‘The Bachelorette’ Recap: Rachel Is Feeling All the Feels (and It Feels Good)

Rachel Bachelorette
Courtesy of ABC

This week of “The Bachelorette” is important. Why, you ask? It’s hometown dates week! Why, you still ask, slightly irked and unsatisfied? Well, if history stays consistent, one of these men will become the next Bachelor, two will end up on “Bachelor in Paradise” and/or fade into obscurity, and one will win Rachel’s heart … and maybe, probably break things off six months later after a spinoff, or moderately successful run on “Dancing With the Stars.” OK, I tried, there really aren’t any stakes. Despite that, this episode somehow manages to get emotional. Maybe I’m a little sleep-deprived, and a bit of an open emotional wound, but — I’ll admit it — I teared up more than once. What “Game of Thrones” premiere? There is only one throne on television that matters (Rachel’s heart’s throne, come on!) and it will be won by one of four men: Eric, Bryan, Peter, or Dean. Each of the four get a chance to introduce Rachel to his family, starting with Eric.

Related

Rachel Lindsay Bachelorette

‘The Bachelorette’ Recap: Rachel Gets Caught in an Avalanche of Emotion

Eric’s date is arguably the most straightforward of the four, and therefore I will use the least amount of words to describe it. Eric has a seemingly lovely family, and Rachel fits right in. The only thing about her relationship with Eric that gives Rachel pause is that he’s never been in love before, whatever that means. By the end of the date that changes (sort of). Eric tells Rachel that he’s been thinking, “I really love this girl,” meaning Rachel (we hope). He follows that up in the same breath with “and let me tell you what that means.” Rachel sounds like she wishes it had been a little more straightforward, but I, for one, think Eric took the perfect approach. It was heartfelt and sincere, but not crazy and over-eager. Great job, Eric!

Next, Rachel goes to Miami where she meets Bryan’s family. We know that Bryan’s last relationship didn’t work out in large part because his girlfriend didn’t mesh well with his family, specifically his mother. Before we get to meet the matriarch, Rachel has to play dominoes while Bryan tries to play translator with two older men who seem to be (and I could have not been paying close attention) complete strangers.

Rachel expresses nervousness that Bryan’s last girlfriend had a difficult time with his family, and Bryan happily throws his ex under the bus. “That was not on them (his family), but more on the other person (his ex).” Rough! Anyway, Bryan’s family basically corroborates his story. Bryan’s sister says his ex felt threatened by his mom’s possessiveness. “I don’t even know how that’s a threat … she’s his mom,” the sister says. The mom in question put on a tough act, including this gem — “If he’s happy, I’m happy. If not, I’ll kill you.” — but in the end breaks down in tears because she’s ready to give her son away. Rachel passes the test, and Bryan, in the most Bryan way possible, professes his love for the Bachelorette. Next!

Rachel meets Peter in Madison, where he introduces her to his friends … who are conspicuously … diverse. Rachel throws Peter under by telling the friends that he told her, “I have ten close friends. Eight out of ten are black.”

“Did he pull out his black card?” one friend jokes, but it’s only sort of a joke because it really sounds like that’s exactly what Peter did. Regardless, Rachel wins over yet another group of strangers. “She seems super genuine,” Peter’s friend tells him. “Don’t f— it up.”

Rachel then meets Peter’s family, and “melts” when she sees the way that he plays with his niece. Rachel’s adamant about wanting to start a family, but Peter’s mom cautions that he may not be ready for marriage — for now she might have to live with “commitment.” Peter is the most reserved of the four when it comes to professing his love in that he … doesn’t. “I’m very happy,” he tells Rachel. “Good for you,” she responds. Kidding! She says, “I’m very happy too.” End scene.

And enter Dean! The final date comes with the most anticipation. Dean has seemed wary about introducing Rachel to his family to the point that he was possibly trying to get her to send him home last week. He’s also warned Rachel several times that he has an abnormal family life and his dad is “eccentric.” On this episode we learn what he means.

Dean’s mom died when he was 15 years old, and from the sound of it, his dad was financially available, but that’s about it. He has since become a Kundalini yogi, and changed his name to Paramroop. “His name is Paramroop,” Dean tells Rachel. “What does he want me to call him?” Rachel asks calmly. “Paramroop,” Dean replies.

Dean apparently hasn’t seen his dad in two years, and for them to reunite on the show seems, at the least, uncomfortable to watch, and at the worst, exploitative. There’s an interesting moment when Dean’s dad serves everyone food, but Dean won’t touch it. He claims that he’s full. Later, we learn that Dean’s dad had to learn how to cook after his wife died, so the bowl of food that he put in front of Dean on television was much more than its physical properties. These are the layers of baggage that we are confronted with on what is otherwise a more-less silly game show. The date ends in a shouting match between Dean and his father. When Rachel tries to talk to Paramroop, he tries to walk away, saying, “I regret it. This doesn’t work.” The date ends with Dean and Rachel lying on the ground. “I know that I’m falling in love with you,” Dean tells her. “I’m falling in love with you too,” she replies.

That is, until she sends him home. Seriously! After all that, Dean goes home. The end!

Do you think Rachel made the right choice? Do you think that it makes perfect sense that Peter wouldn’t want to get married right away? Do you think that was a loaded question? Weigh in below.

