RIMINI, Italy — Italian film director Federico Fellini was hospitalized in guarded condition Tuesday after suffering a stroke.
Dr. Massimo Pieratelli said late Tuesday night that the 73-year-old director’s condition had improved and that he was not in “immediate danger of losing his life.”
“In respect to his condition when he arrived, we can say positively that there has been a significant improvement,” Pieratelli said later.
The doctor said earlier that the 73-year-old director was experiencing some muscle weakness on the left side of his body, but was conscious and talking.
Pieratelli said a CAT scan found Fellini had an obstruction in an artery on the right side of the brain. The cardiologist said there was no sign of any hemorrhage, and called that a “positive sign.”
“At the moment his condition is stable, but given the type of problem, he is listed in guarded condition,” said Pieratelli.
Dr. Michelangelo De Novellis said later the effects of the stroke could be temporary. He said doctors hoped it would be possible to release him within 48 hours.
He noted that Fellini suffered a similar episode several years ago.
The Italian news agency ANSA said Fellini was vacationing at a hotel in his hometown of Romagnola when he became ill.