Steve Harvey’s Shocking Memo to Talk Show Staff Surfaces: ‘Do Not Approach Me’

Steve Harvey memo staff
Evan Vucci/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Steve Harvey is moving his daytime talk show to Los Angeles this fall, but his new staff may not want to expect a sunny welcome from the host — at least, if his past communication is any indication of his attitude toward his staffers.

A memo that was sent from Harvey to his staff surfaced earlier today on Robert Feder’s Chicago media blog telling employees not to approach him. “Do not come to my dressing room unless invited….Do not approach me while I’m in the makeup chair unless I ask to speak with you directly,” read the memo. “Do not take offense to the new way of doing business. It is for the good of my personal life and enjoyment.”

Sources tell Variety the memo was sent to his staff in Chicago before the start of the fifth season of his former daytime talk show, “Steve Harvey,” which ran for five seasons in national syndication. Starting this fall, the revamped show will tape in Los Angeles at Harvey’s request, with a new crew. Sources say the memo may have been leaked by a former staff member, who may not have been invited to work on the new LA-based show.

Harvey’s reps did not respond to Variety‘s request for comment.

Related

Steve Harvey Tartikoff Awards

Steve Harvey Gains Ownership, Creative Control in New Talk Show Deal With NBCUniversal, IMG

Last year, Harvey set a new deal with NBCUniversal and IMG to launch a revamped syndicated show that would give him an ownership stake and control over the production. The past five seasons of his show were produced by Endemol Shine North America and distributed by NBCUniversal Domestic Television. With the move from Chicago to L.A., producers of the new show have noted that more celebrity guests will appear on the show, given that more talent is based in Southern California than the Midwest.

Harvey’s behavior has been subject to media attention in the past. This January, a controversial segment on his talk show poked fun at Asian men. In summer 2015, the host was trending on Twitter for a homophobic rant on his show.

Aside from the daytime show, Harvey also hosts ABC’s “Celebrity Family Feud,” NBC’s “Little Big Shots” and its spinoff series, and is attached to Fox’s upcoming “Showtime at the Apollo” revival.

Read Harvey’s full memo below:

Good morning, everyone. Welcome back.

I’d like you all to review and adhere to the following notes and rules for Season 5 of my talk show.

There will be no meetings in my dressing room. No stopping by or popping in. NO ONE.

Do not come to my dressing room unless invited.

Do not open my dressing room door. IF YOU OPEN MY DOOR, EXPECT TO BE REMOVED.

My security team will stop everyone from standing at my door who have the intent to see or speak to me.

I want all the ambushing to stop now. That includes TV staff.

You must schedule an appointment.

I have been taken advantage of by my lenient policy in the past. This ends now. NO MORE.

Do not approach me while I’m in the makeup chair unless I ask to speak with you directly. Either knock or use the doorbell.

I am seeking more free time for me throughout the day.

Do not wait in any hallway to speak to me. I hate being ambushed. Please make an appointment.

I promise you I will not entertain you in the hallway, and do not attempt to walk with me.

If you’re reading this, yes, I mean you.

Everyone, do not take offense to the new way of doing business. It is for the good of my personal life and enjoyment.

Steve Harvey

1. Robert says:

It seems odd that tonight Steve complimented Betty White for helping Arthur Duncan, a black tap dancer be included on an all white variety show, which was a big deal back then. He made the point that we all need to help each other, bring each other up. . But this memo and some of his comments are contrary. Maybe he needs a break from one of his shows.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Do you miss the irony of your comment?! He did a good thing on TV, & you mention it as a possible sign he needs a break… At the end of an article wherein he tells people not to come to him.

The fact is WE all need a break from HIM!!!

2. Toya H. says:

Too big for your britches? Respect those who. helped get you where you are today!

• Juice says:

I don’t watch any of his shows.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Neither does he… In fact, rumor has it he’s recording a podcast in which he tells people not to read the memo he just sent out telling people to not watch his shows. (Also, the news “Little Big Shots: Forever Young” has no been re-titled, “Little Big Shots: Forever New, as you won’t have watched them 2 decades later”.)

