Scott Baio Clarifies Erin Moran Comments, Says ‘Drug’ Quote Was Misreported

Erin Moran Scott Baio
ABC-TV/REX/Shutterstock

Scott Baio is clarifying comments he made regarding the death of his former “Happy Days” costar, Erin Moran.

Moran died on Saturday. Baio appeared on “The Bernie & Sid” show Monday morning, saying he was “not completely shocked” by the news of her passing.

“I’m OK, a little shocked but not completely shocked that this happened,” he said on the show. “My thing is, I feel bad because her whole life, she was troubled, could never find what made her happy and content. For me, you do drugs or drink, you’re gonna die. I’m sorry if that’s cold, but God gave you a brain, gave you the will to live and thrive and you gotta take care of yourself.”

Late Monday evening, Baio clarified those comments on his Facebook account, saying that at the time of the radio interview he didn’t know that Moran’s cause of death was due to stage IV cancer.

In a post titled “Here are the facts,” Baio blasted the media on their reporting. He wrote:

“Monday, April 24th at 6 a.m. Pacific time I did a live radio interview. I was asked ONLY about Erin’s troubled past due to drug & alcohol abuse. I was still upset and said I felt that living that kind of a lifestyle will catch up with you and nothing good would come of it. THIS WAS BEFORE THE CAUSE OF DEATH WAS ANNOUNCED STATING STAGE 4 CANCER.

Now it seems every news outlet & tabloid wants to paint a different picture of me and of what really happened. They’re stating that I’m saying drugs caused her to die after it was reported stage 4 cancer. This is so wrong! Now I truly understand the meaning of ‘Fake News’. This is crazy.”

Baio added that he was still emotional.

“Please stop assuming the worse in me. I’m a compassionate person. I’m very heartbroken over her passing, especially since it was cancer. I don’t see people going after or attacking every network that said it was a drug overdose. I’ve openly stated my truths. I’m done.”

See the full post below:

On Tuesday morning, Baio shared a letter from Moran’s husband, Steve Fleischmann, detailing her final days.

According to the letter, Moran learned she had squamous cell carcinoma in December of last year, and her condition quickly deteriorated. By mid-February, she could no longer eat, drink or speak. On April 22, she passed away in her sleep at 56 years old.

1. Glenn Fields says:

This comment section reflects what’s wrong with Americans today.Many Amerian’s have it all figured out yet know nothing. You are all self absorbed and canonize the inane yet villanize all who don’t see things as you do. We are all imperfect humans, and I truly don’t believe Baio meant any disrespect as do any of you know that he did. Why has so much of this country turned so completely to the left that propaganda and special interest groups now rule the world in your eyes. Everyone is an expert on drug addiction yet admits no one knows the cure. Who is an expert? Doctors? They have yet to find the answer. Addicts? Yes they are victims but has anyone established of whom? Science has established one thing. They don’t know how much is genetic and how much is an environment. I have spent my life around addicts and alcoholics and while unable to fight it, claim they are the experts and actually in many cases carry a certain arrogance attached to victimhood, almost a badge. Baio was friends with Moran and none of you have any inside idea or evidence or anything to prove he meant anything deeper than what he said. The lying media did give every indication that it was due to her long history of drugs yet not one of you, snowflakes is a complement, vermin faults the media since they trumpet your cause. While many reasons may be involved in why one becomes an addict, one thing is true. Drugs do kill. is that insensitive? Did Moran have a drug problem? Obviously. if , per the media, he believed this, was he wrong to make this statement? Obviously this country is failing in its war on drugs and you are all a part of the condition. Dismissing it as a disease, and acquitting yourselves of guilt by not being proactive, by using pity instead. PITY SAVES NOONE. Kids every day experiment with drugs. Peer pressure has much to do with it as do enablers such as most of you. Once the event is started , is where the how to stop, why it started comes in. That’s when the battle starts. I’m sorry, no one is forced to start. Outside influences cause that. That’s when the genetics and environment and the science take effect. WHY CAN’T THE ENVIRONMENT BE PROACTIVE TO DISCOURAGE THE START? Your excuses are hallow. Drugs need to be made less attainable but that isn’t a priority, they come in daily through the fences in mexico which none of you want closed because you want open boarders. They come in through cargo ships which are obviously difficult to inspect, smuggled in dog carriers at airports. But none of you seem to find this of importance. Obviously its money that is the incentive of all this. Money and power, which the left loves. Well if the customer base crumbles, thistakes the incentive away. there is only one way for this to happen and it wont come from any of you, the phoney bleeding hearts, the brave victimized attacks, the money and power sucking left. It has to come from fear. the fear that drugs do kill. but this isn’t the message. the message is excuses from all of you. Until this country embraces morality, common sentence, reality over the non existent “political correctness” this will never happen. People need to fear drugs, they do kill. Scott Baio is correct despite all of your stupidity. You all cloak the fear with excuses. You are the cause. Look in the mirror. It is a sin how Erin Moran died. It’s also a sin how she suffered in life.

