NBC’s midseason “Prince Street” went from being one the web’s hot new dramas to canceled in one week, only underscoring how tough the network TV business is.
The Peacock web said Friday it was pulling the Warner Bros. Television show after only two airings — and just one in its 10-11 p.m. Wednesday timeslot. (The show premiered two weeks ago in “ER’s” 10 p.m. Thursday home.)
Last week, “Prince Street” averaged a 5.9 rating and 11 share, according to Nielsen, down from “Law & Order’s” 10.4/18 on Wednesday and way down from the show’s 11.6/21 it averaged in the “ER” slot two weeks ago. It becomes the first of the recent spate of midseason shows to be canceled.
Although the show’s ratings were not spectacular, the quick hook surprised many industry observers. After all, one exec noted, CBS still is sticking with “EZ Street” despite its poor performance. Warner Bros. was said to be less than thrilled with the Peacock web’s decision. Only two weeks ago, NBC was trumpeting the show in its press releases as “leading the parade of new series debuts.”
The bumping of “Prince Street” means that “Law & Order’s” stay in “ER’s” slot will be cut short by a week. On Wednesday, NBC will repeat an episode of “The Pretender.” Next week, NBC will air an episode of “Dateline,” and April 2, “Law & Order” will move back to its regular slot.
A repeat of “ER” will air April 3 in place of the scheduled episode of “Law & Order.”