3. Grace Segers says:

Steve just needs a good administrative assistant….he can have his down time and have scheduled visits with a start and end time…..everybody is happy and he created a new and indispensable position. Any successful business, regardless of size, need a good administrative assistant….

• tjchurch2001 says:

He does not need is an assistant. What he needs is people in show business to realize that in many cases, he is successful in shows like “Little Big Shots” (in spite of himself, due to the kids, & other successes he has despite his well-publicized screw-ups (naming wrong winners, etc.).

I am simply waiting for him to open a burger joint, & be the only one dumb enough to apply for counter-work there alongside/for… Well, him.

4. Nichole says:

As a Hospice nurse, and former psychiatric nurse I totally understand where he’s coming from. When you are a “public servant” most people think you should be ‘on’ at all times. That is not fair- we have families, we have our own issues that we deal with, and in order to do what we do we need time to make sure we are at our peak- we can’t do this without downtime, whether its prior to his appearances or on his personal time. Give that to him, he does so much for the community and asks nothing in return other than to let him have down time when he arrives and is on set- not too much to ask.

• tjchurch2001 says:

In your jobs, you have been a public servant. Harvey, however, is a public danger, & perhaps should be in a psych ward to protect the rest of us from him.

5. Sherri Crook says:

YOU GO STEVE!!….

AS A WISE MAN ONCE SAID, “A MAN MUST KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS!!”…

TO THE STAFFERS, THIS IS NOTHING PERSONAL, “JUST BUSINESS!”…WE ALL HAVE TO SET PERSONAL BOUNDARIES, AND WHAT EVER STEP STEVE TAKES WILL BE POLARIZED, DUE TO HIS CELEBRITY STATUS!!!!…..

PUT YOURSELF IN HIS SHOES!!!…HE CAN’T BE EVERYTHING TO EVERYBODY!!!..

HE IS THE…… “CHIEF DUDE!!” GIVE HIS RESPECT, PROPS, AND SPACE,,,,,,,,D***!!!….HE GAVE YOU A JOB!!!,,,(AND A D*** GOOD ONE!)

“STAY BLESSED, BY THE BEST!!

SMOOCHES!!!

6. Barbara says:

Seems like the trip to Trump Towers rubbed off on him. He don’t want to be informed either. So email him of any changes in the show. If he get it or not in time so bee it. I can understand bringing friends in back for autographs when you’re trying to get ready for a show should never have been allowed. IF it has anything to do with today’s work you don’t have time for appointments. Maybe he needs a personal assistant.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Do not blame Trump for Steve’s problems… Steve lost his mind via his bald top long ago, as proven by his infamous pageant mistake. Now, he wishes to not be informed (according to you) even though he works on a “game show” where he gestures to the top answers every time despite having it in front of him already & knowing if what someone said is on the list.

Apparently, many failed to pay attention when America said they want this man off their televisions.

7. He has every right to tell them to fuck off. Give him some space.

8. Splinter76 says:

I don’t blame him at all. I think someone is trying to make him look bad by leaking this and if that’s the kind of staff he had, then I don’t blame him at all.

• tjchurch2001 says:

“IfI what “is the kind of staff he had”….? He reaps what he sows, & sending memos like this gets you staff that go against your orders (not requests), & therefore earn termination (with his to follow if not precede theirs)!!!

9. As it stood be! Half of them wouldn’t be employed if he wasn’t in charge,follow the memo ppl! He didn’t say nothin about terminating anyone 4 anything, he just needs room to think,breathe and be steve! Bn Steve is payn them staff bills is how I’d look at it,if m staff? Oh I hear that memo loud n clear! I had this prob after highschool by having my own apt.Ppl round the clock dropped in…for 35yrs! I allowed ppl 2b themselves,til there was no ..me time. I ended up workn on 43 tv/films etc and just wrote a book about said adventures titled..”Legally Omitted”, I’m warning grads,after highschool,life complications start! I feel ya steve.

• tjchurch2001 says:

“Half of them wouldn’t be employed if he wasn’t in charge”…? Yes, they likely would, but not by someone who bosses them around like this in groups without names or reasons, nor who has proven repeatedly to be an idiot!