2. LeahNM says:

Scott has always been so full of himself. (At one time he claimed he was a sex symbol and you could just tell he thought of himself as something great.) Very self-absorbed! He couldn’t have thought of something more compassionate to say?

3. MMB says:

What is it with people? Not just this loser, but everyone? When somebody dies, think about their grieving loved ones and how they will feel your words. No matter HOW they died.

4. Andrea says:

His ship sailed off years ago, and none of the crew went looking for him. For a nobody, he can sure run his mouth on topics he obviously knows nothing about.

5. Vanessa says:

Scott is an idiot that’s why he does not get any work in Hollywood anymore he’s a has-been who made statements like that

6. Emily says:

Dude, people assume the worst about you because you say things like “I’m very heartbroken over her passing, especially since it was cancer.” As though you’d be less sad if she actually had died of an overdose. What a douche.

7. Dpamps says:

Scott you can spin your comment any way you like but Erin had more courage than you will ever have to fight her battle with cancer and not seek sympathy from the outside. Her husband is a true gentleman to stand by his wife till the end like he did, something you will never be able to do with your big mouth attitude.

8. BananasAndBlow says:

Even if she had died of a drug-related issue, that was one cold statement. Empathy is getting harder and harder to witness.

9. Rosie P. says:

Nobody but Erin’s husband and family was aware that Erin had cancer-she didn’t make it public. While Scott Baio may have made an incorrect assumption, he could only go by what he knew about her when they were together. Marion Ross (a.k.a, Mrs. Cunningham) stated she knew Erin had an addiction problem when Happy Days ended so it wasn’t far fetched to assume that was what she died from. Many child actors whose careers fizzled out have died that way (Dana Plato from Diff’rent Strokes and Anissa Jones from Family Affair) just to name a couple. They died too young, and out of the blue. It is easy to sit and judge Mr. Baio for making that assumption but he’s apologized to Erin’s husband and her family. He knows he made a mistake, I don’t think we need to publicly tar and feather man for making a mistake-especially since he’s publicly apologized.

10. Amy Jordan says:

As a young girl, I idolized Scott Baio. Now that I’m a grown INFORMED ADULT, I see he is just a loud mouthed- has been BIGOT.

11. Ralph says:

He was not misquoted, he is a vile person & has no career to speak of

12. Whodatninja says:

It’s always a good time to hate Scott Baio. Except as Bob Loblaw, but let’s be honest…his contribution to that was probably pretty limited.

• Vanessa says:

you are just a big idiot as Scott you just don’t go around making comments like that and it’s no twister turned he said it he can’t clean it up he’s a no-talent actor that does not have any work anymore

13. Lisa says:

The question is: Why did none of the former cast not know Erin Moran had stage 4 cancer? I wonder if knowing she had their support, as she would have supported them, may have helped her overcome cancer.

14. patrick reidy says:

Don’t sweat it Scott. The primary function of the news media, regardless of their stated mission, is to sell advertising time or space. To do that, most of them are willing to sensationalize and over state anything. What you and I would understand as an innocent comment will be radicalized, quoted out of context, and misconstrued by an eager media and social media trolls just for the attention it garners.

• Vanessa says:

• Laura Von Stein says:

I’m not a social media troll. I’m just sick and tired of society perceiving addiction as a choice, when it is a disease.

15. Laura Von Stein says:

Does Scott Baio realize that addiction is a disease just like cancer is a disease? Perhaps, God didn’t give Scott Baio the brain he accused Erin Moran of not using.

