster)
- “Bridget Jones’s Diary” — Helen Fielding and Andrew Davies and Richard Curtis, screenwriters; Helen Fielding, author (Miramax, Universal Pictures; Picador)
- “In the Bedroom” — Rob Festinger and Todd Field, screenwriters; Andre Dubus, author, “Killings,” published in Selected Stories (Miramax; Vintage)
- “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” — Frances Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson, screenwriters; J.R.R. Tolkien, author (New Line Cinema; Houghton Mifflin)
- “The Shipping News” — Robert Nelson Jacobs, screenwriter; E. Annie Proulx, author (Columbia Pictures, Miramax, TriStar Pictures; Simon & Schuster)