‘Will’ Canceled at TNT After One Season

Will
TNT

TNT has canceled freshman drama “Will” after one season, Variety has confirmed.

The series told the story of William Shakespeare before he became one of the most famous playwrights of all time. It began with Shakespeare’s arrival in the raucous London theater scene of the 16th century. A period drama told in a contemporary style, “Will” starred newcomer Laurie Davidson alongside Olivia DeJonge (“The Visit,” “Hiding”), Colm Meaney (“Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Hell on Wheels”), Mattias Inwood (“The Shanara Chronicles”), Jamie Campbell Bower (“Sweeney Todd,” “The Twilight Saga”) and Ewen Bremner (“Trainspotting,” “Snowpiercer”). Craig Pearce (“The Great Gatsby”), “Shekhar Kapur” (Elizabeth), Alison Owen (“Elizabeth”), Debra Hayward (“Love Actually”), Vince Gerardis (“Jumper”), Howard Braunstein (“The Informant!”) and Louise Rosager served as executive producers.

The series debuted in July and aired its first season finale on Monday night. It never found a substantial audience, opening to a low 0.2 rating in adults 18-49 and 633,000 viewers on July 10, according to Nielsen’s Live+Same Day ratings. Things only went downhill from there, with the series averaging a 0.1 rating and 392,000 viewers per episode for its first season, making it the lowest-rated TNT original series currently on the air.

Related

Watch First Trailer for Cary Fukunaga TNT Series ‘The Alienist’

“Will” was one of several originals TNT debuted within the last year. The crime drama “Claws” opened well in May, closing out its first season averaging a 0.5 and 1.3 million viewers per episode in Live+Same Day. The series was already renewed for a second season. “Good Behavior,” which averaged a 0.2 and 742,000 viewers per episode during its first season, has also been renewed. The network is also expected to launch the new period drama “The Alienist” later this year.

1. Cindy says:

I am so saddened to hear that Will will not be returning – I looked so forward to each new episode and watched them online several times. If there is any way, please reconsider your decision and give Will another chance for a second season.

2. Judy says:

Great show. Looked forward to watching it every week. Shame on you TNT.

3. Christine Y says:

This show is so good! I understand that it was a little complicated at the beginning. If you didn’t know about Elizabethan history, it was confusing. I was confused and I practically majored in Shakespeare. I just didn’t know about the man, only his writing. Anyhow, I re-watched episode one after I had seen the first few, and everything fell in to place. I am absolutely in love with this show. I watched the last 6 episodes on Demand yesterday, and then read today that it’s been canceled. I’m so disappointed. The kid who plays Shakespeare is so amazing. I can’t imagine not seeing him do that anymore! I wish they would reconsider and produce another season.

4. JessieW says:

I recently caught with the episodes on demand, so sorry it won’t be renewed.

5. Dana says:

This show was very entertaining. However, it did not get the publicity as Claws and Animal Kingdom. Every three minutes TNT was showing clips of these two shows!

6. Sandy says:

This show was very entertaining and I am so sorry to see it go. I love watching Elizabethan era programs but it seems the networks never give them a chance. Instead of being so quick to give up on them, the networks should put more effort on marketing/advertising if they are sincere about wanting the shows to succeed. I for one enjoyed seeing something different for a change. I guess that’s why it was canceled.

7. Gail says:

Soo sorry to see this go! Loved the characters and the entire show. It is always nice to see a show that isn’t a cookie cutter of 5-10 others. Guess the network people don’t see it for what it was. A very inventive show for hat was well written and acted. Maybe if it was in a better time slot and promoted more it may have had much larger audience. Oh well another good one bites the dust. 😒

8. Michele Yendall says:

The garbage that TNT will retain and the really different and stylish entertainment they cancel boggles one’s mind. The producers and creators made a huge mistake pitching this to TNT and not going to HBO or Netflix for a much different outcome. Claws, Wrecked, and others are not my taste and TNT will go back in the closet for me to be used for re-runs of Law and Order. What a dastardly shame. Do you think if they hadn’t moved it to Monday at 11:00 pm EST when most of America is going to bed, it might have had a better audience? What a joke to even think that they intended to renew and support.

9. CJB says:

As a fan of Shakespeare, Thank You.

10. Loved Will!! Boo to TNT for canceling it!!!!

11. lindsey says:

the combination of Elizabethan London with 80s punk Rock is the exact recipe for a terrible production of one Shakespeare’s plays. it was baffling in this show.