HOLLYWOOD — Next year’s Oscars will take place at Hollywood’s new Kodak Theater after all, as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences is satisfied that security will be up to scratch.
Academy Award organizers had threatened to switch the ceremony to the Shrine Auditorium, a frequent host of the kudocast in the past, if logistical and security stipulations were not in place by Oct. 15 (Daily Variety, Sept. 19).
The deadline was set to allow the Acad to book the March 24 Oscar date at the Shrine in case of a snafu at the Kodak, Acad spokeswoman Leslie Unger said.
However, Acad officials and TrizecHahn, owner of the Kodak Theater — to be Oscar’s permanent home — agreed to terms Friday.
“We have put in place arrangements to ensure the highest level of security and are delighted with the cooperation of TrizecHahn in that regard,” Acad prexy Frank Pierson said.
Discussions are continuing over other issues, such as parking spaces for press members and the amount of time allowed for the customary “orchid walk” into the theater, but both sides indicated that progress was being made. Another matter raised previously was the extent of pre-show security sweeps of stores lining the route from Hollywood Boulevard to the theater.
The Kodak Theater anchors a nearly $600 million development at Hollywood and Highland Avenue. A handful of events have been scheduled this year at the yet-to-be-finished Kodak, including Theater L.A.’s Ovation Awards on Nov. 12, a four-day run of “Bear in the Big Blue House” starting Nov. 15, and American Ballet Theater’s “The Nutcracker” opening Dec. 14.
Separately, the second annual Latin Grammy Awards have been officially canceled and a system for getting trophies to the recipients will be forthcoming.
The decision was made by the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences and the Latin Recording Academy after discussions with CBS, Cossette Prods., venue operators, talent reps and others. The awards show was scheduled for Sept. 11 at the Forum and was canceled several hours after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
“Regrettably, (we) must report that it is simply impossible to reschedule a live, international show of this magnitude,” NARAS prexy-CEO Michael Greene said in a statement.
(Phil Gallo contributed to this report.)