×

Writer bites ducks

Brill sues Disney for 5% of all hockey rev

In a high-stakes litigation, “Mighty Ducks” author and creator Steven Brill sued Walt Disney Pictures and its professional hockey team, the Mighty Ducks Hockey Club Inc. on Tuesday, claiming he is entitled to 5% of all gross revenues of “Mighty Ducks” merchandise and 5% of gross revenues of the Mighty Ducks hockey team.

Brill’s attorney, Pierce O’Donnell said: “This is a case with broad significance for writers. A professional sports team was spawned from a motion picture. In the Disney world, life imitates art. And Steven Brill created the art.”

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, alleges that under the Writers Guild of America basic agreement, which governs the relationship between the studio and the writer, Brill is entitled to “5% of the “absolute gross that the studio receives from exploiting unique objects and things.”

Disney could not be reached for comment, but it is expected to argue that titles and names, such as “The Mighty Ducks,” doesn’t come under the WGA definition of an object or thing.

Mighty Ducks merchandising of everything from hats to key chains to sweatshirts has been extremely successful. According to the complaint, Mighty Ducks merchandising consistently outsells all other NHL teams combined, and at one point it accounted for 80% of the $1 billion in NHL merchandising revenues. The complaint puts a floor of $25 million on the amount Brill is owed.

Brill penned the 1988 story about a ragtag peewee hockey team that is transformed into the Mighty Ducks. Disney released the film in 1992. Two sequels, also written by Brill, followed. Disney then decided to parlay the success of the “Mighty Ducks” franchise into an actual professional hockey team, which had its first NHL season in 1993.

The current lawsuit is another step in what has been a procedurally complex dispute. Brill originally sued Disney in 1995 in state court in Los Angeles and Disney removed the case to federal court. Disney then argued that the claims were subject to mandatory arbitration. In October, the arbitrator ruled that the claims were not subject to mandatory arbitration and the case could proceed in federal court.

More Biz

  • Mergers and Deals Placeholder

    Tegna Confirms Two Acquisition Offers Withdrawn Amid Coronavirus Upheaval

    Tegna confirmed Sunday that two suitors for the station group have recently withdrawn acquisition offers, citing the upheaval in the broader marketplace caused by the coronavirus crisis. Tegna’s statement is the company’s first acknowledgement that it has received four unsolicited acquisition offers in recent weeks. Two of those have since been withdrawn while the other [...]

  • Prince Harry and Meghan Duchess of

    President Trump Says Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Must Pay for Own Security

    After moving to the U.S. and leaving the royal family behind, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle must now pay for their own security team, according to President Trump. Before recently relocating to the U.S., the couple had been living in Canada under the watch and protection of British security and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. [...]

  • Donald Trump Anthony Fauci

    Trump Boasts of Coronavirus TV Ratings as Fauci Warns: 200,000 People Could Die in U.S.

    UPDATE: President Donald Trump announced in a press conference Sunday afternoon that the country’s social distancing guidelines have been extended to April 30 and that the peak death rate will hit in two weeks. “Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory has been won. Therefore we will be extending our guidelines to April [...]

  • Queen Elizabeth

    Queen Elizabeth's Footman Diagnosed with Coronavirus (Report)

    Coronavirus remains firmly in the royal orbit as one of Queen Elizabeth’s footmen has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19. The royal footman, who regularly walks the Queen’s dogs and was in regular contact with the monarch, is now in self-isolation after falling ill with coronavirus, according to British tabloid The Sun. The revelation comes just [...]

  • A police line forbids the access

    L.A. County Orders Closure of Beaches and Hiking Trails

    Those hoping to escape to the beach this weekend after being pent up at home are out of luck. On Friday, Los Angeles County ordered the closure of beaches and hiking trails, hoping to avoid the crowds that could cause the spread of the coronavirus. State and local officials had previously ordered the closure of [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content