×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Oz Censors Uphold ‘Cage’ Ban

Contrary to widespread expectation, the Film & Literature Board of Review has upheld the banning of “In a Glass Cage” (Tras es Cristal), creating a furor among the city’s critic community.

The ban, issued by the Office of Film & Literature Classification’s Film Censorship Board, kept the multi-award winning Spanish release from appearing as part of the Film Festival of the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras (Variety, Feb. 6-12).

Film festival director Jeff Mitchell said the move was “highly unusual, reactionary and conservative” and set a dangerous precedent for festivals.

Although the board has yet to release its formal reasons for the decision, preliminary explanations reaffirm the censorship board’s finding that the film was “indecent because of its graphic and explicit portrayals of the sexual abuse and torture of young children.”

“In addition, current legislation in all states and territories prohibits the depiction of children under the age of 16 years in a manner that is likely to cause offense to a reasonable adult. The film, therefore, cannot be registered, nor classified under current guidelines,” the explanation stated.

Festival director Mitchell said, “The legislation needs to be overhauled so festivals can have free artistic expression and be entirely free of censorship. I think it is ludicrous that an award-winning film should be withheld from Australian audiences when film festivals around the world have seen the film.”

“Cage” is the first festival film to have registration refused since the legendary tussles in the mid-70s between censors and the Sydney Film Festival. It is also the first film to meet such a fate under the reign of the present censorship legislation. The contents of a film festival are usually cleared together, but chief censor John Dickie confirmed the censors demanded festival organizers “voluntarily submit” “Cage” separately.

“If they had not submitted it, the approval of the festival would have been called into question,” he said.

“It is unusual for festivals to put films which are refused,” Dickie admitted, “but this was one of those films that went beyond community boundaries of decency.”

Variety understands the six member board was equally divided on the issue.

Margaret Pomeranz, film critic and executive producer of “The Movie Show,” said the move was “a retrograde step.”

“I think it is not a wonderful film, but I think festivalgoers and film writers have the right to see it. I hate to think we are moving into a more conservative movie culture; it is important to make a fuss about this insipid conservatism, which is a real worry.”

More Film

  • Bertrand Tavernier Hosts Night of Cinema

    Bertrand Tavernier Hosts Night of Cinema Inspired Orchestra in Paris

    Flanked by UniFrance president Serge Toubiana and the National Orchestra of France, filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier stood before a rapt crowd at Paris’ Maison de la Radio this past Saturday to introduce an evening dedicated to French film scores called “May the Music Begin!” That moniker – a reference to the original French title of his [...]

  • Orange Studio Sells Out 'Serial (Bad)

    Orange Studio Sells Out 'Serial (Bad) Weddings 2,' 'City Hunter' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Paris-based Orange Studio has nearly sold out its two French comedy highlights, Philippe de Chauveron’s “Serial (Bad) Weddings 2” and Philippe Lacheau’s “City Hunter.” “Serial (Bad) Weddings 2,” which opened the UniFrance Rendez-Vous in Paris last week, is the sequel of the smash hit film which grossed over $148 million worldwide. The movie has been [...]

  • Danmarks Sønner, en film af Ulaa

    Trailer for Rotterdam Competition Opener 'Sons of Denmark' Released (EXCLUSIVE)

    Variety has been given exclusive access to the trailer for the opening film of Rotterdam Film Festival’s Tiger Competition, “Sons of Denmark.” The film is a political thriller set in Denmark in 2025, a year after a bomb attack in Copenhagen, when ethnic tensions are running high. An ultra-nationalist politician, Martin Nordahl, and his National [...]

  • Operation Red Sea review

    Chinese Entertainment Industry Braces for a 'Cold Winter' in 2019

    Winter is here for the Chinese entertainment industry, a half-dozen top-tier industry professionals concurred in Beijing at the launch last week of Tencent Entertainment’s annual data-filled white paper. China’s box office hit new heights in 2018, raking in about $9 billion, but it was also a year of drastic regulatory changes and a government tax [...]

  • Indie Sales Acquires Martin Lund's Nordic

    Indie Sales Acquires Nordic Coming-Of-Age 'Psychobitch' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Paris-based company Indie Sales has acquired Martin Lund’s Norwegian coming-of-age drama “Psychobitch” which is headlined by Elli Rhiannon Müller Osbourne (“Utoya: July 22”). “Psychobitch” marks the first feature film of Martin Lund, who made his debut with “Twigson Ties the Knot,” a local box office hit, and followed up with “The Almost Man,” which won [...]

  • Studiocanal has sold Jean Paul Gaultier's

    Jean Paul Gaultier's 'Freak And Chic' Documentary Sells For Studiocanal (EXCLUSIVE)

    Underscoring the strength and scope of French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier’s legacy around the world, the documentary “Jean Paul Gaultier Freak And Chic,” which chronicles the making of Gaultier’s ongoing popular show in Paris, has been luring distributors in key markets. Sold by Studiocanal and produced by Capa, the documentary has already been picked [...]

  • Korea Box Office: 'MAL·MO·E' and 'Inside

    Korea Box Office: 'MAL·MO·E' and 'Inside Me' Remain on Top

    There was no change at the top of the Korean box office, as local titles “MAL·MO·E: The Secret Mission” and “Inside Me (a.k.a. The Dude in Me)” dominated a second weekend. Lotte’s “MAL·MO·E” earned $4.79 million from 618,000 admissions between Friday and Sunday for a total of $16.7 million from 2.23 million admissions after two [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content