×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

New Line taps De Luca exec VP/COO

In a major revamp of its movie production arm, New Line Cinema has crowned Michael De Luca as executive vice president and chief operating officer of its New Line Prods. unit, giving the 27-year-old exec authority over its New York- and Los Angeles-based development and production operations.

De Luca, who will remain in Los Angeles, will take over operational control of New Line Prods. from president Sara Risher, who has been promoted to chairman of the unit. The change is effective immediately. “This is New Line Cinema, the next generation,” chairman Robert Shaye said.

De Luca’s promotion comes as New Line ramps up one of the most aggressive development and productionslates in its 25-year history, including such projects as “National Lampoon’s Loaded Weapon 1”; producer David Permut’s “Howard Stern: The Movie”; director George Romero’s “Unholy Fire”; the Luke Perry starrer “The Lane Frost Story”; “Crash Dummies”; and director Michael Apted’s “Blink.” De Luca brought all of those projects to the New Line stable.

During his career, De Luca has proven to be one of the industry’s “more creative” creative executives, having co-exec produced “Deep Cover” and written “Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare” from a story by the film’s director, Rachel Talalay.

De Luca’s promotion comes just two months after he was contacted about a VP of production job at Paramount Pictures, but Shaye insisted the production restructuring had nothing to do with Par’s recruitment effort.

“Michael acknowledged that his best shot was at New Line,” Shaye said. “He wanted to take his own professional career in as broad a direction as he chose, as opposed to simply getting pigeonholed in a large institutionalized organization.” De Luca had no comment on the Paramount discussions. Citing New Line Prods.’ expansion under Risher, company president Michael Lynne said the unit’s expansion from two movies annually to a high-water mark of nine last year led to the change. He said De Luca’s ascension creates “an organization that can effectively manage that growth.”

Supervisor on such titles as “Pump Up the Volume,””Hairspray” and the “Nightmare on Elm Street” and “House Party” franchises, Risher said she had been trying to free herself from “day-to-day administration and managerial duties for quite a while now.” As production topper, Risher will share final greenlight authority with Shaye and Lynne.

According to Lynne, Risher will “point the company in new directions,” including identifying market trends, new movie genres and potential franchise properties.

New Line is currently attempting to establish new “tent pole” properties through the production of the comedy “National Lampoon’s Loaded Weapon 1” and the actioner “Excessive Force.” Risher said the chairman’s post will allow her to “push more directly” several projects at the company, including director John Lafia’s “Man’s Best Friend”–a potential franchise about a troublesome canine.

Shaye’s relationship with De Luca runs deep. A Brooklyn native, De Luca came to work for New Line as a 19-year-old intern while earning his undergraduate degree at NYU. In the years since, he has worked as New Line story editor, director of development, production VP and most recently senior VP of production (Daily Variety, April 23).

“I’ve been lucky to be here during the last eight years, which has coincided with the greatest growth in the company’s history,” said De Luca, adding his mandate will be to establish New Line as “a door that more people feel they can walk through.”

Reporting to De Luca will be New Line senior veepee Janet Grillo, production veeps Toby Emmerich, Kevin Moreton, Aaron Meyerson, Phil Goldfine, director of West Coast development Helena Echegoyan and East Coast director of development Laurence Schwartz.

When asked whether New Line’s production department will expand under De Luca , Shaye said “we would like to get up to doing 10 or 12 films a year. We’re equipped to do it, but we could use a couple more people to reach our objective.”

Lynne hedged about adding a development executive to fill the slot De Luca vacated, warning that it was dependent on company need and not a certainty. De Luca said any staff additions would made after the end of the year.

More Film

  • Agustina San Martin Talks Cannes Special

    Agustina San Martin Talks Cannes Special Mention Winner ‘Monster God’

    CANNES – An exploration of the ramifications of God, “Monster God,” from Argentina’s Agustina San Martín, took a Special Mention – an effective runner’s up prize – on Saturday night at this year’s Cannes Film Festival short film competition. It’s not difficult to see why, especially when jury president Claire Denis own films’ power resists [...]

  • Atlantics

    Netflix Snags Worldwide Rights to Cannes Winners 'Atlantics,' 'I Lost My Body'

    Mati Diop’s feature directorial debut “Atlantics” and Jérémy Clapin’s animated favorite “I Lost My Body” have both been acquired by Netflix following wins at Cannes Film Festival. “Atlantics” was awarded the grand prix while “I Lost My Body” was voted the best film at the independent International Critics Week. The deals are for worldwide rights [...]

  • Stan Lee, left, and Keya Morgan

    Stan Lee's Former Business Manager Arrested on Elder Abuse Charges

    Stan Lee’s former business manager, Keya Morgan, was arrested in Arizona Saturday morning on an outstanding warrant from the Los Angeles Police Department. The LAPD’s Mike Lopez confirmed that the arrest warrant was for the following charges: one count of false imprisonment – elder adult; three counts of grand theft from elder or dependent adult, [...]

  • Moby attends the LA premiere of

    Moby Apologizes to Natalie Portman Over Book Controversy

    Moby has issued an apology of sorts after writing in his recently published memoir “Then It Fell Apart” that he dated Natalie Portman when she was 20 — a claim the actress refuted. “As some time has passed I’ve realized that many of the criticisms leveled at me regarding my inclusion of Natalie in Then [...]

  • Bong Joon-ho reacts after winning the

    Bong Joon-ho's 'Parasite' Wins the Palme d'Or at Cannes

    CANNES — The 72nd edition of the Cannes Film Festival wrapped with jury president Alejandro González Iñárritu announcing the group’s unanimous decision to award the Palme d’Or to South Korean director Bong Joon-ho for his sly, politically charged “Parasite.” Following last year’s win for humanistic Japanese drama “Shoplifters,” the well-reviewed Asian thriller represents the yin [...]

  • Invisible Life Brazilian Cinema

    Cannes Film Review: 'The Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão'

    A “tropical melodrama” is how the marketing materials bill “The Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão.” If that sounds about the most high-camp subgenre ever devised, Karim Aïnouz’s ravishing period saga lives up to the description — high emotion articulated with utmost sincerity and heady stylistic excess, all in the perspiring environs of midcentury Rio de [...]

  • Best Movies of Cannes 2019

    The 10 Best Movies of Cannes 2019

    The Cannes Film Festival is too rich an event to truly have an “off” year, but by the end of the 72nd edition, it was more or less universally acknowledged that the festival had regained a full-on, holy-moutaintop-of-art luster that was a bit lacking the year before. It helps, of course, to have headline-making movies [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content