‘The OA’ Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix

The OA
Courtesy of Netflix

Netflix has greenlit “The OA” for a second season, just eight weeks after the first installment of the mind-bending supernatural drama debuted.

“The OA” is written and produced by Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij. In the series, Marling (pictured above) stars as Prairie Johnson, a young blind woman who returns to her hometown after an unexplained seven-year absence — her eyesight restored and now calling herself “The OA.” She refuses to talk about her disappearance with anyone except four teenage boys and their high school teacher, sharing an incredible story involving her past identities, abduction and transdimensional travels in order to recruit them for a mysterious mission.

Related

‘The OA’ Creators Explain Netflix’s Mysterious New Drama (SPOILERS)

Netflix released season one of “The OA,” comprising eight one-hour episodes, on Dec. 16 with hardly any advance publicity.

In addition to Marling, the series cast includes Emory Cohen (“Brooklyn”), Scott Wilson (“The Walking Dead”), Phyllis Smith (“The Office”), Jason Isaacs (the “Harry Potter” films), Alice Krige (“Star Trek: First Contact”), Patrick Gibson (“The Tudors”) and Brendan Meyer (“Mr. Young”).

“The OA” is executive produced by Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Sarah Esberg from Plan B Entertainment and Anonymous Content’s Michael Sugar, alongside Batmanglij and Marling.

Watch the teaser trailer for “The OA” season 2:

1. f. graziani says:

I’m just catching up on a lot of the netflix series. I put this one off for last and only because I try to catch netflix series after they’ve had at least a couple seasons or I can be too disappointed to wait so long to get back into a plot. I love Sci Fi and have seen it evolve for 4 decades; being a die hard original star trek fan first.

For a short while, it seemed creative and different sci fi being written to touch on societal issues with unique stances was looking non existent. Now there are many new scripts hitting netflix from international viewpoints to twists on old favorites.

I expected to dislike this show from the offset but was intrigued from the beginning. I feel strongly that if you don’t truly like the original concept of sci-fi; what I can really credit this show with, you can’t like it at all. This show does more however then just touch on base societal problems and show alternative perceptions to what goes beyond. It lets the viewer keep any preconception of religion, scientific origin theory and multidimensional existence they may have while giving the concept that they can all exist in the same way.

Yes, it’s a deep and very thought provoking show about human nature and the gray between. Again, I can state if it doesn’t do that, it’s just not giving fans of sci-fi exactly what they can miss in any other genre. I can’t say enough about how much this show impacted me and how impressed I was with the plot, characters and the way it didn’t need to make any one point to touch on the simple fact that humanity goes beyond preconceptions and compassion isn’t such a simple concept. There is even some of Buddhist theories in here to round out the global concepts being hit upon. I thought the characters had depth and were human enough to touch anyone’s life. I actually have a sore spot with shows that don’t connect correctly or acting that doesn’t bring the story to life and I honestly can’t see that happening here. I thought the acting was just perfect. These characters were brought out in the simplest, most unobtrusive way that I took as ordinary, invisible people finding and seeking more. I honestly shed a few tears at the last part of the last episode. It remains a favorite with me.

I don’t know much of Brit Marling but thought she was really enchanting in this. Even more impressed she was part of the creative aspect behind the show. I am sincerely looking forward to the next season.

2. cal says:

+brooke yeah no that’s screwed up u sicko, /:\ completely disrespectful *he* ‘s trans gender and had gone through a hard time with her transition with her parents as seen in the second to last episode. He tries singing a favorite song to distract himself as they argue surely pained and un-content .You’re not only being offensive to the loving character but to all trans and trans allies everywhere, _correction_

3. Brooke says:

Correction- 3 teenage boys, and one teenage girl. She was androgynous yes, but she was definitely a girl.

4. Yan says:

I really enjoyed this show. Really. Too much more than I supposed. It is smart, well written, and although you don’t need to be a rocket science to understand it is still necessary to use a bit of brain to put the pieces together. I loved the way they managed to be puzzling without be confusing. All the things are explained at the proper time and it transcends any philosophic conviction. Of course, the people that didn’t suffer of religion brainwash will have a better understanding and acceptance of it. I will disagree with the statement that TV is just for entertainment. As any media TV has the primary duty of propagate clever ideas to make people think. Now if there is a bunch of bad stuff being broadcast it’s a whole different story. From my perspective the concept of “bread and circus” (being TV the circus) is so outdated.

5. nerdrage says:

There’s no point to justifying why you like or dislike this show. I usually HATE shows that have defects like huge plot holes, hand-waving hippie crap themes and characters being stupid for the convenience of the plot, but none of that puts me off this show at all. Very weird. Oh well, it’s not like we’re getting paid to watch TV shows so it doesn’t have to have a good reason, right?

6. Paul Johnson says:

I wanted to love this, but I tried and really felt deep hatred for it from the start. There are shows I dislike, but this is unusual as I actually physically hated it and it makes me angry just thinking about it.

Call me a simple person, but I watch movies and TV to be entertained. My life is quite stressful and I like to relax by watching shows that are solidly enjoyable, have great characters and are well made.

