‘Sherlock’ Team Reuniting for New ‘Dracula’ Series (EXCLUSIVE)

'Sherlock' Team Reuniting for New 'Dracula'
Courtesy of the BBC

“Dracula” is getting the “Sherlock” treatment, with the writers and producers of the hit BBC detective series reuniting for a new take on the Bram Stoker vampire classic. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat will write the series, and Sue Vertue’s Hartswood Films will produce.

Work on the new series has yet to begin in earnest, as Gatiss and Moffat are currently working on solo projects. But talks are already underway with the BBC – which enjoyed huge success with “Sherlock” – on broadcast rights in the U.K.

“Dracula” will adopt the same format as “Sherlock,” with a miniseries run of feature-length episodes.

“Sherlock” propelled Benedict Cumberbatch to international stardom for his portrayal of Holmes. With scripts not yet written, casting for “Dracula” is some way off.

Alongside British producer Hartswood, U.S. and other international partners are expected to board the new project. BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, sells “Sherlock” internationally, and it has been one of the distributor’s biggest titles in recent years.

“Dracula” will be the first collaboration between Moffat and Gatiss since the last “Sherlock” episode aired in Britain in January. They have said there are no current plans for a new series of “Sherlock,” but have not ruled out returning to write more episodes in the future.

Moffat wrote and executive produced six seasons of the BBC’s “Doctor Who” before stepping down from the sci-fi series. Gatiss is an actor as well as a screenwriter, starring in “Game of Thrones” and numerous British series including “Sherlock” itself, in which he played Mycroft, Holmes’ brother. He has spoken in the past of his love of classic horror films, particularly the 1958 version of “Dracula” starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

It is not yet clear whether, like “Sherlock,” “Dracula” will have a modern-day British setting. Stoker’s 1897 novel has the titular count attempt to move from Transylvania to England in his search for new blood.

The new “Dracula” won’t be the first attempt in recent years to adapt the Gothic horror story for TV. London-based Carnival, producers of “Downton Abbey,” made “Dracula” for NBC in 2013. The show ran for only one season.

1. elliotjames2 says:

Please, no more. Keep him down for the Count.

2. Matt says:

I think I have to agree with the negative reaction to this news. Sherlock was kinda all over the place regarding quality, and besides the horrible ending to the final season, could something like this be done better than Penny Dreadful was?

3. Kelly says:

The storyline of Sherlock’s season 4 was extremely disappointing and unimaginative in my opinion. Leave the vampires to Rice and Rice coming soon to a Netflix/Hulu/pay channel near you.

4. Why don’t they do an adaptation of Kim Newman’s ” Anno Dracula ” series instead of crucifying the original ( or should I say putting a stake through its heart ) with some tenuous “modernisation” . With Sherlock at least they had lots of separate stories that could stand ( or fall ) on their own merits . Modernising Dracula is not a new idea and has never ended well ( see Blackula , Dracula AD 1972 and Love At First Bite for more details ) – although I quite liked the last one

5. Marlitt Arnouville says:

I loved the hammer vampire flicks and wish them the best, but I would like to see more Anne rice adaptions, I read universal bought the rights and now with the mummy disaster, who knows now of the future of these projects.⚰️

6. Potatolover says:

Season 4 of Sherlock was not as good as 1-3, but I thought it was still enjoyable. It was a lot better when I rewatched it. Doctor Who has had some less than spectacular, but again, still enjoyable, seasons under Moffat (still better than all his predecessor’s stuff though imo). All this proves is that Moffat is better when he’s just starting out and brimming with ideas. So…I’m not completely sure why people think him starting a new project is the end of the world. If you don’t think it’ll be good, just don’t watch it. Boom. Problem solved.

