Dustin Hoffman has reached a tentative settlement in a lawsuit against Castle Rock Prods. and a director who he claimed dropped him from a supporting role in last year’s film “City Hall.”
In June, Hoffman sued the company, claiming it failed to honor an oral agreement to give him a “relatively small role” in the film, which ultimately starred Al Pacino and John Cusack.
Hoffman, 59, sued director Harold Becker for interference and injurious falsehood and fraud, seeking unspecified damages.
The Oscar-winning actor said Becker falsely told Castle Rock that he refused to commit to the film after demanding “wholesale changes” to the script.
Hoffman’s lawyer, Edward Sabin, told Superior Court Judge Paul Boland on Thursday that “the defendants are drafting a settlement agreement.”
When Boland asked whether there was a “history of bad blood between Mr. Hoffman and Mr. Pacino,” Sabin answered, “I don’t think so. Just business.”
A Castle Rock spokeswoman confirmed that the case has been tentatively settled but wouldn’t elaborate.
Lawyers for Hoffman and the defendants wouldn’t comment.
Earlier this week Hoffman filed a breach-of-contract lawsuit against Columbia Pictures, claiming he is owed more than $1 million in profits from the 1982 comedy “Tootsie.”