• As a recovering addict and alcoholic who has lost many, many friends to addiction and narrowly escaped death himself…I have to partially disagree. In my personal experience…it is about 50% genetic predisposition and 50% enviromental. I made a choice to try these things out despite knowing that addiction runs in my family. I was informed and fancy myself at least moderately intelligent(I’m super smart yo.) But still…I made the choice to tinker around in forbidden territory. And for a long time I had everything in check. It just took a single tragedy for me to cross the line into the hellish nightmare world of addiction. I gambled and lost. Though…most people are not as informed, nor are they quite as moderately intelligent(ULTRA GENIUS) as I. So the ratio changes. You don’t always get to choose your enviroment or social circle. But there always is that intial choice. Saying though that the entire process is a choice is saying that these people can predict the future…which is literally what you are saying. I’m sure you disagree…but you have no idea how the entire process works. There are thousands if not 10’s of thousands of books and websites about this subject…and none of them quite capture exactly what the process of substance addiction is. Only moderately smart people who have been through it truely know. That being said….Fuck Scott. He is a SJW and an asshole. He probably had not been in contact with her for over a decade and was just running his bitch mouth. If he is a real man, he should intentionally get addicted to suboxone…which is prescribed to help with addiction…and then stop taking it and realize how much of an asshole he really is. Withdraw is insane. Imagine the worst depression, the worst flu, and starving all at the same time. And for opiates…it last several weeks. It will eat away at you until you give in. Booze…much shorter time period…but much more intense. You also hallucinate and can actually die. Benzodiazphines…I hear that’s the worst…but fortunately, I didn’t like those so I have no experience. Crack/coke was out of my price range and meth is gross. Yuck! Don’t you just hate it when someone sells you some ‘coke’ and you snort it and it burns like nasal lava and you’re like…hey, this is meth asshole! That is drug life. I have been clean for 8.65 years. What saved me was the birth of my first child. I am an incredibly empathetic human being and I could not let my son grow up without a father. I now have 3 boys and a great job…as well as a good relationship with my wife of 10 years. Without my kid, supportive parents, and a loving wife…I would be worm food right now. But the intial choice was mine. 50/50. I hope this comment has been informative and entertaining.

• Laura Von Stein says:

You might also consider taking a peek at your grandiosity schema. Grandiose thinking leads to drinking, and you seem to think quite highly of yourself, squid who refuses to write their real name.

• Laura Von Stein says:

I am in recovery, too. No one need a lesson in what drugs do. Go to a meeting or call your sponsor.

• Further more…..I just want to point out I’m an extreme exception. When I first started my path to ‘recovery’ I intially went to a rehab facility…which most junkies can’t afford(thank you mom and dad) and then went to AA and NA meetings. What I learned from those is most people who get addicted are fucked. I am super lucky. I have well to do parents…but not parents that are enablers. My wife and child also gave me the will to exist. That combo is the key to breaking the chain…along with my strong will power. Strong will power alone would have probably ended with a bullet to the brain before the booze and drugs got me. People on the outside of this thing just have no idea. Imagine if you had a bacterial disease that caused you to catch on fire if you didn’t eat a banana every day. That is the sense of emergency you get. And it is further compounded over time. I was actually in school to be an addictions therapist…when I saw through NA and AA meetings what the failure rate really was. Overall…I would say 97%. I relapsed about 7 times on the booze. 0 on opiates because I had prescribed suboxone…but that’s another horror story. I think addicts need it..just they are prescibing it the wrong way. Big pharma…yada yada yada. Anyways…my point…if you have not been addicted to drugs and/alcohol…you have no right to comment…except as someone who has had an addict or alcoholic in there life. You know your pain…but not ours. Side note…it took my wife to stand up and outcast me to rehab and the. stay with my parents for 2 months afterwards to get my shit together. Empathy was the last thing I personally needed. That is all. Latez yo.

16. cdhaskell says:

I hope that Scott Baio learns to think before opening his mouth. He should learn how she died before making his speech.

17. I’m sorry you are so pained by the backlash, but it seems that that is what happens when you speak without thought. If you can’t be respectful, at least be gracious.

18. heyitsron says:

So let’s pile on Scott (some of whom can’t even spell his last name correctly) over what he said over an old drunk who got what you get from that stuff. Must be a lot of drinkers commenting on here. Who will get the same fate. As Erin. Irish or not. Irish name or not. Yes, there’s a reason that stuff burns going down.