I simply am not entertained by this trash. The acting is atrocious, and I can’t say this enough. There are some people on this planet who actually like Brit Marling, and I’ve never understand such people. Her method of reading all her lines as if they are philosophical and biblical-level quotes gets incredibly annoying and unwatchable after about ten minutes.

As for the people referring to this show as ‘clever’ and calling me an idiot for ‘not understanding it’, don’t even try that argument. The main goal of movies and TV is to entertain. This show simply doesn’t, so I simply don’t care that it you could write an essay on it. It simply doesn’t matter. This is a TV show, not a life-changing experience. Get some perspective.

As for the similarity to Stranger Things, I’m not interested in hearing that it’s inspired by many things. I know that, I’ve seen a number of them. But it’s foolish to deny that the only reason this was made was because of they realised Stranger Things was going to be very successful. And it comes off as incredibly lazy from that front, with both the names Steve and Nancy being reused alongside many, many, many other things.

I don’t care how many ways you can attempt to debunk what I’m saying and show that I just don’t get this show, because at the end of the day if something is this boring, cold and emotionless, then being clever or highly stylized (and I’m not denying that it is) won’t save it.

• Quihn says:

Hey here’s a tip, if you don’t like a show, don’t read fuckin articles about it. Stupid.

• to you it’s boring. to others its mentally stimulating. you probably don’t like The Leftovers either. if a show can engage me, make me think, and make me ask questions i’ve never thought of, then i am entertained. I am interested. sure, the masses like mindless entertainment, but there a lot that like the slow intellectual shows that others just can’t seem to wrap their heads around. It’s not for everyone, and it’s not asking you to fall in love with it. Westworld may entertain you, The Leftovers may not, Stranger Things may entertain you, this may not (I for one, love all 4).

Also this was already greenlit and written before Stranger Things was even released, so how can you say that? It was just a coincidence that they had similar things in common. Pretty sure I read that this show has been in the writing process for a few years. soooo, yeah…

• Adrian Mills says:

I’ve never understood why anyone’s opinion over something as subjective as taste in TV is taken seriously. You don’t like vanilla icecream, fine, don’t eat it. But I do, so I will. See, simple.

• Matthew says:

YES just YES @ Adrian Mills. If you don’t like a show, fine. All shows have their fans and haters but if you don’t like it or even hate it WHY WATCH it? And just as important why waste time seeking out message boards to give long drawn out arguments about why you hate it like you’re trying to disprove a scientific theory. It’s a show – Watch it or not, like it or not. It’s that simple.

7. Matthew says:

But “coming” when? 2017 or 2018???

8. Walter says:

This was such an incredible show – from beginning to end. Cannot wait for a new season. Those that dislike it probably did not understand it.

9. Chuckster says:

SPOILER ALERT: The comment from Chet intentionally reveals key information about the OA. Avoid his comment if you prefer to make your own choice whether to watch the show. Some of us found it deeply moving.

10. Chet says:

I agree with Tom. If you love watching interpretive dance (also known as “nobody”), then you will love this stupid show.

11. Tom Graham says:

The OA had the ABSOLUTE worse ending I have ever seen. It left me thinking that I would never get those hours back that I watched the entire season. The series is about a young woman who convinces 5 people to meet her at night in a vacant home for sale and lies to them about her travels and how she went from being able to see, to being blind due to emotional trauma and then being able to see again, throwing in a kidnapping and a bunch of magical events in her past that she cannot prove.
    I walked away SO disappointed that I could never get the hours I invested back and that I could not unsee the series.

• bytejungle says:

I think you didn’t understand the thread. ;-)

• nerdrage says:

Mmm….I don’t think she lied. Stay tuned.

• except she didn’t make it up… those books that the others found under her bed were planted there by that FBI agent. They are trying to cover it up. The OA at the same time isn’t sure if the movements will work on the 5 people she has selected, because none of them have had an NDE, but she has to make them believe that it will. Her story and her ability to make them believe in everything, even after they discover the box, allows them to work together during a school shooting as a distraction that the OA had a premonition of. Her premonition was that she would have another upcoming death experience, and after getting shot she was able to crossover. Now if the movements didn’t work, then she will be stuck on the other side. If they did, she will be able to bring back the others. The ending leaves you with the cliffhanger of if it worked or not. If you didn’t get that, then you need to rewatch the show.

• bytejungle says:

I won’t say that this is not a possibility but doesn’t make much sense for me. Why that guy would do that? First he is not even an agent but a psychologist. Second at no point of the series it was shown that she is being investigated. Third seems pointless to “plant” those books because the guy couldn’t suppose that one of the kids would enter her house to mess with her things. Fourth her story is so lunatic that she doesn’t need any help to get disbelieved (her mental problem is enough). Honestly it sounds like a conspiracy theory and sincerely if the series be reduced to this then it will be really disappointing…

• Matthew says:

I concur with Frankie Rose, great analysis and it answered a few questions I had too so thanks.

• Frankie Rose says:

Fantastic analysis! Couldn’t have put it better!