Is ‘The Bold Type’ Finale a Season or Series Ender?

THE BOLD TYPE - "Carry The
Freeform

SPOILER ALERTDo not read if you have not watched “Carry The Weight,” the Sept. 5 finale of “The Bold Type.”

“The Bold Type” just aired its finale episode – but was it the show’s season or series ender? There is still no official confirmation from Freeform.

Executive producer Sarah Watson broke the story for the finale, and saw it through production, with the goal of “wrapping everything up but still leaving an element of ‘Where do they go from here?'”

The end of the season saw Sutton (Meghann Fahy) finally getting more responsibility in her new role as an assistant stylist as well as realizing she’s not yet over Richard (Sam Page), while Kat (Aisha Dee) finally hit the two-million follower mark on Scarlet Magazine’s Twitter account but found that success felt kind of hollow and went to reconnect with Adena (Nikohl Boosheri). And Jane (Katie Stevens) officially gave Jacqueline (Melora Hardin) her resignation and walked out of the Scarlet offices, ready to take on her own political vertical at rival publication Insight.

“All three of these girls made powerful, bold decisions in the finale,” Watson says, noting that what excites her as a writer are story changes. “I think movement in shows is great because it’s all about fresh stories.”

Related Content Why Freeform Needs to Renew ‘The Bold Type’

Though not a traditional ratings hit (the show fails to fall into the Top 25 cable programs for its night), critics, including Variety‘s Sonia Saraiya who called the premiere “fresh and energetic,” have been pleasantly surprised by the way the refreshing way the series skirts stereotypes and takes on topical stories. Variety‘s own Maureen Ryan recently penned an impassioned plea for the cabler to renew the show.

“We are overjoyed by the critical response, and even more so by the outpouring of love and passion from fans,” says Karey Burke, EVP of programming and development at Freeform. “It’s humbling and inspiring to know that these characters are already touching people in a significant way.”

Burke admits the ratings for the series are “modest,” but notes that the show does grow week to week, especially when taking delayed viewing into consideration. Recent episodes have averaged a 0.1 in the coveted 18-49 demographic when looking at live and same-day numbers, but the show sees a 200% increase when looking at the seven-day window (0.2 for +7, bringing live +7 to 0.3).

“Our hopes were that it would be a brand-defining series, in that it continues our tradition of celebrating female friendships and tackling social issues, but through a lens that was missing from the television landscape,” Burke says “In the current political and social climate,” she says the subject matter touched upon within “The Bold Type” has “felt more important than ever to explore.”

The finale episode didn’t shy away from those elements. While the majority of the season had the three young women of Jane, Kat, and Sutton at the center of the story, the finale pushed their boss Jacqueline into the mix when revealing that she was a sexual assault survivor.

The writers, and Hardin herself, knew this about Jacqueline’s character from “very early on,” but revealing it to the audience – and the other characters – so late in the game was a chance to peel back a very important layer of a guarded woman, explains Watson. “We thought we knew who she was in the pilot, but she had a moment of warmth and let Jane in then and said ‘I see you,’ and this was Jane’s moment to really see her, too,” Watson says.

The finale brought the show full circle in another way as well. In the pilot, Jacqueline gave her employees a pivotal speech that acted as a “battle cry” for the season. “She’s like, ‘Make mistakes, have adventures, sleep with the wrong people, sleep with the right people,'” Watson recalls. “And over the course of the season, they’ve done everything in that speech.” The finale set out to show where the characters are now – and who the characters are now – having gone through those experiences. Even if Freeform ends up not granting a second season to the show, Watson hopes the audience will be satisfied with the ending because of its ambiguity.

“When we were breaking the story about the decisions the girls would make in the finale, our writers’ room didn’t necessarily agree right away on what they should do, and even as we finished the script, there were still some questions and second-guessing on if what they were doing was the ‘right’ decision for them,” Watson says. “But I feel like that makes it a strong finale.”

1. Christine says:

Such an amazing show. Really inspiring and incredible, these characters are energetic and fun. I love every single thing about this show. Please Please Please renew it Freeform!!

2. Jo dee says:

I haven’t even heard of Freeform or The Bold Type until this evening, watched the pilot, and am now hooked! I don’t even watch or own a TV, but I started a free trial with Hulu just because of this show. Really hope it gets renewed.

