×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Showtime axes Gelbart ‘Fast Track’

Racing show a ratings drag

NEW YORK — Showtime has canceled Larry Gelbart’s race-car series “Fast Track” after a one-season run of 22 hourlong episodes.

“Showtime told me it couldn’t sell the notion of the world of Nascar drivers to the Hispanic and black audience that makes up a large percentage of its viewers,” Gelbart told Daily Variety.

A spokesman for Showtime acknowledges that blacks constitute more than 20% of the network’s typical audience and Hispanics more than 10%, but adds that the overall viewership for “Fast Track” was not high enough to warrant a renewal of the series.

Gelbart, whose credits included TV’s “MASH” and the feature “Tootsie,” said that he and his partner Gary Markowitz, the executive producers of “Fast Track,” “weren’t able to do enough real racing scenes to pull in the stock-car enthusiasts.”

The budget also dictated that “Fast Track” be shot in Toronto, which is not exactly a mecca for Nascar racing. “We didn’t have a Nascar track in Toronto,” Gelbart said, adding that most of the actors used in the series — and all of the directors — were Canadian.

Gelbart says that American actors would have cost more money, both in salary and in airfare and accommodations. Three of the regular cast members of the series were Canadian: Fred Williamson, Duncan Rehegr and Brandy Ledford. The lead was Keith Carradine.

TV series about race-car drivers have rarely turned up on broadcast TV, in syndication or on cable, says Mark Zakarin, executive VP of original programming for Showtime. He chalks up the lack of interest in fictional accounts of the Nascar world to industry perception that they have limited appeal, so the network knew it was taking a risk in greenlighting the project.

More TV

  • TV News Roundup: 'Million Dollar Mile'

    TV News Roundup: 'Million Dollar Mile' Debuts Exclusive First Look

    In today’s roundup, “Million Dollar Mile” releases an exclusive clip and CBS announces premiere dates for three shows.  DATES CBS has announced premiere dates for one new series and two returning series. The new action adventure series “Blood and Treasure” will debut with a two-hour episode Tuesday, May 21 at 9 p.m. right after the [...]

  • WGA Agents Contract Tug of War

    Agents Accuse Writers Guild of Threatening to Throw 'Industry Into Chaos'

    UPDATE – The dealmakers appear to be getting nowhere. Negotiators for Hollywood agents and the Writers Guild of America have achieved little progress at their seventh session on Tuesday, with a chaotic scenario looming on April 7. “When Guild leadership is ready to move on from their declared threatening phase, we stand ready to work [...]

  • Jussie Smollett Empire

    Assessing 'Empire' Options After Jussie Smollett Charges Dropped

    The shocking Jussie Smollett saga took another twist on Tuesday after prosecutors announced they have dropped all charges against the “Empire” star. Smollett had been indicted on 16 counts of filing a false police report, but now that those counts have all disappeared, studio 20th Century Fox finds itself in a sticky situation as to [...]

  • Jussie Smollett

    Jussie Smollett's Legal Drama Eclipses the Rest of His Story (Column)

    Like so many other stories these days, the Jussie Smollett legal saga seemed governed not by coherent logic, but by chaos, and, in its absence of narrative, invites any observer to find in it the story they prefer hearing. Smollett, the “Empire” star who had been in legal jeopardy due to allegations of staging a [...]

  • Contract Placeholder Business WGA ATA Agent

    Writers Guild Plans for Agency Pact Expiration: 'There Will Be Difficult Moments'

    Leaders of the Writers Guild of America have sent members contingency plans for the possible expiration of its agency franchise agreement on April 7 — and admitted that it may be a rocky road. Members received the letter Tuesday from the guild’s negotiating committee as the WGA and agents were about the hold their seventh [...]

  • univision-dish blackout

    Univision, Dish Network Reach Carriage Deal After Nine-Month Blackout

    Univision and satcaster Dish Network have reached a carriage agreement after a nine-month blackout that marked one of the longest standoffs between a major programmer and distributor. Univision channels went dark on Dish Network’s satellite and streaming platforms on June 30. The sides were at odds over carriage fees that have become increasingly contentious for [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content