CBS Eyes KW Station

CBS is near a deal to buy King World’s WIVB Buffalo for $100 million, according to industry sources last week.

King World, which bought the station several years ago at a pricetag of $105 million, has been looking to sell the property for some time.

Although station values are soaring, King World paid such a high price for WIVB that it will not make money on the deal. Other group owners have approached King World but the syndicator has held out for a bigger payday.

When the syndication giant first acquired the station, it was to be the first of several station acquisitions but no other deals materialized.

Although CBS recently entered into a station-buying venture with Group W, this purchase would not be part of that venture. Because of that acquisition, CBS has room to grow. It currently owns seven stations that reach almost 22% of the country. However, its Miami station and stations in Denver and Salt Lake City are attributed to the Group W/CBS venture as is Group W’s Philadelphia property.

Meanwhile, WKBW, the ABC affiliate in Buffalo owned by Queen City Broadcasting, is also for sale. Group owner Granite Communications, which owns 45% of Queen City, is expected to buy out the remaining 55%.

CBS and King World declined comment for this report.

More TV

  • 'The Bachelorette' Week 8 Recap: Becca

    'The Bachelorette' Recap: Becca Kufrin Meets the Families on Hometown Dates

    CBS is near a deal to buy King World’s WIVB Buffalo for $100 million, according to industry sources last week. King World, which bought the station several years ago at a pricetag of $105 million, has been looking to sell the property for some time. Although station values are soaring, King World paid such a […]

  • Will Catlett

    'Love Is___' Star William Catlett Signs With CAA (EXCLUSIVE)

    CBS is near a deal to buy King World’s WIVB Buffalo for $100 million, according to industry sources last week. King World, which bought the station several years ago at a pricetag of $105 million, has been looking to sell the property for some time. Although station values are soaring, King World paid such a […]

  • Nick Cannon King of the Dancehall

    TV News Roundup: Nick Cannon to Host 2018 Teen Choice Awards

    CBS is near a deal to buy King World’s WIVB Buffalo for $100 million, according to industry sources last week. King World, which bought the station several years ago at a pricetag of $105 million, has been looking to sell the property for some time. Although station values are soaring, King World paid such a […]

  • Rugrats. Nickeoldeon Animation Studios

    'Rugrats' Relaunch Set With Nickelodeon Series, Paramount Movie

    CBS is near a deal to buy King World’s WIVB Buffalo for $100 million, according to industry sources last week. King World, which bought the station several years ago at a pricetag of $105 million, has been looking to sell the property for some time. Although station values are soaring, King World paid such a […]

  • Sacha Baron Cohen

    Showtime Counters Sacha Baron Cohen 'Stolen Valor' Claims

    CBS is near a deal to buy King World’s WIVB Buffalo for $100 million, according to industry sources last week. King World, which bought the station several years ago at a pricetag of $105 million, has been looking to sell the property for some time. Although station values are soaring, King World paid such a […]

  • Wyatt Russell in Lodge 49 AMC

    TV Review: AMC's 'Lodge 49' Starring Wyatt Russell

    CBS is near a deal to buy King World’s WIVB Buffalo for $100 million, according to industry sources last week. King World, which bought the station several years ago at a pricetag of $105 million, has been looking to sell the property for some time. Although station values are soaring, King World paid such a […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content