1. Lynn says:

I hope Rachel picks Eric, he seems the best fit of the remaining three. Eric is not a smooth talker but he seems to be into Rachel, seems sincere and is not creepy like the others. I didn’t like the way Bryan threw his last girlfriend under the bus by saying “she” had a problem with his mother when it was clear from last night that his mother has a problem with any woman dating her little boy. I don’t think Peter is really interested in black women, it’s just a feeling I have. I don’t think he is a racist. He should be true to himself and stop trying to be politically correct. I hope she doesn’t pick him. I liked Dean but that whole scene with his father was unreal and what did him in. He unraveled completely last night. It almost wasn’t fair to bring his dysfunctional family into the show.

2. Michelle says:

Call Me stupid or whatever but I didn’t see a thing wrong with the article except maybe a few comma before the and which in middle School We learned a comma doesn’t go before AND. …Otherwise, the article was informative and read well enough to give Me what I was looking for as My DVR didn’t get the last 30 mins. But thanks for the comments too. I think She best fits with Eric too …IMO

• Barb says:

The reason you don’t think it was badly written is because between the time I read the article and posted and the time you read the article, he did a MAJOR edit.

• Michelle says:

I do feel bad for Dean … He owned his whole life up and​let Himself fall in love only to be shot down. That’s not cool. And the family visit was a spectacle to say the least. It was sad to learn that She let Him go. :(

3. Deb says:

I feel awful for Dean! What was all that for? His whole life was opened to live tv just so she can say, I love you but then send him home? So let’s pick the guy who already said he isn’t there yet?!
    Typical. But I really feel like the network shouldn’t of exposed his family life. There are ratings and there’s morality.

4. Laura says:

After watching last night’s episode, I think we all know why Brian is unmarried. He does seem like a nice guy, but if the cord hasn’t been cut by age 37, will it ever be? He seems too good to be true for a reason. But apparently that doesn’t stop Rachel from accepting his proposal. I do wish she would have reframed from buying the expensive matching watches. That could have waited until later. But just another form of validation she wanted Bryan to have. By the way, there is a deleted scene video going around that shows Bryan showing off his watch to the remaining 5 men. The look on Peter’s face is gut-wrenching. What reasonable man would then would drop the walls down guarding his heart? I don’t think a proposal from Peter will be possible in the 3 weeks left of taping. Maybe the show could have ended different if Rachel would have bought her and Bryan a little something from a street vendor. Three is a crowd in a marriage. The mother with her best intentions will not change.

5. Kim says:

Loved your article Seth! I concur with your review. It didnt feel right watching the pains of Deans family dynamics. It almost felt invasive watching it but I know it’s a reality tv show. My heart goes out to him. He seems like a sweet, genuine person and I truly hope he finds the girl if his dreams. I think Rachel should run like the wind from Brian as her potential mother in law “to be” looks like a royal pain in anyone’s ass. (Just say’en) Pay attention to your predecessor Rach! She ran for what appears to be good reason!

• PeanutButter says:

Did you see Peter’s IR BM friends? One was very angry almost envious that Peter is dating Fine Racquel it bothered him and he couldn’t cover it up very well! Now the Nerdy BM with the heavy WW, it didn’t bother him but the other one with the blonde was ANGRY! I really bursted out laughing because BM don’t except many of the attractive BW to move on and that’s just what many of we BW are doing! I just got married to an established WM at my church yesterday, my Wedding in Feb 2018. I wasn’t willing to support or allow a BM to live off men, that’s what the buik of BM do!

6. Tiney says:

I Hope That She Picks ERIC.He Seems To Be The Best N Caring Person💝💝.

• PeanutButter says:

Eric doesn’t offer a future he’s a personal trainer! Did you see Peter’s two BM friends with IR one of them almost choked with envy he couldn’t hide it! A WM gets pretty highly educated BW while they were both with average WW. One BM was angry he didn’t do a go job hiding it!

7. Doris says:

The only one that seems her fit is Eric! Peter seems not for real but will gain popularity because he is cute.Doesnt match at all.Not looking like true love.?????

8. Barb says:

You should be ashamed to have this printed on the net. You are either illiterate or just plain lazy. A cursory and quick proof read would have picked up 20+ glaring errors, from spelling and grammar to missing words. If you are going to put your words out for everyone to see, at least learn how to use spellcheck. I hope to hell Variety isn’t paying you for this incompetent mess because if they are, someone higher up than you needs to be fired for allowing this to be posted in the first place.

• PeanutButter says:

Eric’s okay he’s a personal trainer no future! Sorry that won’t work he’s in his 30’s and he’s capped! Racquel wants to have 4 kids and with Eric she will be the breadwinner and raising the kids alone while Eric does what? Not a good choice long term, he never talked about his future plans because he doesn’t have any other than to get a Lawyer who will most likely be a Judge while she takes care of BM that works on and off? I don’t think so ………………Raquel open your eyes! Find an established man who going to partner not just live off you!

• Lola says:

They are all nice young men, however, I think they are there for TV, Eric may say he’s ready, but he is not. Never brought a girlfriend home. I don’t think he is ready or able to support a family with Rachel. Bryan, too much of a momma’s boy and I can see he problems that will arise within their relationship. I was pulling for Peyer, but he has made his decision and he is not ready for marriage. Dean, poor Dean. I love Dean and hate what he had to go through. I think Dean needs to get counseling before he tries to be in any relationship with anyone. I actually felt his pain. I personally do not see any of these guys having a lasting relationship with Rachel. Well, not the marriage type.

• Elle says:

Barb, please be civil. No one is perfect. Respectful, accurate correction is more than sufficient.