‘The Originals’ to End After Season 5 on The CW

The Originals
Courtesy of CW

The CW series “The Originals” will end after its upcoming fifth season.

Showrunner Julie Plec made the announcement on Twitter on Thursday ahead of the series’ San Diego Comic-Con panel later this week. Plec said it was only fitting to make the announcement one year after announcing the end of the series’ parent program, “The Vampire Diaries.”

“It’s both a gift and a burden to be able to control the ending of a series,” Plec wrote. “Many shows are not lucky enough to have a hand in deciding when the end has come.” Read her full statement below.

Fans will be able to attend a panel Q&A with the cast and creators on Saturday, July 22, at 12 p.m. PT at the Indigo Ballroom in the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel.

“The Originals” follows Joseph Morgan’s Klaus Mikaelson and his family in New Orleans. Morgan stars alongside Daniel Gillies, Phoebe Tonkin, Charles Michael Davis, Yusuf Gatewood and Riley Voelkel. Plec serves as executive producer with Leslie Morgenstein. The series hails from Bonanza Productions Inc., My So-Called Company, Alloy Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios.

The show was one of several renewals for The CW for the 2017-2018 season. The other renewals were “iZombie,” “Arrow,” “D.C.’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl,” “Jane the Virgin,” “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” and “Supernatural.” The network cancelled freshman series “No Tomorrow” and “Frequency.”

It was spun off from “The Vampire Diaries” in 2013. “Vampire Diaries” wrapped up earlier this year after eight seasons and 171 episodes.

The series marked Plec’s fourth with The CW. In addition to “Vampire Diaries” and “The Originals,” she also created “The Tomorrow People” and “Containment” for the network, with both shows airing for one season.

1. Paul David Scearce II says:

The Originals is the best show on the CW and among the Top 5 on TV but placing it on Friday nights in to the summer was not so bright, so I guess I will have no reason to tune into local TV after the 2018 season ends.

2. Brittany Kaye says:

First off all yall that are whining about the series ending who claim to b true fans of the originals dont even no how to spell their names ……yes its a great show no i do not want it to end but if the story line has ran its course so b it …..apparently she must have another show she is in the working of…..and quit bashing iZombie because that show as well is just as great as the Originals and inmpo has a strong story line as well….btw this is how u spell Niklaus! Not Claus like hes fucking santa! And its Marcellus not Marcella or marella like half of u have spelled it! I dont wish this show to end im a mother of 2 and expecting my 3rd in the spring trust me these shows are my personal vacay from the chaoticness of motherhood! But im not gonna bad mouth julia for ending HER series!

3. Jan Kelliher says:

Noooooo! I just tonight ginished the last episode of Srason 4 of The Originals. My father passed away on July 5th, and on the 17th, I started watching the series. I cant believe it’s over, and when does Season 5 start!??? I am a Vampire stories addict, and LOVE The Originals! This got me through the few weeks after my dad passed, (as strange as it sounds), so tonite I finished all 4 seasons, now, when is season 5 starting, and what channel is CW?? I’ve been watching on Netflix… please tell me! Help!

4. Kat says:

Leave it to Plec to get the show cancelled because she lacks any creative vision whatsoever.

5. Rose Cope says:

Why do they end good shows vampire diaries the originals what’s next they keep ending all the good shows

6. Ryan says:

Why all we are so angry at julie for tossing a good thing out? Didnt she hint at another series in their world? What if shes not killing it, maybe shes reviving it

7. I think Julie Plec is wrong to end the show. There has been a trend since Seinfeld to end good shows before they become boring and she is jumping on the band wagon. I really believed she was innovative and daring now I think she is mainstream and boring.

8. Keri says:

So sad they always mess a good thing up.

9. June Burris says:

The original is one of the best shows on the cw that I go crazy if I miss a show, you can not end this show…what will we do without marcella, Klaus and the rest of the Michelson family?

10. Shannon says:

The CW is one of those networks that you love to hate, and hate to love….I for one, got fed up with the repeated cancellations of shows that showed a spark of potential (only to have pointless, and incredibly ignorant shows take their place)…which led me – and I am sure many others – to Netflix-ism. Long gone, are the days that my TV will grace the CW with it’s presence, and that is indeed unfortunate…
    TVD was an entertaining series (for the most part); but seemed to be geared to the teens and 20-somethings of viewership. The ending was incoherent, abrupt, and left a bad taste in the mouths of many. Here too, with the Originals – it had begun as an enticing, binge-worthy series, only to have lost momentum in the last two seasons…Unfortunately, the Originals (imho), was able to capture a broader audience – the younger crowd that followed this VD spin-off; as well as a more mature audience that could relate to, and follow characters that are no longer in high school…and (occasionally) college.
    I can only imagine that this decision is based on the writers’ lack of vision and creativity – since we know from TVD that a story can be drug-on for an excruciatingly long time with no sense or purpose. However, there is such an incredible story here just waiting to be revealed…an amazing and intricate web of plots and characters that could take many more seasons to unfold. It will truly be appalling and shameful to find that the writers’ go no further than a complete turn-face back to the same ‘ole plot underlying TVD – but with the character of Hope in it’s stead.
    Surely the network could find new talent…for if not, they might as well just close the casket…

11. Hashanah Williams says:

I wish the producer reconsider. The originals is one of the best shows I watch. It would be heartbreaking if this show end. It wouldn’t be no reason to watch the cw channel both my shows ended vampire diaries and the originals smh😭😭😭😦😭😭

12. Raul says:

Please don’t the originals are my best.

13. deidra says:

This is crap! ! I didn’t want to watch this show, my so made me and now I’m addicted! Why why why????

