The chief executive officer of the planned Walt Disney Concert Hall said he will resign so that others can take over fundraising efforts.
Harry L. Hufford, 65, said Monday that he was confident the controversial hall will be built and become the “jewel of Los Angeles’ skyline.”
The downtown project was launched in 1987 after the Disney family donated $50 million for its construction. Construction was halted in 1995 after the estimated price rose to $220 million from the original $110 million.
So far, only $64.2 million has been raised for the project and only a parking structure has been completed.
The campaign received a boost earlier this month when Wells Fargo announced it would donate $5 million for the project.
Hufford is credited with leading the fundraising effort to keep the project alive.
“I have been associated with winning projects all my life and this concert hall is another one. I believe I have done my job and that the time is right to move on,” he said.
No successor was named. Diane Disney Miller, in a statement, praised Hufford for his service.
“Our family is grateful for his work,” she said.