Mets return to cable; TW charged with error

NEW YORK — A local media frenzy of negative publicity brought a quick end to the blackout of New York Mets games on Time Warner Cable of NYC (Daily Variety, Aug. 19).

Mets’ cable subscribers ended up losing only the two scheduled games with the Colorado Rockies, on Aug. 15 and 17, which Sportschannel NY transmitted to other cable systems in the greater New York, New Jersey and Connecticut area.

TW’s Gotham cable system, with 1.1 million subscribers the largest in the U.S., will now go back to the bargaining table with the joint owners of Sportschannel NY: Chuck Dolan’s Cablevision Systems Corp., which owns 60% of the network; and Rupert Murdoch and John Malone’s Fox/Liberty Sports, which owns the other 40%.

Sources say Sportschannel is asking for an additional $3.3 million payment in calendar 1997 from TW Cable of NYC for the extra 25 Mets games, which became available earlier in the year when WWOR decided not to buy them for broadcast coverage. TW Cable of NYC pays $9.9 million a year for Sportschannel under a contract that expired in December 1996.

Mike Baer, executive VP of sports for Rainbow Programming Services, the Cablevision division that runs Sportschannel, says the parties will resolve the payment for the additional Mets games before they tackle the renewal of the Sportschannel deal.

More TV

  • Tales From The Loop

    Amazon Orders Sci-Fi Series 'Tales From the Loop'

    NEW YORK — A local media frenzy of negative publicity brought a quick end to the blackout of New York Mets games on Time Warner Cable of NYC (Daily Variety, Aug. 19). Mets’ cable subscribers ended up losing only the two scheduled games with the Colorado Rockies, on Aug. 15 and 17, which Sportschannel NY […]

  • La Catedral del Mar - Diagonal

    Netflix Agrees With Atresmedia Preferential Access to Spanish TV Dramas

    NEW YORK — A local media frenzy of negative publicity brought a quick end to the blackout of New York Mets games on Time Warner Cable of NYC (Daily Variety, Aug. 19). Mets’ cable subscribers ended up losing only the two scheduled games with the Colorado Rockies, on Aug. 15 and 17, which Sportschannel NY […]

  • Ron Satlof

    Ron Satlof, Veteran TV Director, Dies at 79

    NEW YORK — A local media frenzy of negative publicity brought a quick end to the blackout of New York Mets games on Time Warner Cable of NYC (Daily Variety, Aug. 19). Mets’ cable subscribers ended up losing only the two scheduled games with the Colorado Rockies, on Aug. 15 and 17, which Sportschannel NY […]

  • Comic Con Hall H Panel Gender

    Comic-Con: Why Is Hall H Still Lacking in Female Panelists?

    NEW YORK — A local media frenzy of negative publicity brought a quick end to the blackout of New York Mets games on Time Warner Cable of NYC (Daily Variety, Aug. 19). Mets’ cable subscribers ended up losing only the two scheduled games with the Colorado Rockies, on Aug. 15 and 17, which Sportschannel NY […]

  • Who Is America Review

    Sacha Baron Cohen's 'Who Is America?' Enjoys Solid Debut Ratings

    NEW YORK — A local media frenzy of negative publicity brought a quick end to the blackout of New York Mets games on Time Warner Cable of NYC (Daily Variety, Aug. 19). Mets’ cable subscribers ended up losing only the two scheduled games with the Colorado Rockies, on Aug. 15 and 17, which Sportschannel NY […]

  • TV Ratings: 'Bachelorette' Ticks Up for

    TV Ratings: 'Bachelorette' Ticks Up for Another Monday Win

    NEW YORK — A local media frenzy of negative publicity brought a quick end to the blackout of New York Mets games on Time Warner Cable of NYC (Daily Variety, Aug. 19). Mets’ cable subscribers ended up losing only the two scheduled games with the Colorado Rockies, on Aug. 15 and 17, which Sportschannel NY […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content