Tom Hardy’s ‘Taboo’ Set for Season 2 at FX and BBC One

Taboo renewed Tom Hardy FX
Courtesy of FX

Tom Hardy’s James Keziah Delaney will return to your TV screens. BBC One and FX have ordered a second season of period drama “Taboo,” Variety has learned. Like the first season, Season 2 of “Taboo” will consist of eight episodes.

“Tom and Steve and the show’s brilliant producers are promising something daring, different but equally unmissable and I’m delighted that the BBC is partnering with FX once again to roll ‘Taboo’ out to audiences across the world,” said BBC Drama controller Piers Wenger.

“We are grateful and excited to continue our relationship with the BBC and FX in contributing towards British drama,” Hardy said. “Fantastic news.”

The first season, which just wrapped on FX, followed Delaney (Hardy), a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to 1814 London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father’s shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But his father’s legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. Encircled by conspiracy, murder and betrayal, a dark family mystery unfolds in a combustible tale of love and treachery.

Hardy originally conceived of the series with his father Chips, bringing in Steven Knight to write. The first season was a modest performer in the U.S., drawing an average audience of 1.24 million and a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic, and generally doubling that in Nielsen’s Live+3 numbers. In the U.K., the BBC says each episode was watched by 5.8 million people within seven days, and 7 million beyond seven days, and that the premiere drew the third-highest audience of any series on BBC iPlayer.

“Taboo” is produced by Ridley Scott’s Scott Free London and Tom Hardy’s Hardy Son & Baker for BBC One and FX with Sonar Entertainment distributing worldwide outside the U.K. Executive Producers are Ridley Scott and Kate Crowe for Scott Free, Tom Hardy and Dean Baker for Hardy Son & Baker, and Steven Knight.

1. Dennis Davey says:

Glad to see Taboo renewed for season 2. Excellent story line and excellent acting.

2. Ralph Humphrey says:

“I have use for you. “

3. Joseph P Ramsey says:

In season 2 instead of each episode lasting 1:20 they need to add on ten more minutes make them last 1:30 and with the extra time do brief flash backs to his time in London when he was younger and then gradually lead up to when he joined the military and then finally when he left for Africa and everything that happened there over the years. They could have 4 or 5 more seasons where he’s flashing back 4 or 5 times in each episode for 4 to 6 minutes for each flash back. That would awesome!

4. Rodney J McMillen says:

my thoughts are this is a wonderful exciting new drama. Great hi Tom Hardy.

5. Tabatha Sterling says:

I missed watching it when it aired in Jan 2017 but recently subscribed to fx on demand and spent my last 2 days off binge watching. I absolutely fell in love!!!! My curiosity led me here to find out if there were more episodes or seasons. I was upset to find out that I have watchedcall that there is to watch but delighted to find out there will be a second season. Now I have to be patient. Hope I don’t have to wait too long!!!!! Love it!!!

6. Mary Kelsey says:

Tom Hardy “conceived,” produced and participated all through to the editing room this series from his production company Hardy Son. Good acting is always in the details and this passion project he devours all his energy in is most def worth a look see. He is by far the best actor of his generation and my personal fav. THANK U FX for bringing this series in for a second season! Mind blowing good.

7. Robyn O'Neil says:

I loved it and cant wait for the second season to start in the us, please let me know when it will began

8. GG says:

I can’t believe that it didn’t do better in the US. I loved it and the story line was awesome. Tom was great and everyone else were great too!

9. Andrea Rowe says:

I’m so pleased! I’m not much of a TV watcher, but this series had me mesmerised…. and James Keziah Delaney is delicious.

10. loco73 says:

Outstanding show with a brilliant cast and excellent cast and production values! I’m glad it’s coming back for a second season if only for conclude the story!

11. catwoman says:

Absolutely LOVE IT….Here in the US….LOVE Tom Hardy…BUT the show is phenomenal! I Love that time period & history!!! Can’t wait me & my friends were hoping it now it’s TRUE!!!’ THRILLED!!’