14. Laurie says:

Ohhh nooooo!!!!!! Please don’t do this. I love the Originals!!!! I was so upset when the Vampire Diaries ended, but at least I still could watch my other favorite show – the Originals. Please reconsider!!!!! This is the only show that I watch (besides the Walking Dead and Supernatural)!!!!

Please, please, please – say it isn’t true!!!! There are too many fans out there that love this show!!!! Please don’t disappoint us!!!!

15. DelTheaCloud says:

Nooooooooooo I love this show….I can’t take losing VD and originals … there are no good vampire shows out rite now ..we live these characters.

16. Deborah Wait says:

You’re killing me! I watched all 8 seasons of The Vampire Diaries twice on Netflix and just finished the 4 seasons of The Originals! What am I going to do without my favorite vampires?? Guess I’ll be making more trips to the library since I won’t have anything to watch on TV. 😢

17. Carmen Ramos says:

Why? First Vampires Dairy know The Original no dont do that… 😭😭😭😭😭😭

18. Cmg says:

Klaus will be missed

19. Dean Walker says:

WHY? there’s sooo much more that can be put into this series like Caroline n klaus should end at least with the big man Klause gettig the girl he love’s, i suppose the chaps been looking for love for 1000’s of years….

20. Latosha Staten says:

Im so going to miss this show I love Claus so much and the family dynamic of there family first vampire diaries now the originals theses shows will truly be missed

21. DIANE SANKEY says:

Sadly all the good shows seem to end early which makes me think rather than piss off fans they should try getting new writers to get fresh ideas. Oh well, just one more nail in the coffin for TV.

22. lulu says:

The comments trashing other shows (who are better written and with better cast by the way) because their beloved the Originals is ending with 5 seasons are ridiculus…These shows doesn’t even have 5 seasons like the Originals has for pete’s sake. Buy you a brain..bitter the O ‘fans’..

23. Dean says:

oh, this year is just getting worst, why they are cancelling great shows, is it because they are running out of ideas, no, no and no this can be happening, the worst ever year for me as they already cancel me The Vampire Diaries, Grimm, The Sleepy Hollow and now also the originals and there will be nothing to watch anymore…

24. Bobbie says:

Noooo!! I dont understand why good shows end and the bad ones stick around “walking dead” smh and the zombie eating brain chick REALLY?!?!? Makes no sense this show is great and there is so more you can do THANKS ALOT!!!!!

• truth says:

euh..the zombie eating brain chick is a FAR BETTER show than the Originals and only had 4 seasons for now !! eyeroll.

25. iZombie, Jane the Virgin remain, but Originals cancelled?!? WTH! To many directions it can go.

• pau says:

What wtf..first they are better shows than the Originals to begin with and secondly they don’t even have 5 seasons for now !!!

26. Sheena says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS!! MY FAVORITE show 😭 this cant be true 😬

27. Kristina Spencer says:

I can’t believe this I love this show so much I’m the same I watched all the VD I will be so sad to see it stop please find a way to keep it going or a new network that will keep it going please we love it

28. Tanya says:

Noo, this is my favorite show, don’t end it. There’s so much more you can do. Especially with Candace King making appearances…i was upset when TVD ended but this will be so much worse, for me…

29. I did like the show Tomorrow people sad to see that show only have one season. The Originals I love better then Vampire Diaries sad to see it be the last season.

30. Vanessa says:

Wow no way this show is my favorite it needs more seasons like vampire diaries shut down dumb shows like izombie and flash specially supergirl

31. Michael says:

Ridiculous shows like izombie continues and a great show like TO is in its last season. It is unbelievable to me. It would be great if another network picked it up.

• lulu says:

unbelievable..whatever..first iZombie is a BETTER show and secondly it does not even have 5 seasons like the Originals so SHUT UP.

32. Karen says:

It’s just not fair. I have been here since True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, and the Originals. I have gotten to know these characters and love them deeply. When I read that this would be the final season for the Originals I wept. Yes I am upset with Julie Plec for not having what it takes to keep this series going. Boo Julie.

33. Serah Cheatham says:

This is a damn shame! There is no way that this shiw should be ending with season 5. I mean come on. You lengthened TVD to 7 seasons, why can’t you do the same for TO. To me, it’s a superior series.
    I am really disappointed that the show is ending. I of course will continue to watch but this is BS. Freya and Keelin are my favorite ship, and Klaus, well he is the man.

34. Pauline says:

Why? One of my fav series to end. There is alot of story left to give

35. Sharon Smith says:

It really sucks!!! Why is it every time a really good show that is on, it ALWAYS gets cancelled???!!! Then you put on some halfa** show that even a 5 year old would think is STUPID!!! Maybe the channel needs new writers. JUST PLAIN BS!!! DON’T think I will be watching ANYTHING on this channel anymore!!!

36. Troy Adams says:

Noooo. This is not just a horror series.. This is drama romance action all in one. We have watched all of the orginals i must say the acting is top notch .. And hope there is a season 6 but if your going to kill my show please show more at the final show.. It was not the best you could have done..

37. melissa says:

Its time tbh season 4 sucked and season 5 will only get worse with hope now being a teenager i can already imagine they will turn it into tvd 2.0 and it wont work tvd was better

38. Marsha says:

I love this show. Was not a TVD fan. Daniel Gillies is a genius.

39. R.W. says:

Can’t believe they are taking one of the most amazing shows off the air!!!!! I am heartbroken and angry that they do not seem to appreciate what a great show The Originals is!!!! Don’t think I will tune into the CW for any other shows after this!!

40. Lisa Dunmyer says:

Tearful already and the season hasn’t even started. When family goes away it is always so, but in true Mikaelson form… we will always and forever remember our time with you all.