10. La la says:

I don’t blame Steve it’s all about respect…its what you were grown to have much ❤️ Steve God bless…

11. Sophia says:

Sigh, this isn’t a big deal! Most celebrities have these rules.

12. Marcina Cole says:

What is Steve Harvey worry about, if one of his staff knocks on his dressing room door, hmmm?

13. This kinda blows my mind coming from a C-List celebrity!!!

• tjchurch2001 says:

Was it blown before or after you gave him that undeserved grade?!

Calling him a “celeb” may not be wrong, as many without talent (reality stars, & even people who may never appear on screens) get that term applied, but giving him any letter grade (or a paying job) is above what he deserves!

14. solarmagnet says:

He’s been surprisingly responsible with the shows he has. He does a lot. It’s a job and he has a normal life too. Sometimes I just want to do my job and go home. He’s being honest while starting over. He’ll still be talking to people, when necessary. Bigger problems in the world like firing the lead investigator of a possibly rigged election.

15. s.c says:

What’s the problem? He is the boss and it’s only fair that he allowed to get a few minutes breathing room while at the office. Maybe he doesn’t want to have to be “on” everywhere all the time. It doesn’t sound mean to me. It sounds like he’s setting boundaries. Jmo.

• George says:

The problem is that he’s being a total asshole about it.

• tjchurch2001 says:

I’d say a larger problem is he continues to be hired after doing such things, not to mention famously proving he’s not talented at all, or even able to do the important things at these jobs (like name the correct winner of a pageant)!

I thought I had read his daytime show was being not relocated location-wise, but entirely taken off all schedules.

16. tjchurch2001 says:

Why would anyone change channels, let alone cities, for this guy?! If you’re not in his family, he’ll call you by the wrong name &/or title (why he needs celebrities everyone knows to be on the show)!

17. Lex says:

It must work, he said the same thing to his hair and it’s gone forever.

18. rman56 says:

Don’t take offense? I don’t even watch his really stupid daytime talk show but until he learns to talk to other human beings with respect, and after he brings himself down to the earth where the rest of us live and apologizes to his staff all I can say is he sounds like a total jackass. BUT…I’m not shocked.

19. BrownSugarC says:

I rarely watch Steve Harvey. He is funny, though, especially with Family Feud and the Little Big Shots. I understand this perfectly. You have no idea how people will violate your space for stupid reasons. Taking those pictures with “their family or friends five minutes before you are going on has to be a pain.

20. Philip Jack says:

What’s the big deal? Seems perfectly reasonable to me…

21. Tony says:

Steve Harvey made a perfectly reasonable request in a totally disrespectful and unprofessional manner. These types of written communications never go over well. The guilty staff will not recognize their own inappropriate behavior; and those who aren’t guilty don’t need to be told and will resent being lumped in with the others. Steve is amazingly talented man, but here he is wrong.

22. Howard Tibbs The 3rd says:

I love how the all these know-it-all commenters just assume it must only a few people here and there coming at him, and for just a second or two at a time, and he’s just blowing things way out of proportion. If you haven’t been on their set, or backstage during a TV show production (I have), and witnessed the FLURRY of activity that goes on to get a show ready…Get over yourselves before telling someones else to do it.

• Howard Tibbs The 3rd says:

Wow, where’s the edit button? Time to delete my “Grammarly” app…More trouble than it’s worth, shifting words around and deleting others!

23. JERRY HILL says:

whatever floats your boat–P R I D E

24. He’s still a really good guy but he does need some time alone to think and to mentally prepare. NOTHING wrong wit that.

25. Tiffany Wright says:

I can’t imagine that they would be approaching him at those times unless they had felt welcome to do so in the past. He probably told him he has an open door policy. Also private time is usually in your trailer. You can’t want private time when you’re not by yourself. If you’re walking in the hallway or in your make up chair that maybe the only time they can catch you and I’m sure they’re asking questions that are relevant to the shows taping that day. The rule change isn’t even the big issue however. The big issue is that he saying he’s being ambushed. That is such a poor choice of words. Like they’re trying to attack him when I’m sure they just want to talk to him or ask him a question about something. And then he puts himself and a victim category saying he’s being taken advantage of just by people approaching him in a hallway; that’s taking advantage of you?

