×

New Line nixes ‘Town’ meeting

No glitzy preem for troubled $90 mil pic

NEW YORK — When New Line Cinema’s “Town & Country” unspools on 2,200 screens nationwide on Friday, it will do so without the usual ritual of a premiere screening and party.

The studio says stars Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton are working on projects and hence are unavailable for an official preem. “The reason there is no premiere is talent availability,” said a New Line rep, dogmatically. Who can dispute it?

But why is Hawn available to host a small screening Thursday to benefit her charity Rent a Smile? The NL rep was tight-lipped about where that screening will be held and who will attend.

Seldom is talent unavailable for a pic a studio has sunk $90 million into. Talent makes itself available, even in times of pre-strike hysteria.

“We have been spending a good amount of money to open the movie,” a New Line source said of the studio’s marketing campaign. “We are spending what you would normally spend. We don’t expect this to be an embarrassment. There’s nothing that is going to stop people from going to see the movie.”

But the question remains: Will enough of them go see it?

New Line does not seem to be banking on the media to promote the film. Although the finished print has been available for two weeks, most of the media will only get to see it on Wednesday — a mere two days before it opens nationwide. Invitations to those three Wednesday shows have been scarce, and many media members have been told there isn’t room for a guest.

The studio says it let some of the journalists writing actor profiles watch the film last week.

Studio scapegoat

New Line used “Town and Country,” not to mention “Little Nicky,” as part of its rationale for firing the filmmaker-friendly Michael De Luca. So why is the company acting as though it’s doing nothing unusual with the Warren Beatty starrer that, several years and roughly $90 million later, has caused everyone so many headaches?

For most of the country that sees television spots promoting the film, “Town and Country” is a piece of Hollywood product they will either see, wait to see on video or pass on altogether. But for insiders, word of the troubled pic has spread like wildfire. The New York Times recently weighed in with an in-depth examination of the pic’s travails. The headline: “Stumbling Toward a Theater Near You.”

Popular on Variety

More Film

  • 'Blue Story' Review: A British Invasion

    'Blue Story': Film Review

    The blockbusters will be postponed, the indie films in many cases will head straight to streaming. But even before the apple cart of movie distribution got tipped over, “Blue Story” had traced an unlikely path. , it was written and directed by Andrew Onwubolu, the London-based rapper, producer, actor, and director who bills himself as [...]

  • Battle of Jangsari

    Megan Fox’s ‘Battle of Jangsari’ Inks Multiple Sales Deals

    Korean-made war film “Battle of Jangsari,” which features Megan Fox in a key role as a front line reporter, is set to play in multiple European and Asian territories. The film already had a deal with WellGo USA for North America. Seoul-based sales agent, Finecut said that it had additionally licensed the film to Pandastorm [...]

  • Doc Edge 2019 Forum

    New Zealand’s Doc Edge Festival To Shift Online

    Doc Edge, New Zealand’s annual factual film festival, will this year become an online-only event. Instead of cancelling due to the disruptions to production and travel caused by the coronavirus outbreak, the festival will move all screenings and events into the virtual space. The virtual festival is scheduled to run between May 28 and June [...]

  • SAG-AFTRA HQ

    SAG-AFTRA Health Plan Cuts Premiums by 50% Due to Coronavirus Crisis

    The SAG-AFTRA Health Plan has cut 50% from the cost of premiums for the second quarter in response to the coronavirus crisis. SAG-AFTRA members were notified of the reduction on Wednesday via a message from SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris and national executive director David White. They said the cuts would cover participants who had been [...]

  • Dolly Parton at the Grand Ole

    Film News Roundup: Dolly Parton Donates $1 Million for Research on Coronavirus Cure

    In today’s film news roundup, Dolly Parton makes a donation for coronavirus cure, Howie Mandel and Ashlee Simpson join the voice cast of “Pierre The Pigeon-Hawk” and American Documentary launches an artists emergency fund. RESEARCH DONATION Dolly Parton has donated $1 million to Nashville’s Vanderbilt Hospital to help aid research to find a cure for [...]

  • Amy Adams Jennifer Garner

    Jennifer Garner, Amy Adams on 'Save With Stories,' Helping Children During Coronavirus Quarantine

    Jennifer Garner and Amy Adams are opening their contact lists for their new endeavor to help children during the coronavirus pandemic. Not long after the U.S. came to a screeching halt because of COVID-19, the two superstars launched “SaveWithStories,” an Instagram account that features celebrities and other notable figures reading children’s books. The line-up already [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content