7. Maria says:

Cast Peter Capaldi as Van Helsing and Jenna Coleman as Mina Harker. Capaldi said he’d love to work with Jenna again. ;)

8. Elizabeth says:

As a Hammer movie fan (as well as of Messrs. Cushing and Lee), who got into the Gothic genre watching the television series “Dark Shadows,” I think the Dracula character has run its course. How many adaptations have there been on TV as well as film, including by DS’s creator? There was only one (albeit long) book, as opposed to all the “Sherlock” material, so for how many episodes would this miniseries run? Additionally, I don’t believe that Messrs. Freeman and Cumberbatch should be involved, the latter’s voice notwithstanding — too competitive with Sir Christopher’s. By the way, I liked Season 4 of “Sherlock,” so there!

• Maria says:

They aren’t doing it Hammer Horror style.

• Elizabeth says:

I didn’t say or think they were … although, as the article states, Mark Gatiss loves classic horror films, especially the 1958 version, which was a Hammer production. (Perhaps classic films in general, as evidenced by the film-noir clip made for “Sherlock: The Final Problem.”) Additionally, both Hammer and the “Sherlock” production team had successful (I thought) takes on “The Hound of the Baskervilles,” so this “Dracula” may still be interesting (?).

• Charlie Brewster says:

I’m also a huge Hammer movies and Sirs Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing fan (they got me into the Gothic genre 32 years ago when I was 12 and I still can’t get enough of it), but I have to disagree with you: I don’t believe the Dracula character has run it’s course, the allure of the character and the several versions of the novel planed for the next few years are proof of that. Also I’m still waiting for a faithfull version of Bram Stoker’s novel – sure, there have been amazing movies made based on the character, the Hammer series with Sir Christopher first amongst them all, but never a faithfull adaptation depicting Dracula as he should be depicted. So, untill that happens, I hope they keep making Dracula movies, there can never be too many.

• Elizabeth says:

Haven’t heard about any planned future versions. Really? Perhaps there have been too many vampire movies and TV shows in general the last several years — and now, everybody has moved on to zombies (not my thing). True, no previous production has ever been completely faithful to the book, but that could be said about nearly every adaptation of any novel, not even “Gone With the Wind.” Another example could be the 1952 and 2017 editions of “My Cousin Rachel.” The list is endless.

9. tonyking1 says:

CAST ME I AM THE ORIGINAL DRACULA

10. I don’t trust Moffat and Gatiss anymore. They also said they loved Sherlock Holmes and yet the last series was horrible. Now they want to taint Bram Stoker’s creation? Thanks, but no thanks.

11. kete says:

Why don’t you give it a break, Mofftiss? We really don’t need you ruining another classic for at least the next ten years.

12. Rylian says:

Moffat, you left Dr. Who and Sherlock! for Dracula? Really? You are a great writer, but Dracula has had its day. This news is disappointing.

13. Gregory Brown says:

Please post Cumberbatch as Dracula and Martin Freeman as Van Helsing

• Tracy says:

Lol… exactly what I was thinking! Just imagine that voice if Cumberbatch portrayed Dracula… As for Freeman, I could see him as Jonathan Harker or possibly Arthur Holmwood too… Excited to see what Moffat and Gatiss could do with a story like Dracula, though i certainly hope they would choose to keep it in the Victorian era…

14. Srini says:

Sherlock was awesome. Not sure other bullshit will have any viewership.

15. CJB says:

Wonder how long it will take Gatiss to screw up this one?

16. Amanda Pike says:

Dare I get my hopes up or will this be like NBC’s God-awful Dracual where he has none of his shapeshifting abilities and constantly whines with a bad fake Southern American accent?

17. Anne Robins says:

poor darlings are upset because the showrunner of two hugely successful tv shows is making a new one
    what a scary world we live in.

18. Emma says:

MOFFAT?
    NO! GOD! NO GOD PLEASE, NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

19. Steve says:

‘“Dracula” will be the first collaboration between Moffat and Gatiss since the last “Sherlock” episode aired in Britain in January.’ —- You must mean their first collaboration since last week’s episode of “Doctor Who” (‘Empress of Mars’) which was written by Gatiss and executive produced by Moffat. Steven Moffat is not quite gone from “Doctor Who” yet.

20. Jason says: