Ryan Seacrest Tapped as Kelly Ripa’s Permanent Co-Host on ‘Live’

Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest are
Courtesy of Disney/ABC Television

Kelly Ripa has settled on Ryan Seacrest as the new permanent co-host of her syndicated daily morning show, which as of today is renamed “Live with Kelly and Ryan.”

Ripa and Seacrest announced the surprise choice at the start of Monday’s edition of the show, which Ripa has hosted since early 2001. Seacrest’s move into the seat next to Ripa comes nearly a year after Ripa’s former co-host, Michael Strahan, left the Disney-distributed show for an anchor slot on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

“Ryan is a quintessential broadcaster and at the top of his game,” said Ripa in a statement. “I am thrilled to start my mornings with him every day, and we are so fortunate at ‘Live’ to have him join the family. Ryan is a close friend and his star shines as brightly off camera as it does on. His tremendous success is only matched by his impeccable reputation. Plainly said, everyone loves him, and so will our daily viewers.”

Related

Ryan Seacrest E! deal

Ryan Seacrest Extends ‘Live From the Red Carpet’ Deal With E!

The move gives Seacrest, the multi-hyphenate host and entrepreneur, another big media platform. He will relocate from Los Angeles to New York for the “Live” gig, but will continue to host his syndicated daily drive-time radio show for L.A.’s KIIS-FM and the weekly “American Top 40” radio program. The plan is to build a radio studio for Seacrest at WABC-TV New York, where “Live” originates.

“Not only is Kelly Ripa one of the most talented live hosts in broadcast TV; she’s also become a very dear friend to me over the years. It’s consistently been my privilege and pleasure to work alongside Kelly with all her incredible talents, charm and humor,” Seacrest said. “I’ve been so fortunate in my career to be a part of some incredible TV programs, and I’m excited to join daytime’s top entertainment talk show, and most important, I couldn’t think of anyone I’d rather share this new chapter with than Kelly Ripa – she’s a dream broadcast partner, and I can’t wait to start.”

Seacrest served as a co-host with Ripa a few times during the past year, when “Live” had a steady stream of guest hosts while she took her time in selecting a permanent partner. His most recent stint on the show came on Feb. 27 with “Live’s” annual post-Oscars edition. Seacrest will continue in his role as host and executive producer of E!’s “Live From the Red Carpet” franchise, as well as his annual hosting gig on ABC’s “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve.”

Seacrest’s move to “Live” comes a year after the curtain fell on the show that made him a household name, Fox’s “American Idol.” Over the years Seacrest has parlayed his success on air into a business empire that includes everything from investments in digital media startups (including DigiTour Media, Pinterest) and marketing/PR firms (Civic Entertainment Group) to a menswear line with Macy’s and an upcoming line of skincare products, Polished by Dr. Lancer.

Ryan Seacrest Productions (RSP) is also a busy producer of scripted and unscripted TV series, notably E’s “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” and its many spinoffs, Bravo’s “Shahs of Sunset” and the NBC drama series “Shades of Blue,” toplined by Jennifer Lopez. RSP will remain based in Los Angeles. The “Live” gig puts Seacrest squarely in business with each of the Big Four network parent companies. In addition to his deal with NBCUniversal’s E!, RSP has an unscripted TV production pact with Fox’s Endemol Shine North America and a scripted TV development deal with CBS Television Studios.

Michael Gelman, the longtime exec producer of “Live,” called Seacrest “a master of live TV” with the experience and chops to handle chores of daily morning TV.

“When you combine those attributes with the talents and experience of the incomparable Kelly Ripa, you have two skilled and entertaining broadcasters, with great chemistry. Add in an experienced production team and a successful 30-year franchise and you have the perfect combination,” Gelman said.

Getting Seacrest in place is a bookend to the drama that ensued after Strahan made his move to “GMA,” which angered Ripa as she was left out of the loop on the planning. The show that bowed in the late 1980s with Regis Philbin and Kathie Lee Gifford at the helm has maintained its strong ratings during the past year thanks to Ripa. Seacrest’s high-profile in TV and visibility in other media can only be an asset to “Live.”

“One of the secrets to ‘Live’s’ decades of success in daytime is the relatability of our hosts and their ability to deeply connect with the audience,” said Janice Marinelli, president of Disney/ABC Home Entertainment and TV Distribution. “Ryan has a charm and charisma that resonate with his devoted TV and radio audiences, and together, he and the remarkable Kelly Ripa will take ‘Live’ to a whole new level.”

1. Gail Novak says:

So happy Ryan is new co-host. He is good to look at, smart, knowledgeable, witty well like by all. Plan to watch Kelly & Ryan daily.

2. Rita says:

I can’t stand Ryan and why is he always hanging all over you, Kelly? Is he trying to get between you and the camera? I look forward to the day you slap him away from you, but I’ll have to hear about it from conversation on the bus because I can’t stand to watch the show anymore.
    The high school teacher was the best.

3. Angela salerno says:

The show is great have watched even before it it wasRegis and Kathy Lee
    But tell Ryan he is in NYC NOW NOT California he should not dress so casual. It is
    a television show. It lessons the look.

4. Linda says:

Ryan? Yawn. Need I say more?

5. C Dobs says:

Wrong choice, I like the school teacher and Kelley chemistry. Ryan is only trying to get Ryan and ? Live!

