Jérôme Seydoux
LAURENT BENHAMOU/SIPA
France

Pathe

Jérôme
Seydoux

CEO

82-year old, Jerome Seydoux, scion of the Seydoux-Schlumberger industrial empire, acquired Pathé in 1990, and has built it into a vertically integrated studio, with production offices in France and the UK, and screens in France, Holland, Switzerland and Belgium. Seydoux invested heavily in broadcasting between 1985 and 1999 – including La Cinq, whose license was withdrawn in 1986, and BSkyB and CanalSatellite, divested after Pathe’s merger with Vivendi in 1999.

In 2000, Pathé and Gaumont, run by brothers Jerome and Nicolas Seydoux launched Europe’s biggest exhibitor – Les Cinémas Gaumont Pathé – which was 66% owned and managed by Pathé until March 2017, when the remaining 34% was absorbed by Pathé for $400 million. Pathé’s revenues have been broadly stable since 2010, most of which is generated from exhibition.

The company has produced major English language pics including “The Queen,” “Slumdog Millionaire,” and upcoming “A United Kingdom,” together with hit French comedies “Les Tuches 2,” and “Camping 3.” Seydoux has said that he won’t be diversifying into TV.

Pathé – which remains a family-owned and run operation – has pioneered restoration and screening of classic titles via the Jerome Seydoux Pathé Foundation, launched in 2014, run by Sophie Seydoux.

Career

  • WELCOME TO THE STICKS
  • GREAT BEAUTY, THE
  • YOUTH (LA GIOVINEZZA)

Education

  • ENSEEIHT (École nationale supérieure d'électrotechnique, d'électronique, d'informatique, d'hydraulique et des telecommunications) (France)

News from Variety

Jerome Seydoux Pathé Foundation Restores Abel Gance's Monumental 'La Roue'

Jerome Seydoux Pathé Foundation Restores Abel Gance's Monumental 'La Roue'

In the wake of receiving Pathé's silent film library last year, the Jerome Seydoux Pathé Foundation, founded in 2014 and headed by Sophie Seydoux, is planning to restore Abel Gance's monumental "La Roue" (The Wheel) in its original six-hour version, as a pan-European endeavor.The Jerome Seydoux Pathé Foundation occupies the historic Gaumont Gobelins cinema building in Paris, that has been subjected to a spectacular renovation project by architect Renzo Piano.Film restorations undertaken to date include Francis Ford Coppola’s “Apocalypse Now...

MORE NEWS

Deep Dive

Want more information on Jérôme Seydoux?

Variety's premium research & data service, Variety Insight, provides a wealth of information around everyone working in entertainment. Access contact information, development slates, ratings, box office, credits and more from the industry's leading source for entertainment data.