×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

KCMG now jammin’ to a new name

Station goes urban AC, changes handle to 'Hot 92.3'

The obituary to radio’s once-hot “Jammin’ Oldies” format can now be written.

Clear Channel’s Los Angeles outlet KCMG-FM (92.3) — which launched the format, a potpourri of R&B classics, soul and disco, to much fanfare in 1998 — switched to an urban AC sound Thursday evening.

The station has applied for the call letters KHHT-FM and will go by the handle “Hot 92.3” effective immediately.

KCMG found success early on with the “Jammin’ Oldies” mix, which convinced Clear Channel to copy the format on stations across the country in markets such as New York and Washington.

Most of those stations have long since swapped sounds. KCMG, which went by the name “Mega 92.3,” was one of the format’s last holdouts.

Clear Channel execs said the flip to urban AC completed its strategy of owning a portfolio of AC stations in the market targeted toward adults 18 to 49 including KYSR-FM, KOST-FM and KBIG-FM.

KCMG jocks George Lopez, Theo, Smokey Robinson and Sean Andre will remain, although in unspecified “different roles.”

KHHT will go without commercials and DJs for now. 70 percent of KHHT’s playlist will consist of oldies, while the other 30 percent will include newer artists such as Alicia Keys and Jill Scott.

Popular on Variety

More News

  • disney d23

    Cruella, Kit Harington and Black Panther's Return: Everything We Learned at D23 Day Two

    Not to be outdone by the avalanche of series orders and casting announcements bolstering the new streaming series Disney Plus, Walt Disney Studios showed off its film wares in a marathon presentation at D23 on Saturday. The Anaheim, Calif. expo brought star power, if perhaps fewer surprises than Friday’s presentation, as fans in princess and [...]

  • Harvey Weinstein, Katie Holmes, Taylor Swift'The

    Taylor Swift Downplays Association With Harvey Weinstein

    Taylor Swift’s association with disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein was among the topics the singer addressed in a revealing new interview with The Guardian. Weinstein held producer credits for the movies “One Chance” and “The Giver,” both of which featured Swift — in the former, a song, and in the latter, a supporting role. She [...]

  • Breaking Bad Movie

    'Breaking Bad' Movie: Watch the First Teaser for 'El Camino'

    In case you hadn’t heard, Emmy-winning drama “Breaking Bad” is cooking up a movie sequel. On Saturday, after details of Netflix’s project quietly leaked online, the streaming giant issued the first teaser for “El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie,” which will be released on October 11. Starring Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman, the “Breaking Bad” [...]

  • Breaking Bad

    'Breaking Bad' Movie Release Date, Title and Plot Revealed

    The “Breaking Bad” movie is coming to Netflix sooner than you might think. The film, titled “El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie,” is now set to be released on Netflix on Oct. 11, according to a report from the New York Times, with Aaron Paul returning as the series’ popular meth cook Jesse Pinkman. Jesse [...]

  • Samara Weaving and Adam Brody Big

    'Ready or Not': That Time Samara Weaving Hit Andie MacDowell in the Face

    Samara Weaving didn’t mean to hurt Andie MacDowell, but she did just that while they were rehearsing for their new horror dark comedy “Ready or Not.” “I hit Andie MacDowell in the face by accident,” Weaving says on this week’s episode of “The Big Ticket,” Variety and iHeart’s movie podcast. “It was horrible. It was [...]

  • Laurence FishburneNational Memorial Day Concert Dress

    Laurence Fishburne to Produce 'Marvel's Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur' Series for Disney Channel

    Laurence Fishburne is stepping into the animation game. The “Matrix” star is set to executive produce “Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur,” an animated series which has been given the greenlight at Disney Channel. Based on Marvel’s comic book series, the show hails from from Disney Television Animation and follows the adventures of 13-year-old super-genius [...]

  • Aracne

    Chile’s Sanfic, Mexico’s Morbido Fest Pact to Promote Latino Horror (EXCLUSIVE)

    Mexican horror festival Morbido and Chile’s Santiago Intl. Film Festival (Sanfic) have agreed on a long-term collaboration intended to strengthen the genre film industry in Chile and across Latin America. This partnership will see Morbido representatives attend the Sanfic industry section each year to aid in the promotion of horror projects and advise those projects [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content