There was negligence in the death of actor Brandon Lee, but it’s too early to tell whether there will be criminal charges, the prosecutor said Tuesday.
“In my opinion, I don’t think there was any doubt there was negligence on several occasions” in the March 31 death, said district attorney Jerry Spivey.
“I can tell you we are looking at the written investigative report for the purpose of deciding if there will be criminal charges and, if so, against whom.”
But, he said, “there is no indication anybody was trying to hurt Brandon.”
Police gave the report on the case to Spivey last week, said police spokeswoman Linda Rawley.
Lee, the 28-year-old son of the late film star Bruce Lee, died after he was shot on the set of “The Crow” by a gun that was supposed to be loaded with blanks for a scene.
Police said a .44-caliber bullet was removed from Lee’s body, but haven’t said how or why the bullet was in the gun.
Spivey said he reviewed the report over the weekend but it still may be a week or two before he decides whether charges will be filed.
The day Lee was shot, police characterized the incident as accidental. But as the investigation proceeded, police refused to say whether the shooting was an accident or intentional.
Before the investigation is completed, statements are still needed from at least two people who left the area after production of “The Crow” was suspended, Spivey said. He wouldn’t name those witnesses.
“What we’re looking at is a chain of events where you have negligence and oversight here and there by several people that culminates in what happens to Brandon,” Spivey said.