• PS says:

Have you been there? Are you part of his staff and have first hand experience or just talking out of your ass and assuming? What you can and can’t imagine has no bearing how it really is, so really, you have no grounds to judge.

26. Ding Ding says:

The lights are not working properly, please turn right more Harvey. What? Harvey? why are you removing me, I need to tell him.
    So is this how he imagines stuff to be done.
    Freakin diva.
    As if he was ambushed every 2 seconds. Get over yourself egocentric douche.

27. Sean says:

He is simply asking people not to be disrespectful and barge in or catch him off guard. Appointments ensure he can speak to them and set aside time for their concerns. Random meetings in the hall may not be as well thought out, and can betaken out of context. Look at what the guy has been through, he’s been it situations that affected his image, and he’s just trying to cover himself.

28. Carmen Brito says:

Your public figure deal with it,

29. arthur d bradley says:

It can be very maddening for people to bother you. has my sympathy.

30. Lex says:

Somehow, I get the feeling that there’s going to something that comes out about this guy. He’s trying to keep some sort of tape from being released. This goes on beyond privacy. I feel that something is going to come out about this guy and people aren’t going to like it.

31. Christina Jones says:

I would have written a similar memo. I like my privacy and I imagine the dressing room is an intimate place. People are too sensitive and lack any sort of empathy all of you complauning are hypocrites think of time you talked crap to or about someome either to their face or behind their back- get off your high horse here. When you go on stage and give a lot of yourself infront of a camera you probably just want to let your stomach hang out after and not have to be on guard; especially in this age where literally everyone has a camera.

32. Alec says:

Seriously, wtf is going on in his dressing room that he’s so afraid of being interrupted? Sarcasm aside he’s not the boss the Network is and always will be. Talent is always replaceable and when you start pissing off the public you quickly lose que value and then your job. No one in the entertainment industry is that important and he hasn’t made Oprah money or anywhere close to that kind of fan base so he should look in the mirror and count to ten before putting something like that on paper again. This industry has the memory of an elephant. Your light people, makeup people, bookers, managers of visiting talent etc won’t want to be associated with this kind of mistake misogyny. Whatever lawyer thought this memo was ok has clearly never been on a active set. There is often no choice but to interrupt people with fast moving changes or your talent can miss their mark. Get real.

• Alec says:

Typos aside in my previous post. And even though most don’t take “millennials” seriously we do a lot of the lower paid staffing jobs at places like this. Who has time to do this hanging on crap we’re busy working? I think in his dreams or maybe a stalker and they aren’t our problem. It’s for security and the courts. We don’t get paid to get hurt. A fan from the audience maybe but they also aren’t allowed that kind of access and the fans are his $$$. So you put two and two together.

33. Freda says:

I might have sympathized, but READ THE MEMO! Do you really think Harvey was being “ambushed” by staff that much? And for what? Were they all giving him their demo tapes or trying out jokes on him? If do, who was setting up the lights, getting his food, doing security checks, rangling guests? It takes a lot of work yo run a talk show. I doubt the there were many people hassling him.
    Best guess, Harvey is over dramatic and diva-ish OR Harvey struck up a relationship with 1or 2 people on a staff of MANY and he doesn’t have the balls yo address them directly- so he hurls a frustrated memo at EVERYONE.

34. Likeucare says:

All you ladies defending Steve Harvey need to read what he has said and written about you. Oh wait, you already bought his book and watch his shows daily? Maybe he is right about you.

• Freda says:

All you WOMEN defending Harvey? I guess he was right about you (women)?
      What is your major malfunction?!!!

35. Mary says:

He really should try to get over himself. Biggest bore on television.

