Veteran NBC Studios exec Gary Considine is giving up oversight of the Peacock’s Gotham-based latenight shows in order to take on new responsibilities as exec producer of syndie showbiz strip “Access Hollywood.”
Move fills a slot at “Access” vacant since the departure of program creator and executive producer Jim Van Messel last July.
Considine, a 16-year vet of NBC, will continue to serve as the NBC Studios exec in charge of the network’s Los Angeles-based latenight efforts, which include “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” “Later” and “Friday Night.” However, he’ll no longer be involved with Gotham-based “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” or “Saturday Night Live.”
As for his new role as exec producer of “Access,” Considine had previously overseen aspects of the show, but will now solidify his ties to it.
Meanwhile, the newsmag has upped Rob Silverstein to co-exec producer and Barry Berk and Clay Smith to supervising producer posts.
“We are pleased to have our senior team in place to lead ‘Access Hollywood’ into the new millennium,” said Pat Wallace, prexy of NBC Television Stations. “This dynamic group, under Gary’s leadership, will continue to provide the viewers of ‘Access Hollywood’ with the most authoritative and comprehensive entertainment newsmagazine on television.”
Silverstein was most recently senior broadcast producer for the show, a post he had held since January 1997.
Smith will oversee the show’s segment producers and spearhead its pursuit of celeb interviews, while Berk will run the news division of the newsmag and continue to oversee the show’s field producers.
“The production experience and industry relationships that Rob, Clay and Barry bring to the table are extensive,” Considine said. “They have made an invaluable contribution to the success of ‘Access Hollywood’ to date, and I look forward to working alongside them as we take the show to the next level.”