3. Cathy Okerlund says:

As an older woman I really enjoyed The Bold Type. It brought out thoughts in me wishing that I had been a bolder woman back when I was younger & taken chances in the workforce. The topics are real & should be open for discussion. I think too many younger people are overwhelmed with our politics, sexuality & where we stand in the workforce especially as women.

4. Reese says:

This is the best new show I’ve seen in years. It would be a huge mistake to cancel it. Especially in this political climate! They should give it a bigger push, like what TV Land did for Younger the season.

5. Jack says:

Freeform would be foolish not to renew it—it’s the first show they’ve had that’s been any good. The ratings seem decent considering that it’s on a network that most people have probably never even heard of (I discovered and watch it on Hulu).

6. You guys have to give it a chance it went over the it From free form and there showing things I thought they would show meaning this is a good thing there not scared to show real things that is going on in the world … and that rare on tv it need a second season it must has to

7. Lajuanya Spates says:

Please consider a Season 2. I am 44 and this show has given me ambition to re enter my passion for fashion. I have my 18 year old daughter watching this show because she is majoring in fashion marketing and this is the career path she wants to take. I am obsessed with watching this show. Cant wait until it airs again.

• Whew, I’m happy that I’m not the only generation X’er that is all about this show, lol. I loved it. Although I may not be in the demo, I felt so inspired each and every week to go after what I wanted in life and to push myself to put in the work to be a better writer.

8. Elle says:

I just finished crying my eyes out in the season finale because it hit so close to home only to Google the show to find out when it will be returning–and learned it may not be returning at all…?!! Please please PLEASE bring this show back for a season 2! It’s so well-written and tackles relevant social issues while also highlighting the experiences and strength of women so eloquently…I’ve laughed, I’ve cried, and I’ve fallen in love with all of the characters…Something that should be considered is that in this busy and technologically advanced day and age, with shows being available ondemand, there are a lot of us who tune in when we can, which may not reflect in ratings numbers. I don’t watch on Tuesdays, but I guarantee I find it ondemand when I have a free hour after the responsibilities of the day are taken care of, and I’d be willing to bet a lot of women do, too. Really hoping for a season 2! :)

9. D L Korn says:

Love the series please have a season 2 I watch with friends all in our 60’s all professional and this brings back so many memories of out starting our careers. We were the Bold Type Girls!

10. Kimberly says:

Please have a season two to The Bold Type it’s a really good story, I really like it please have it returned.

11. Ashli says:

This is such a well written show! It’s fun yet empowering and overall positive. We need more shows like this. Here’s hoping for many seasons to come!

12. Nalie says:

Please bring this show back for a second season and many more. Jacqueline’s story on the final episode is so powerful. I really identify with Mia’s story though. I have been through a similar situation. To feel completely let down by the the system and to be made to feel like you did something wrong when you did not is hard. It is hard to come forward in the first place and then to not have justice served and worse to be treated as the bad guy instead of the victim… It’s really nice to have these topics brought into the light. So thank you. #CarrytheWeight

13. Mary says:

Love the show. Hope there will be many more seasons!! Love the realistic storylines Hits Home for sure 👍🏻👍🏻

14. Masara says:

I really need a second season ! Such an empowering show.

15. Meg Aragon says:

Loved this show, it had its way of inspiring you to be the best you. Take chances, you just never know where they’ll lead you.

16. Morgana says:

I AM FREAKING out just wondering If It is not gonna be renewed. What an amazing show. It deserves só much more praise than It gets.

17. Karen says:

I love this show and the characters play their parts so well. Please renew for season two. Thank you and Aloha!

18. Leslie says:

Love this show! I totally look forward to it each week. Please bring it back next year!

19. Bee says:

I really enjoy watching this show it’s what I looked forward to every Tuesday. I really hope that there is a second season

20. Caroline says:

Fantastic show so refreshing and realistic I really hope it comes back for season 2 would really be sad if it did not.

21. Jackie says:

This is the best new show on TV, hands down. If it doesn’t get renewed, it will be a shame. Freeform absolutely needs this show to redefine its brand. Without this show, there is nothing I watch on their channel now that PLL has finally ended.