36. Gail A Piersol says:

I don’t see a thing wrong with what Steve Harvey did. The employees that were abusing their relationship with him know who they are & should not have had to be told to give him the same respect as they would want. Sometimes you have to be very blunt & clear to get ignorant self centered people to back off. There are always people who want special treatment & personal favors from people in the limelight, but there is no excuse for them being rude, pushy, or inconsiderate.-Set them straight Steve!
    Also, I’m sure there are many, many employees that enjoy a very good & respectful relationship with Mr Harvey & they know these comments were not about them-(They probably never acted this way in the first place)-so the media needs to get over it-there is nothing “over the top” about it.-what’s “over the top” is the way some people have no regard for anyone but themselves.

• Alec says:

You don’t see what’s wrong? Did you read that memo? Networks are corporate and subject to employment law. In this day and age you can’t speak to people that way and he was foolish enough
      to put it in writing. He’s just lucky he didn’t actually name anyone but if anyone on set comes forward with a previous problem with him and this is retaliatory then shame on him 😳 and he’ll be caught in the lie 🤥

• Freda says:

No Gail. All CAPS rants to your WHOLE staff over the behavior of what couldn’t be more than a few (consider access to the star and how much work is involved in talk shows) is NOT PROFESSIONAL!
      If Steve is in the make up chair getting ready for the show, do you think staff has free time to harass him? NO. Harvey is exaggerating. He should have stepped back then addressed the individual incidents with the INDIVIDUALS involved. Now he’s alienated the whole staff…..who were too busy doing their jobs to want to take to him while he gets his mustache waxed.

• Jodi C. says:

Reminds me of the demands Mariah Carey used to have for her dressing room.

• Freda says:

Nope. Mariah didn’t do that to her own staff. She had lists of rules and food demands for the VENUES she visited. Those people are strangers she may not ever see again.
        Her dancers and back up singers are notoriously too involved in her life.

37. Tracy says:

What Steve Harvey is experiencing is what normally happens in workplaces across the country who have leaders that fail to establish professional norms with their staff. Unfortunately, Harvey’s distasteful, unprofessional and, quite frankly, immature response is a result of behavior that he has been allowing. Hopefully he will realize how his lack of leadership contributed to the problem and improve his own professional practice.

38. Mike says:

Steve Harvey is such an unfunny talent-less ass-hat. He made a career riding the coat tails of funnier people. He was the MC of kings of comedy, not one of the kings of comedy, only an MC. He is what becomes popular after all the talented people, like bernie mac die. He is the tony bennett of comedy. When Deano and Frank die he is the last crooner left, and by default the most popular. His popularity comes from longevity and not talent. He is essentially a prop comic with those giant fucking donkey teeth and mustache are his prop. He basically just says a bunch of unfunny stupid shit and makes a stupid face exposing those giant teeth in a wide stupid toothy grin and people laugh.

39. Tracy Green says:

The memo is professional and addresses multiple problems with tv crew and staff, which need to follow professional protocol. Appointments are necessary for every business. The tv crew and staff need to be professional at all times. The memo should have went out day one of Mr. Harvey’s day on the new job. Bravo, Mr. Harvey, still clapping. I applaud your memo. I am in the legal field my entire career, no attorney see anyone without an appointment and professionalism is required. His tv crew and staff just needs to be trained in these areas. After all, this is a business and tv crew and staff must act and react accordingly with professionalism, tact and respect for themselves and Mr. Harvey.

• Maya Guez says:

It is NOT. The memos content might legitimate to a professional environment but the delivery is not. I have never seen corporate issue memos with sentences in CAPITALS and things like:”expect to be removed” “I hate beeing ambushed” “If you reading this yes I mean you”… a memo outlining “All interaction with Steve Harvey will now require an appointment, unsolicited or unscheduled contact attempts would be denied. Please note dressing room now has a “Do Not Disturb” policy and is off limits to crew and staff. Please contact Mr Harvey Personal assistant with any inquiries or appointment requests”.

40. J. Harris says:

Steve Harvey has a beautiful wife, and I’m more than sure she doesn’t want his staff, (women) in and out of his dressing room I can understand this perfectly. As for Steve, who want to be walking down the halls and you approach him, make an appointment. I see nothing wrong with this request. Still mad at your Steve, for your talks with Trump of all people.

