Thank God we're in the music business. We've already been through the transition; we've already been pushed back to zero. We're in an era of rebirth so strong that if you think the music business is…
It's about the data and the footprint. In other words, the more information you have, the fewer mistakes you make, and if you're America-centric, you're gonna get your butt kicked by those who see…
1. MUSIC IN SCHOOLS The bottom line is, if we want better popular music, more people have to know how to play it. Speak with famous musicians, and you'll be stunned how many started in the school…
A few lessons learned from the recent Grammy week … The shelf life of an awards show these days is similar to a Pop Tart. By breakfast we're done with it, and on to something new. Blame Neil Portnow…
How long until it's free? I haven't tried the new Beats Music service. I'd be stunned if it's not well-designed and utilitarian. I applaud its focus on mobile, but isn't this really just Pressplay 10…
Here are the four people — and one group of folks — who most matter in the music biz. Michael Rapino It's not how many albums you sell, but how many tickets. The live business rules, and Live Nation…
Declare victory and stay home. With an 82% drop in its second week, from 305,280 to 45,536, "Artpop" is so stiff, you could iron a shirt on it. And everybody knows. Nobody wants to go to a show no…
Hits are what U2 is dependent upon if it wants to keep the mantle of the world's greatest rock and roll band, which it stole from the Stones decades ago, even if Mick Jagger doesn't know that.
Recording revenues have shrunk. But streaming, and Spotify, could bring them back. But the problem with artists is they don't see the big picture.
If you want to penetrate the consciousness of a large group of people and grow the pie, an album isn't working. Hell, it's not even working as a revenue model!
We've been sold a fiction. That the Internet has leveled the playing field. That all are welcome and respected. Hell, you can't even get people to read your tweets; what makes you think you can get…
- How Jonathan Demme’s ‘Silence of the Lambs’ Broke Countless Oscar Conventions
- Emmys: Allison Janney Goes Lead for ‘Mom’ as Campaigns Jockey for Position
- Jill Soloway’s ‘I Love Dick’ Brings the ‘Female Gaze’ to Emmy Voters
- A Year After ‘Birth of a Nation,’ Fox Searchlight Lines Up Oscar Season Players