19. heyitsron says:

Well? What’s there to apologize for? Someone trying to put the blame on Scott? For speaking the truth? Alcohol is highly carcinogenic. It will give you cancer and you will die from it. Now about that multi-billion dollar a year industry thing…..the one that doesn’t want you to read this. With your money? And your health?

20. Starr says:

He’s heartbroken over her death “especially since it’s from cancer??” So if she had overdosed, he wouldn’t be heartbroken? What a POS. His “clarification” is worse than the original.

21. o.w.sanchez says:

Now I can truly see why you supported trump,like trump you are quick to jump to conclutions and very judemental and got it all figured out. AS TRUMP WOULD SAY……….WRONG ………………….and your a slang for richard!

22. He does not want us to think the worst of him but he could think the worst of her and that’s OK. If he was really upset he would have just said how terrible the loss and he wish’s she rest in peace. He meant to be derogatory to her but when we are to him, oh no that’s just not right!

23. Michael Anthony says:

All other costars mourned her loss and left it at that. Instead, he digs in for dirt and that makes him mad because he looks like the bad boy. Well, he is. It’s a different story of weeks from now they said drugs did it, but to insinuate, when you know nothing, is just plan wrong. He’ll do anything for press.

24. Charlie says:

Whether you do drugs, drink or don’t do drugs and don’t drink – you will die. If you run 5 miles a day and go to church every Sunday – you will die. Is that literal enough for you, Scotty?

25. Mueller says:

Too late Mr Baio. You revealed the true person you really are regardless of when you found out when Erin Moran died.

26. Anne Dunham says:

Shame on you, Scott Bail.

• Spaceflightengineer says:

Anne Dunham,
      DID you even BOTHER TO READ WHAT HE WROTE??? Shame on you for being such an abject nitwit.

27. Lori says:

How is it fake news when the press is quoting him directly? He’s an idiot.

Lots of angry snowflakes? Oh, please.

28. mike jones says:

Scott Baio just doesn’t know when to keep quiet. He has no morals or soul. He looks at Moran’s passing as away back in to the public eye. He could careless what he says. No matter if he’s wrong he blames people for hating his politics which isn’t the case.

29. SMH says:

Scott Baio’s lack of compassion is apparent in his statement in his “clarification”: “I’m very heartbroken over her passing, especially since it was cancer.” Would you be less heartbroken if she did die of drug addiction, which by the way is a disease?

30. dollface says:

Lots of angry snowflakes out today.

• BatRastardson says:

Anyone who uses the term “snowflake” to denigrate anyone is a fucking low-info moron.

• dollface says:

Why so triggered? Scott Baio is a B list has been, at best. Everyone gets their own karma. PS. Those with uncouth and foul words display their own lack of sophistication and wit.

31. dollface says:

Very nice statement to clear things up. I understand how the media can blast salacious headlines for click bait (and then people don’t read the article).

32. nycityny says:

Interesting how clueless Baio is as to the reason people blasted him. It’s not because he said she died of drugs. It’s that he said that if you use drugs you die, showing little empathy for his “friend” in the moment. It’s his heartlessness that came through, and even more so with his “apology.” Blasting the media for his insensitivity is pretty rich.

33. Rob Griffin says:

Go to hell, Scott Baio! You degenerative piece of crap. By the way, you were always a hack as an actor. You wuss . . .

34. Miguel says:

Winkler is the same kind of asshole! Read his comment. What a jerk!

35. WhoDiedAndMadeYouJudge says:

What a horrible human being. Whether she died because she lost her battle with addiction or because he lost her battle with cancer, who is he to judge her??

36. lidnab says:

Scott, you were definite. Drink or do drugs and you will die. This was cold just like you said…but then you feel guilty because it was stage 4 cancer and enough people made you feel guilty that you try to make yourself feel better. Sorry. Wrong. It didn’t. (And then ending with Fake news? I’m done.) HA! That IS the truth. You are done.

37. …if he really cared for her….how she died would not be as important as being respectful when she passed. What a creep.
    RJ O’Guillory

38. SY says:

I think the clarification needs a clarification.

39. See Me - Feel Me says:

Stop trumpeting the words of your master Scott. She died you and you went there. You could have waited for more information. You have a brain use it and take some responsibility unlike your master, Donnie.

40. Sir Winston says:

Planet Earth to Spaceman Scott. . . . Sit on it !!!

• Jen says:

Scott Baio is an ass for judging anyone……super disappointed in him for judging when his life was not so perfect neither…….