TV Ratings: ‘Downward Dog’ Debuts Soft on ABC

downward dog abc NED, ALLISON TOLMAN
Courtesy of ABC

The debut of ABC comedy series “Downward Dog” was soft in the overnight ratings, according to Nielsen data.

The series, which stars “Fargo” Season 2 standout Allison Tolman, clocked in with a 1.1 rating in adults 18-49 and 4.7 million viewers. That puts it well below the fall debuts of fellow freshman comedies “Speechless” (2.0, 7.3 million) and “American Housewife” (1.9, 6.6 million), as well as the premiere of the recently-canceled “Imaginary Mary” (1.4, 5.4 million).

Earlier on ABC, the season finale of “The Goldbergs” was even, while the season closer of “Speechless” (1.2, 4.5 million) ticked up in the demo. The season’s finale episode of “Modern Family” was steady, followed by “Downward Dog.” The season closer of “Designated Survivor” (1.1, 5.1 million) rose in the demo.

“Shots Fired” (0.8, 2.9 million) was stable on Fox, followed by “Empire” (2.1,6.1 million).

On NBC, the season finale of “Blindspot” stayed even, as did a new episode of “Law & Order: SVU” (1.2, 5.4 million) and “Chicago P.D.” (1.3, 6.4 million).

For CBS, “Survivor” (1.7, 8.2 million) was steady, while back-to-back episodes of “Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders” at 9 p.m. (0.7, 4.9 million) and 10 p.m. (0.7, 4.1 million) were both down from last week in the demo, while the later episode also dipped in total viewers.

On The CW, “Arrow” (0.5, 1.4 million) fell in total viewers, while “The 100” (0.3, 849,000) was stable.

Fox topped the night in the demo with a 1.5, but was fourth in total viewers with 4.5 million. ABC finished second in the demo with a 1.2, but third in viewers with 5.1 million. NBC came in third in the demo with a 1.1, but second in viewers with 5.4 million. CBS was fourth in the demo with a 1.0, but first in viewers with 5.7 million. The CW averaged a 0.4 and 1.1 million.

1. Susan Hughes says:

I love the show!!

2. B Jones says:

Tried to watch it, but can’t get past all the time the dog uses the word “like” inappropriately. That just solidifies all the people who insert that word in their conversations. Valley Girl is so over!

3. Rita says:

I loved it and shows about people and their pets–we need more of those. I am so sick of stories about cops and shows about crime.

4. Mary says:

I laughed so hard last night while watching this, simply because I just adopted a shelter dog last week and my life will never be the same… In a positive way. Thank you! We need some more shows like this.

5. RC Paulsen says:

Just watched the pilot and loved it. Dogs have their own personalities, just like we do, and Martin’s languid demeanor and voice are a perfect match.

I’ve always had a natural rapport with dogs that I can’t explain. I can be walking in the street, and strange dogs will leave their yards and run right up to me, tails wagging. I’m able to approach and pet “aggressive” dogs that won’t allow other people to get close. It’s weird. (My wife is convinced I was a dog in a previous life.)

I loved the line where Martin referred to his obedience training as “couple’s therapy.” After having eleven four-legged family members over the years, I know how humans and dogs learn to communicate through facial expressions and body language. I suspect whoever is writing the dialog for Martin understands that non-verbal communication.

6. Mary says:

I loved it. I am a dog owner and felt like mu dogs would some of the things the dog said. I cried when he talked about when she found him and how much he loves her!

7. Debbie says:

I was really looking forward to this show, but was slightly disappointed. Dogs bark. This dog did not bark the entire episode. The premise is cute, and I will continue to watch to see if things get better. The voice of the dog does not match the dog, neither does the dialog. If they change these things, they could potentially have a great show. Dog needs to talk and sound like a dog.

8. cary taylor says:

I love animals, but this show is AWFUL! Why they had to use the “Valley Dude” voice for the dog is beyond me. I don’t care for people who speak that way. Why punish the poor dog….?

9. cbanks5455 says:

I was not impressed. First off as a pet owner the dog looks under fed with his ribs showing. Fatten up the dog. Second the Co-star has said she is not a dog person so to me that’s like making me believe he is some sort of stud with the women with his character when he has already come out to the public that he is gay. If you own a pet and work 10 hour days, you shouldn’t have a dog. For me I am lucky and work from home so my pet get a lot of attention. This show won’t last the season. Don’t get me wrong, I was really looking forward to this comedy, but after viewing it and flipped the channel after 15 minutes. Bad – Bad – Bad….

10. Jamie says:

I loved it. I thought the dog was adorable and will definitely watch again.

11. Steve says:

Like love dogs but like hate the word like. Like could be a good like show if like they like changed the vocab for like the dog

12. Wendy says:

I am glad I was not the only person who could not stand the way the dog talked with the word like every third word. Extremely annoying.
    I don’t know if I could sit and listen to that every week even though I think it is a cute premise. Redo the dog’s dialogue and take out the old valley girl talk.

13. Donna says:

Just shoot me! That was a comedy? Downward Dog should be Downer Dog.

14. Cortney says:

It was kind of weird but for some reason I’m excited to see how the second episode goes. I think it was just on at a weird time; I had never seen previews for it, and I caught it by accident when I was watching tv last night. Cute dog though.

15. racingphan says:

Didn’t like the show, but I still love that girl from Fargo. Yummy!

16. Jon wold says:

Downward dog a great concept but the dialog for the dog is less like a dog and more like a 80’s valley girl. Like like like you know

• j says:

completely agree. too many “like” with the dialogue. Cute show but not sure if i can get through another episode with “like” every other word.

17. omarid513 says:

“The series, which stars “Fargo” Season 2 standout Allison Tolman, clocked in with a 1.1 rating in adults 18-49 and 4.7 million viewers.” Tolman was a standout in the first season, not second.