• Tony says:

exactly. The memo was disrespectful and unprofessional. he could have communicated his perfectly reasonable requests in a more appropriate way

41. Patricia `Hathaway says:

I see nothing wrong with the memo. Apparently, his staff has taken advantage of his lenient policy to the point where guidelines are needed. Everyone needs and should have quiet time to reflect on the task at hand. They can make an appointment to meet with him and then he can given them his undivided attention. Kudos to Steve Harvey!

42. Well…this is what I have to say about that…Harry Connick Jr. would have NEVER treated his people like that!!!! Steve Harvey, I am no longer a fan.

43. Sheryll Murray says:

#TEAMSTEVEHARVEY

44. Sheryll Murray says:

He sounds like a Man that was Backstabbed in the past by being Lenient : Anyone on here if in that position and felt they were being taken advantage of would react the same way or worse: He has his reasons:

45. SANDRA Robinson says:

Great love that cause u got alife to and ppl (we) should RESPECT THAT .and crazy as ppl r these days who knows what they want to do say r do to u.i say I’m glad u did the letter.great business #TEAM STEVE HARVEY.

46. Peter Grantham says:

Sounds like everyone who’s responding to his memo negatively is making knee-jerk reactions. His memo is completely reasonable. Every job i’ve worked at, the boss has always made the rules on the exact same lines. There’s nothing shocking about it, he’s just setting clear boundaries so he can have personal space. That’s a healthy mentality. As he notes, his time has been taken advantage of in the past so this memo is just specifying those boundaries in response to that. Other people taking up your time 24/7 is absolutely exhausting, especially when it’s unsolicited. You can’t be creative in an environment like that. And if Steve was being unreasonable, he wouldn’t say “make an appointment” in the memo either.

Stop acting like snowflakes. LA is a hectic environment, much worse than the mid-west. People are just different there. Show business is extremely hectic too. But he has to work where the work takes him. And he has to balance this all with raising a family and still be relatively sane. It has nothing to do with “having money” or fame. Give the guy a break.

47. Angela says:

If you recall, Steve had an author on his show for the book that taught people how to eliminate activity that took times away from any essential things that he must do. Effective times management etc. He gave a copy to the audience.

It’s amazing how people can take a good thing and twist into something negative. Be kind to one another. Love, peace, kindness, and respect to all.

Angela

48. LW says:

Oh My Gracious, how things change when we have Money!
    What a pompous letter.
    I have NEVER been a FAN!
    He braggs too much about how big his bank account is.
    Hope I am around when he is broke, and will want someone to approach him.
    Now one more time, how much does your little Margerie pay for shoes?
    Totally sickening, despise Rich Folks.

49. Enough is enough; don’t blame you; will still watch your show. Whoever was “offended”, get over it. Can’t make everyone happy at the same time. <3 It's your life, don't let others "run" over you.

50. Holly says:

Sure, I think Steve could’ve went about this a little bit differently – could have had a laid back staff meeting and still got his point across….or could’ve made a point in the letter about how much he appreciates and cares about all of them – things along those lines. He could’ve had a paragraphing building them up or telling them what a great job they do…etc. Could have let them know this is nothing “personal” against them….but he just needs “personal” time to stay on track and to be at his best for viewers. With that said, his request for privacy alone isn’t a big deal and shouldn’t be a leading news’ story. I’ve noticed the media really likes to tear him down and paint an ugly picture of him. I believe Steve is one of the most genuine individuals in the entertainment business. Sometimes words just don’t come out well. Many people struggle with this. I guess that’s how I became a publicist in Nashville. The power of wording is huge…and unfortunately Steve is finding that out right now. He’s probably just tired and feels overwhelmed. I remember what he was put through after announcing the wrong pageant winner. He was grilled to a point where many would lose their marbles. He’s probably just trying to stay sane at this point. I’m sure in his position, we’d all want some privacy after bit. Again, I just think he should’ve gone about it a little differently. I still love Steve! Take it easy on him, folks.

• Mary says:

I wasn’t offended one iota. I just thought his memo was stupid and arrogant. I am surprised he apparently doesn’t realize the importance of a devoted staff. Did the “memo” have to go public?. Wouldn’t a short staff meeting face-to-face with staffers been more appropriate. That’s the way big boys do it.