‘Scream Queens’ Season 3? Fox Execs Give an Update

Scream Queens Season 3
Michael Becker/Fox

Will there be a third season of “Scream Queens?”

Following a sophomore season of declining overnight ratings, TV journalists asked Fox executives about the future status of “Scream Queens” at the Television Critics Association press tour.

Speaking to reporters, including Variety, at the Wednesday event in Pasadena, Calif., Fox’s Gary Newman and David Madden gave a slight update on the horror comedy anthology series. Though they didn’t say whether or not “Scream Queens” would be back for a third season, the execs did tell press members that they are happy with the show and its young demo.

“It’s very much still in consideration for a renewal,” Madden told Variety and a small group of reporters. “The ratings don’t tell the whole story; because it’s such a young audience, you can’t really even see the full picture even in L+3.”

Earlier in the morning at TCA, the execs similarly announced that they have not yet made any decisions on renewals for “Pitch” or “The Exorcist.”

Speaking to the small cluster of reporters, Newman added: “Like ‘Pitch’ and ‘The Exorcist,’ we’re not going to make any decisions until later this year. Obviously, we would have loved to have seen it do bigger numbers. The delayed viewing is there. It reaches a hard-to-reach younger audience, which we like, but we’re just going to have to see what our needs are when we get closer to May.”

In its first season, “Scream Queens” was set in the college Greek system with the main characters being sorority girls. The second season, which wrapped last month, was set in a hospital and the medical setting was an effort to expand the bubblegum show’s audience to a larger pool of viewers, both male and female. The final episode closed out with 1.38 million viewers overnight and a 0.5 rating in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic.

Ryan Murphy’s strong relationship with Fox could give “Scream Queens” an edge to land a third season. The mega-producer is also behind the studio’s “American Horror Story,” the critically-acclaimed “American Crime Story” and the hotly anticipated anthology “Feud,” all at FX.

“Scream Queens” stars Jamie Lee Curtis, Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, Abigail Breslin, Keke Palmer, Billie Lourd, Glen Powell and Niecy Nash. New to Season 2 were John Stamos, Taylor Lautner, James Earl and Kirstie Alley.

1. michele says:

pleaseeeeee bring scream queens back!!!!!!

2. Lynn says:

Scream Queens and American Horror Story RULES!!! Bring on another series… PLEASE!!! Btw I’m a 53 year old female, so these series cover quite a wide range.

3. Matt says:

All the Chanel’s are awesome but Chanel #3 is my favorite! #ThoseEarmuffs that’s not a perverted hash just watch the show so you know whatsup. My brother and I (yeah both guys. 19 & 26) both watch like 2 episodes every night on Hulu. tbh if this show dies we might not know what to do afterwards. Maybe start eating bagels idk. We’ve started naming the neighborhood cats after the shows’s characters. I don’t know I used to think Fox sucked but after Scream Queens and Brooklyn Nine-Nine they’re on the radar again.

4. Kaylani says:

My Boyfriend and I both 22 love this show. And especially the way you left off season two there has to be a season three. Does Chanel get attacked? Does her blonde moments, greed, and pettiness help
    Save her for the umptenth time? Does number 5 ever find love? I live the comical horror aspect of the
    Show and

5. Saundra says:

I love Scream Queens (over age 60, well out of the demographic) as does my 26 year old son and 36 year old daughter. You really have to WATCH it though, not multi-task, or you’ll miss all the clever innuendos and references to what’s currently in the news and on social media that make it unique and pretty hilarious. The only other sitcoms I watch faithfully are Big Bang and the Goldbergs because all the rest are predictable and boring…SQ is never predictable! I think one problem with the ratings is the show is constantly replaced by “specials”…sports, the debates, etc…so one can never tell if it’s actually going to be on.

6. RYAN RUSHES WITH CREATIVES ON SQ SEASON 2 SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN A CURE INSTITUTE DORM AND SORORITY WITH THAT SEASON COULD HAVE NEEDED TO BE A PART TWO HOUR FULL SEASON LONG AIR TIME MORE STARS WELLING TO WORK WITH RYAN AND IAN

7. zarina says:

I really hope you renewal scream queens for season 3

8. Autumn says:

This show is really good and it needs a renewal. If you aren’t interested in comedy and horror combined together then this show clearly isn’t for you. But it’s really entertaining and it reaches out to the young people. I like the exorcist and pitch, I wish they could keep them all but I know one is going and I really hope it’s not Scream Queens

9. If it gets renewed for a third season I´d be really annoyed because shows like “The New Normal” (which are actually way better than this crap that some people dare to call “show”) didn’t even got the chance to do more than one season but “Scream Queens” is about to be renewed for a third? I just don’t get it. It seems like junk stays but the good stuff doesn’t.

10. Caligula says:

Cancelled. Murph was only promised two seasons and ratings were never good for either

11. balletbunny says:

i wish that scream queens would
    come back on

12. ) and she’ll actually appreciate and thank you because of it instead of losing interest.
    A loving parent should recognize that teenage dating is completely normal.
    When breakups happen, you have to be capable of take control
    of your mind and grow positive every one of the time.

13. alison says:

they should make a better new big season….but dont give up on like devious maids

14. alison says:

LOVE THIS SHOW! what it to come back for more season-s because other crime shows are just useless and not for teens

• Matt says:

Yeah no kidding. Whenever CSI or Cold Case comes up I know it’s either A) time to take a nap or B) do my homework

15. Anthony says:

I am 52, and I am hooked on the Show. I started watching in Season 2. I really hope it gets a third Season.
    Scream Queens is Funny, and Creative with a great Cast.

16. Why not just move the show to FX or FXX? They’re still owned by FOX and the numbers are more appropriate for cable TV anyway. This way the fans still get their show. It would be a draw for FXX.

17. Bill says:

What this really means is, “We are beholden to our friends at CAA and want to keep stuffing their pockets with big deals for Ryan Murphy, so we keep giving him airspace for his garbage shows.”

18. cadavra says:

Classy response, God. No wonder so many people are leaving the church.