Ryan Seacrest’s ‘Live With Kelly’ Debut Lifts Series in Monday Ratings

Kelly Ripa Ryan Seacrest Live with
Courtesy of ABC

Kelly Ripa’s announcement that Ryan Seacrest will be the new co-host of “Live with Kelly” on Monday lifted the syndicated daytime talk show to strong ratings.

According to Nielsen data, “Live with Kelly and Ryan,” as it will now be known, delivered a 3.1 household rating, the show’s best delivery in that measurement since its post-Oscar show in February. It also drew a 1.3 rating in women 25-54. The numbers were good enough to make the show the number one syndicated talk show on Monday in both measurements, topping “Dr. Phil” and “Ellen.”

Ripa and Seacrest announced the surprise choice at the start of Monday’s edition of the show, which Ripa has hosted since early 2001. Seacrest’s move into the seat next to Ripa comes nearly a year after Ripa’s former co-host, Michael Strahan, left the Disney-distributed show for an anchor slot on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

“Ryan is a quintessential broadcaster and at the top of his game,” said Ripa in a statement. “I am thrilled to start my mornings with him every day, and we are so fortunate at ‘Live’ to have him join the family. Ryan is a close friend and his star shines as brightly off camera as it does on. His tremendous success is only matched by his impeccable reputation. Plainly said, everyone loves him, and so will our daily viewers.”

“Live with Kelly and Ryan” is distributed in national syndication by Disney-ABC Home Entertainment and TV Distribution. The show is produced by WABC-TV in New York and executive produced by Michael Gelman, Ripa, and Seacrest.

1. Beatrice H Gomez says:

Kelly wrong choice your show is so boring. With Ryan he just doesn’t fit in. Sorry I won’t watch any more.

2. Denise says:

I love Ryan Seacrest on American Idol. But he’s not a good fit with Kelly.. I love Jerry Oconnel he Danced and was interesting.. Ryan looks uncomfortable.. I think he wants to keep his life a secret and so it makes him boring.. Sorry Ryan…

3. Marie l. Kelly says:

This is the most boring show EVER.
    Kelly dose nothing but talk about herself and her kids. Who cares about someone that we don’t know who they are. Lets get. Some interesting talks on here. Just to be clear I am not the only one that thinks this program stinks.

4. Gail Lee says:

Love love love Kelly and Ryan on live, great pairing

5. K says:

Dump kelly Ripa now

6. Teri says:

Disappointed!! Ryan is old news. I think we were all looking for someone new! Anderson would have been my first choice and Jerry my second. Sorry but Ryan would be my last choice.🙁

7. Vance says:

I enjoy watching Kelly Live to start my day, but adding Ryan is a turn off, so I decided to turn it off. Ryan is not the best co-host for the show and I hope you rethink the decision. Jerry would have been a better choice!
    Kelly is so sweet and starts the day with a smile, I will miss her.

8. Chris Henry says:

BORING ! What happened to
    Fred Savage ??

9. Caroline Marie Perry says:

Great choice with Ryan Seacrest!!! He is genuine, intelligent and classy. Once they find their groove they will ROCK this!

10. Connie says:

I’m sorry. He is so uninteresting. The show is now uninteresting

• Tony says:

I agree with Connie, this guy has “Loser” written all over him, what a drab uninteresting choice. I can’t believe it was Kelly’s choice….she’s not stupid, but someone is. I can barely watch the show…will try for a while but so far he nauseates our house and we’ve been fans of the show back to Regis’ days. What an ungodly mistake.

11. Why feature only a negative comment? Another site did the same thing. Nice send off…NOT!!! At least feature both sides not just one and this is now negative isn’t it. Good luck Ryan and Kelly …I think it was a great pick but that is just my humble opinion!!!

12. Deanna says:

This decision lost me as a viewer. Ryan Seacrest is dull and boring. He’s over exposed. I quit watching right after he walked out and I won’t be watching in the future. There were many better and more interesting options.

13. James Knauff says:

If Gelman was looking for a cohost who has no personality and offers no competition to Kelly, he struck gold. The only reason I will continue to have the show on in the morning is so as not to miss the opening of The View.

14. June Quercia says:

Kelly should be quiet and let the poor quest speak it is all about her. Be quiet KELLY

15. June Suerciq says:

Kelly should be quiet for a second n let the guest speak. No one can get a word in …. it is all about her. Be quiet KELLY

16. Maryanne Peters says:

I like Kelly and Ryan and think it will be a good fit. It is Thurs morning and I changed the channel to the Tiday show before work and felt I should communicate why. Kelly and Ryan are talking too much about themselves and talking to each other and not to the audience. Went to work and all of my coworkers felt the same way. Want to relate in a positive way so you are aware!
    Hope things change a sthis could be a good team!!

17. I like Ryan, but he looks somewhat uncomfortable in his new role.

18. Lisa Mothersead says:

Loyal viewer for 20 plus years and Ryan is a good choice. Just watch and see. They know what they’re doing at Live.

19. Lee Rogelstad says:

Why does this guy want to degrade this great proram in his first week. Get some shoes and socks on or stay home. Lee Rogelstad. Greenbrier, Ar

20. Kelly Emery says:

Seems so weird to me. This choice was so out of left field. Something strange going on that we’re not aware of…yet.

21. Ryan is milk toast compared with Kelly being spicey. He brings nothing to the show. Sorry he was chosen to cohost.

22. Robbyn Lewin says:

I’m so disappointed in the choice of Ryan Seacrest. Kelly is so spunky and fun and Ryan S is the complete opposite. No chemistry, won’t be fun anymore to watch. Jerry O’Connell was the perfect choice.

• I agree..I was rooting for Jerry :(

• An interesting choice that makes me wonder if politics were part of it. I like Ryan Seacrest fine, but liked a couple of others really well and would have liked to see more of them. Ryan Seacrest is so over-exposed and so far, not at witty and responsive. Kelly is working to pull him along; he seems a bit too matter of fact and not a great deal of fun the little bit I’ve seen him on air this week with Kelly.

23. Ahsoka says:

Can Ryan Seacrest really take second chair to Kelly Ripa? I would think Seacrest would be have his own show. I wish they would get Josh Groban to be co-chair because he has such charisma, and he is really talented.

But at the end of the day, I don’t really care because I do not watch the show.

24. Frank says:

Awwww. Ain’t they cute.
    My faves.

25. George Lewis says:

Blah. What a poor choice. Was a great show when Regis Philibin was there.