×

Frog bumps its pricey ‘Baby’

Successful comedy slate pushes skein to shelf

The WB is no longer feeling the blues — “Baby Blues,” that is.

Frog has decided to shelve the entire 13-episode second season of the animated laffer as well as six segs held over from the skein’s first season — even though all 19 episodes of the series have been produced and paid for, at a cost of more than $15 million.

WB execs moved to kill “Baby” following a successful 2001-02 comedy development slate, which resulted in five new live-action, adult-oriented half-hours being added to the net’s fall lineup. With no other toon comedies in the Frog hopper — and no other compatible shows in the offing — “Baby” quickly became an orphan.

What’s more, the WB took advantage of accounting rules related to the merger of parent Time Warner with AOL that made shelving the series a more attractive financial option than simply burning off the episodes in the summer, according to insiders. The reason: The Frog was able to prove that “Baby” no longer fit into the net’s long-term strategic plans.

TNT in same situation

Indeed, WB sister net TNT killed original drama “Breaking News” last spring, deciding not to air the 13 episodes of the skein already produced (Daily Variety, May 23.)

Net execs at the time said the show no longer fit where the net was headed, but it’s also believed TNT likewise may be able to take advantage of the merger accounting rules to reduce (or eliminate) the financial impact of killing the show.

Even without the merger, it now seems unlikely “Baby” would have had much of a future on the WB.

After a five-year development process, series generated OK ratings when the WB aired six episodes in July 2000. However, WB execs believed in the series creatively and also were looking for backup programming in the event of a writers’ strike; as a result the net ordered a second season of 13 episodes (Daily Variety, Sept. 13.)

But the strike threat fizzled, and the WB’s comedy development slate turned out particularly strong. Since previous attempts at toon laffers — “Mission Hill,” “The Oblongs” and Fox import “The PJs”– failed to find success, and there was no real need for or companion to “Baby,” WB execs decided to “cut the cord,” as one exec said.

‘Difficult decision’

And so, earlier this summer, Frog heads quietly shelved “Baby,” which was exec produced by Jeff Martin and Peter Ocko for Warner Bros. Television.

“It was a very difficult decision to make,” said WB Entertainment prexy Jordan Levin. “Jeff and Peter did a wonderful job bringing it to life … But from a business and scheduling standpoint, it becomes very difficult to program animation when it doesn’t have the potential to break out like ‘The Simpsons.’ ”

The WB and Warner Bros. did find a way to utilize the talents of Martin: He’s an exec producer of “Maybe It’s Me,” considered one of the Frog’s hottest fall comedy prospects.

More TV

  • Alton Brown

    TV News Roundup: Food Network Announces Premiere Date of 'Good Eats: The Return'

    In today’s roundup, Showtime releases a full-length trailer for “On Becoming a God in Central Florida” and Food Network announces the return of Alton Brown’s “Good Eats.”  DATES After taking a break from the series, Alton Brown will bring “Good Eats” back to Food Network’s primetime lineup with “Good Eats: The Return.”  In its first [...]

  • 9-1-1: Angela Bassett in the series

    Fox Sees Primetime, Sports Ad Gains As TV Upfront Wraps

    Fox Corporation is the latest to benefit from stronger-than-expected trends in TV ad spending, as the company notched strong gains in advertising commitments for its next cycle of programming – its first since selling off a large chunk of its media assets to Walt Disney. Ad demand was stronger than many executives anticipated, according to [...]

  • Charles Levin Obit

    Missing 'Seinfeld' Actor Charles Levin's Body Believed to be Found

    Oregon authorities believe they have found the body of the missing “Seinfeld” actor Charles Levin. He was 70 years old. According to Associated Press, Levin’s son reported the actor missing from Grants Pass on July 8. On July 12, search and rescue teams determined a search area in a remote area northeast of Selma with [...]

  • Oliver Jackson-Cohen Invisible Man

    ‘Haunting of Hill House’ Star Oliver Jackson-Cohen Returning for ‘Haunting of Bly Manor’

    Oliver Jackson-Cohen, who was recently cast as the titular character in the upcoming Blumhouse-Universal Pictures feature “The Invisible Man,” is set to haunt viewers once more on Netflix. Jackson-Cohen, who starred in “The Haunting of Hill House,” will return to star in the second installment of the Netflix anthology series, titled “The Haunting of Bly Manor.” [...]

  • Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

    Amazon to Develop 'Jack Reacher' Series

    Watch out Tom Cruise, there’s going to be another Jack Reacher in town. In a competitive situation, Amazon has won the rights to develop a series based on the protagonist from Lee Child’s novels. The series hails from “Scorpion” creator Nick Santora, who will write, showrun and executive produce. Child’s “Jack Reacher” series has sold over [...]

  • Fox News Media Taps Jason Klarman

    Fox News Media Taps Jason Klarman as Executive VP, Marketing

    Jason Klarman, a veteran TV executive who has served stints at NBCUniversal and Fullscreen Media, has been named executive vice president of Fox Corporation’s Fox News Media, and will supervise brand strategy for Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network and other assets that are part of the division. Klarman will report to Suzanne Scott, CEO [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content