×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Coppola’s ‘Contact’ claim is dismissed

Judge says he waited too long to sue

A Los Angeles superior court judge on Friday summarily dismissed a legal claim by director and producer Francis Ford Coppola against the estate of late scientist-writer Carl Sagan and Warner Bros. over rights to the 1997 sci-fi film “Contact,” which was based on a novel by Sagan.

Warners and Ann Druyan, Sagan’s widow, said they were gratified with the judge’s decision to dismiss the suit.

Coppola will appeal that decision to a higher court, according to attorneys.

In the suit, filed in 1996, Coppola claimed that Sagan’s novel was actually based on a treatment the pair had developed for a television program back in the 1970s, to be called “First Contact.” Under that development agreement, the pair were to split proceeds from the project and from any novel Sagan would write. The television program was never produced, but in 1985, Sagan published “Contact” and sold the film rights to Warner Bros. for the movie released last summer.

The Coppola suit sought at least $250,000 in compensatory damages and a share of the proceeds from the movie version of “Contact.” But on Friday, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ricardo Torres dismissed the complaint.

The judge agreed that Sagan had violated some terms of the contract, but he also said Coppola had waited too long to file his suit, and that the contract might not be enforceable as it was written, according to Robert Chapman, Coppola’s attorney.

The “Contact” suit was one of two legal disputes between Coppola and Warner Bros. Coppola is also suing the studio for failing to produce a live-action film based on the children’s classic tale “Pinocchio,” and for preventing him from making the film at another studio. That dispute is set to go to trial May 11.

Popular on Variety

More Film

  • Fernando Meirelles The Two Popes

    AFI Fest Adds 'The Two Popes,' 'Aeronauts,' Alan Pakula Tribute

    The American Film Institute has added “The Two Popes” and “The Aeronauts” as galas during the upcoming AFI Fest along with a tribute to the late director Alan Pakula. AFI had previously announced that the romantic drama “Queen & Slim” would launch the 33rd annual festival on Nov. 14 and close with the world premiere [...]

  • Julie Andrews

    Julie Andrews Recalls Husband Blake Edwards' Battle With Depression

    The line to see Julie Andrews at the 92Y wrapped around the square of a sprawling New York City block. Seventy years since the start of her career, 60 since she asked “Wouldn’t It Be Loverly?” as Lerner and Loewe’s first Eliza and 50 since she sang “The Sound of Music” before the Eastern Alps [...]

  • Bloodshot (Vin Diesel) in Columbia Pictures'

    Vin Diesel Comes Back to Life in 'Bloodshot' Trailer

    Vin Diesel is coming back again and again in Sony Pictures’ first trailer for “Bloodshot.” In the forthcoming superhero adventure, Diesel portrays Ray Garrison a.k.a. Bloodshot, a soldier who gets rebuilt by a corporation following his death. The clip, released Monday and scored to Johnny Cash’s rendition of the ballad “Memories are Made of This,” [...]

  • Bouli Lanners Teams With 'Peaky Blinders'

    Bouli Lanners Teams With 'Peaky Blinders' Director Tim Mielants on 'Wise Blood'

    Bouli Lanners, the Belgian actor-director of “The Giants” and “Eldorado,” is teaming with “Peaky Blinders” helmer Tim Mielants to direct “Wise Blood,” an English-language film that will star “Game of Thrones” actor Michelle Fairley and Julian Glover. “Wise Blood” is a Belgian-Scottish-French co-production between Versus Production, Barry Crerar, and Playtime, which will handle international sales [...]

  • Bombshell Charlize Theron Megyn Kelly

    'Bombshell': Why Charlize Theron Was Terrified of Playing Megyn Kelly

    Charlize Theron is getting some of the best buzz of her career for channeling Megyn Kelly in “Bombshell,” but the Oscar-winning actress admits she almost turned down the role. “I was shit scared,” Theron said during a question-and-answer session following a Manhattan screening of “Bombshell” on Sunday. Partly, she was worried about portraying someone who [...]

  • Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner's Hazy

    Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner's Hazy Mills to Co-Produce SAG Awards

    Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner’s Hazy Mills Productions have joined the SAG Awards producing team. The guild announced this morning that Kathy Connell will once again serve as the show’s producer along with Hayes and Milliner in partnership with Avalon Harbor. “Attending the SAG Awards has always been a pleasure and a privilege for me,” [...]

  • Maleficent Mistress of Evil

    Box Office: Why 'Maleficent: Mistress of Evil' Fizzled

    Despite nabbing first place at the domestic box office, Disney’s “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” debuted significantly below expectations and demonstrated that even the most powerful studio in Hollywood is susceptible to missteps. The follow-up to 2014’s “Maleficent” kicked off in North America with a lackluster $36 million bow, an underwhelming result for a film that [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content