‘Shadowhunters’ Renewed for Season 3 at Freeform

SHADOWHUNTERS Freeform
Courtesy of Freeform

Shadowhunters” has been renewed for Season 3 ahead of the return of Season 2 on June 5.

The cast of the Freeform series announced the renewal during a Facebook Live Q&A on Friday as part of the network’s upfronts presentation. They will return for a 20-episode third season in 2018.

Inspired by “The Mortal Instruments” series by Cassandra Clare, “Shadowhunters” is produced by Constantin Film and executive produced by Todd Slavkin, Darren Swimmer, McG, Michael Reisz, Matt Hastings, Mary Viola, Martin Moszkowicz, and Robert Kulzer. It stars Katherine McNamara as Clary Fray, Dominic Sherwood as Jace Wayland, Alberto Rosende as Simon Lewis, Emeraude Toubia as Isabelle Lightwood, Matthew Daddario as Alec Lightwood, Isaiah Mustafa as Luke Garroway, and Harry Shum Jr. as Magnus Bane.

The second half of Season 2 will pick up with the Shadowhunters and Downworlders reeling from what happened at the New York Institute in the winter finale. As the rift between the two sides grows larger, the team and their Downworld friends and lovers are put in the middle of the divide.

Back in January, Freeform announced that “Game of Thrones” and “Humans” alum Will Tudor will join the series as Sebastian, a new Shadowhunter. Sebastian joins the New York Institute from a foreign Institute after he befriends one of the show’s main characters. Sebastian is described as charming, brilliant, and profoundly educated, making him and his unrivaled fighting abilities a real boon to the existing Shadowhunter team.

The series has performed well for the network, with Season 2 thus far averaging a 0.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 700,000 viewers per episode, making it one of the network’s highest rated originals.

1. Lisa Ann says:

Love the series and storyline. Helps me relive the books story, albeit a lil different way. One of the highlights of my week.

2. Donnie says:

Good series and excellent books I would like to have seen the show and movie run more closely to the books but that is a bias of mine but the series is still good and I enjoy watching it.

3. Renee says:

Fav show ever

4. Doreen says:

I love this show just keep it coming i wish i could watch it all year round, love love love it!!!!

5. Rebecca Wilson says:

I really hope in Season 3 Jordan will be added to the show.. I loved the books, and have accepted some of the changes in the show due to the actors doing an excellent job portraying the characters … However, I would change my mind if they do not incorporate the Mark Simon gets soon (in the next book following the Raziel scene). They show Lilith in the ending of season 2 so it shows promise, but I’m confused with the scene shown between Simon and the Queen. I can accept some twists and changes in the show as it does state it won’t follow the books to a tee; but certain major storylines I hope they continue to follow…

6. Donna M says:

I love this show! I’ve read the books and love this adaptation. I wasn’t thrilled at first with the differences, but now I’m hooked. The characters are much more relatable than I’d thought they’d be. Can’t wait for the 3rd season to start and see what happens to everyone! 2018 seems so far away!

7. Passion Jamison says:

I know I remember seeing them in vampire academy as a young age

8. Sky says:

I’m so glad that my new show obsession is renewed for another season I can’t wait to see them again in season 3
    Can’t wait to see Sebastian in season 3 o wonder what he’s gonna do!?
    Go #shadowhunters
    #shadowhuntersseason3

9. Lisa Ann says:

Yay!!!!!! So thrilled. Also love the cast and series. Super big mortal instruments fan. Please keep it running. I look forward to each week.

10. Clace says:

Looking forward to the rest of the second season and am thrilled it was renewed for a third season :D Love the show. Love the characters.

11. Lisa Ann says:

I’m so happy Shadowhunters is renewed in 2018. I have something to look forward to. I’m hooked. Read all of the books.