×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Deal may delay ‘Double’ date

One of the most high-profile cases in town may soon be coming to a resolve. Lawyers for Sony Pictures Entertainment and John Travolta are expected to ask the court for a six-month continuance today on the court date for “The Double” lawsuit in order to try and reach an out-of-court settlement.

Lawyers on both sides have been working feverishly over the past three weeks to settle the case. The complaint originally was scheduled to be heard Monday, but was continued to July 21.

The most likely settlement would be for Travolta to star in a film after he finishes “A Civil Action” for Touchstone Pictures, but Sony is said to be holding out for a monetary repayment as well.

Seeking consensus

Sony, Mandalay and Travolta’s reps have been reading over scripts for the past month looking for a project that all sides could agree on. The studio has presented several scripts to the actor, including Mandalay’s “The Intruder” and Columbia’s sci-fier “After the Visitation,” sources said, but no agreement could be made.

Insiders said a settlement was almost reached Thursday, but fell apart at the last minute. Also being addressed in conjunction with “The Double” lawsuit is a complaint that Travolta filed concerning an alleged promised role in TriStar Pictures’ “Donnie Brasco.” The actor sued believing he was offered a lead role in that picture.

Travolta made headlines in May 1996 when he bolted from the Paris set of the Mandalay Entertainment film “The Double” during rehearsals after disagreements arose with director Roman Polanski concerning the direction of the character Travolta was to portray.

Conflicting reports

Mandalay then filed a breach of contract suit against the actor for failure to perform and asked for unspecified “millions of dollars” in damages. At the time, Travolta’s reps said he left because his son was sick with an ear infection but later it came out that Travolta and Polanski butted heads over the character.

Travolta was to receive $17 million plus compensation to star in the picture. Mandalay filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court in June 1996.

Mandalay also terminated its agreement with Polanski citing Travolta’s exit on the set as force majeure.

Attorney Louis Meisinger of Troop Meisinger Stueber & Pasich is handling the case for Sony/Mandalay, while attorney Bert Fields of Greenberg, Glusker, Fields, Claman & Machtinger is handling the case on behalf of Travolta.

Popular on Variety

More Film

  • Jay Pharaoh2016 MTV Video Music Awards,

    Jay Pharoah Joins Cast of Universal's 'All My Life' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Jay Pharoah has joined the cast of Universal’s drama “All My Life.” Actors Marielle Scott and Kyle Allen will also appear in the film alongside the previously announced cast of Jessica Rothe and Harry Shum Jr. Directed by Marc Meyers, “All My Life” is inspired by the true story of Jenn Carter and her husband, [...]

  • French Film Guild Mulls Expelling Members

    French Film Guild Considers Expelling Members Guilty of Sexual Offenses

    Following recent explosive allegations by actresses Adele Haenel and Valentine Monnier of harassment and assault at the hands of male directors, France’s authors, directors and producers guild said Tuesday that it will consider sanctions against any member being investigated for or found guilty of a sexual offense. The Société Civile des Auteurs, Réalisateurs, Producteurs (ARP) [...]

  • Adam B. Vary Joins Variety as

    Adam B. Vary Joins Variety as Senior Entertainment Writer

    Variety has hired seasoned journalist Adam B. Vary as senior entertainment writer to cover the business of genre storytelling and fandom across movies, television and streaming platforms. Vary will write a weekly column as well as produce cover stories and inside features, break news on Variety.com, and contribute to Variety’s new video studio. He will [...]

  • Ed Lachman Carol

    Ed Lachman on Hollywood’s Need for Coverage, European Filmmaking and Finding Inspiration

    TORUN, Poland – Acclaimed cinematographer Ed Lachman regaled an enraptured audience at the EnergaCamerimage Intl. Film Festival on Monday with anecdotes of his early days, his take on European and Hollywood cinema, and finding inspiration in younger collaborators. Lachman, who has worked with some of the most prominent German New Wave directors, including Werner Herzog, [...]

  • Barack Obama Pete Souza

    White House Photographer Pete Souza to Be Subject of Documentary

    Pete Souza, the White House photographer who managed to capture Presidents Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan at both ceremonial occasions and in unguarded moments, will be the subject of an upcoming documentary from Focus Features. The indie label announced that it is teaming with Dawn Porter, the Peabody Award-winning director of “Gideon’s Army” and “Bobby Kennedy for [...]

  • Oscars: 159 Documentary Features Submitted

    Oscars: 159 Features Submitted Into Documentary Race

    The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has unveiled the 159 documentary features that have been submitted for the 92nd annual Academy Awards. A shortlist of 15 films will be announced on Dec. 16. Nominations will be announced on Jan. 13. The winners will be revealed on Feb. 9. High-profile titles include “American Factory,” [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content