PARIS — After years of declining interest in the 1990s, the Monte Carlo TV market (Feb. 20-23) may get a new lease on life. The mart, which is the first major European gathering of TV execs of the year, has reported that 242 buyers have signed up, a 15% increase on this year’s event.
Market general manager David Tomatis told Daily Variety the number of sales companies looks set to rise by 8% to around 140.
“I think we can safely say that the renewal of interest shown in 1999 is being confirmed for 2000,” Tomatis said.
Up for discussion
After a well-received launch last year, the market and Variety again will co-host discussions on the format business, offering two debates.
“I think the intimacy of Monte Carlo allows people to really concentrate on the growing format business, where other, bigger markets don’t lend themselves well to this,” Tomatis noted.
The Variety-Monte Carlo Forum is expected to focus on gameshow formats as well as the possibility of formatting non-gameshow programs.
Running alongside the market will be the 40th Monte Carlo TV Festival (Feb. 17-23).