6. Brad Lee says:

Really? Doesn’t Ryan Seacrest have enough irons in the fire? It looks to me like he’s phoning it in, bumbling his way through with no prep. If you’re going to do it Ryan- step up dude.

7. Vicki Meadows says:

Ryan is good looking and a big name but it looks like kelly is working when with him why not jerry or fred savage. They grew on me and i enjoyed their humor. I saw no laughter in todays show

8. Annie Lane says:

Couldn’t be more disappointed. Seacrest is not sharp and funny, not attractive and not even interesting. I was hoping for Anderson Cooper or Fred Savage. I am shocked – really one of
    the worst possible choices. I can’t watch this anymore.

9. Maude Williams says:

I have been a Loyal fan and follower of Kelly and Regis, and Kelly with Michael Strayhorn. Then Kelly with her guest hosts for years. I love watching her show, it is informative, entertaining, and the audience wants eye candy, to keep the interest appealing. Ryan Seacrest needs to dress better. He has been on the show for a week and he looks SLOPPY!!! And i know he can do better. If I want to see a man in a blue sweater and tennis shoes, i will go to the grocery store! He is an anchor for a very high profile TV show and he needs to look the part, as is stands now…he does not! Put on a very nice suit, starch white shirt, beautiful tie, look handsome not mediocre! He dresses like he does not care about the position. It turns me off to see a man on TV looking like that!! If he continues to dress like that, I will change the channel and watch something else. I was a little disappointed you guys picked him. Anderson Cooper looked perfect for that position. Ryan needs to step up his appearance immediately!! Sitting next to Kelly looking beautiful, with that low casual attire he has on, makes him look out of place! GET IT TOGETHER RYAN!!!!!! Otherwise he is doing a great job, just look the part!! The show is shown in Doctor’s offices, restaurants, offices, etc. Just dress better. I love to see a handsome man look handsome, it keeps my interest, I am sorry I hate a sloppy looking man! I am a mature woman, with excellent taste, women of my demographics love a well-groomed, well-dressed man. I will be watching!!

• Linda says:

Ditto. Ryan looks like a bum off the street. Does not contribute to the interests of the show. Bad Choice,

10. Debra Helton says:

YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE! Ryan is great. Funny without looking stupid, works great with Kelly. I had quit watching because of goofy co host but now I am a loyal watcher

11. Kym Northrip says:

You talked about some older show not on anymore, but the’re on MeTv and TvLand channels.

12. I read that Jerry O’Connell took himself out of the running. He is trying to sell a show with himself and his wife. I like Ryan Seacrest but not for this show. He is way to straight laced and just not relatable for this format of a show.

13. SO disappointed in the new co host, Ryan Seacrest. Would NEVER have picked him. I see no Chemistry between them and have never understood the appeal of RS. After 4 days of watching them together I’m done. Goodby Kelly! and good luck.

14. Charlotte McCarty says:

Goodby Kelley, I can’t stand your cohost !!!!!!! I have watched you for years but not any more

15. Kay says:

What a total letdown! Ryan is boring and low energy. Kelly didn’t need a slick prefab professional host-type. Scott Wolf, Fred Savage, or Jerry O’Connell would have been fantastic choices. They are funny, charming, and interesting. The Kelly show just wrote their final chapter with the horrible choice of Seacrest.

16. Fuzzy says:

UGH! What a disappointment I don’t recall Seacrest co-hosting at all…and I guess that means a lot that his co-hosting was not memorable. If we couldn’t get Anderson Cooper or Mark Consuelous, who in my opinion were the most entertaining, then my pick in order of chemistry between the hosts and overall entertainment would have been:

1) Scott Wolf. Wasn’t that familiar with this actor but they had great chemistry, he was forthcoming, quick witted and fun and I enjoyed watching the two of them.
    2) Jerry O’connell. – This guy drove me crazy at first because he was trying way too hard to be zany and fun, but as he went along he got more comfortable and I actually think he grew into the position.

I think the reason for the Seacrest pick was to get a high profile name without regard for whether there would be any chemistry between the two. Take THAT Michael Strahan……we got RYAN SEACREST! What a mistake.

17. Thomas Adley says:

I find Mr Seacrest to be a little bit too egotistical and arrogant for my liking. After being a fan of the show since the days of Regis & Kathy Lee I’m afraid I’ll have to search for alternate viewing options in this time slot.

18. mary says:

What a disappointment. Ryan Seacrest, boring, fake, boring fake. Done with this show now.

19. yekdeli says:

Seriously? I wish she would have chosen someone new. Someone who isn’t so overexposed. Sad.

20. jodie worrad says:

Im kellys age, been watching the show since i was a teen. What a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! Jerry would have been even better!

21. Karen R Ballard says:

Terrible choice! I’ve watched this program forever………….no more! There were so many other funny, talented choices. YUCK!!

22. Karen says:

Love Kelly and Ryan. This show will be great again!

23. Pamela P Zummo says:

Bad move should had picked Jerry

24. Tracy says:

I’m disappointed I’m not gonna lie. I like Ryan but I really didn’t think anyone was as great as Jerry O’Connell. His sense of humor is fantastic and I just think more chemistry. He is Hysterical!! He’s a breath of fresh air & a true “pick-me-up”! That’s not taking away from Ryan. Just, for me, he’s not all that entertaining. After several years of taping on DVR I cancelled the Kelly series…. That’s just me, just my opinion.

• Vicki Meadows says:

I thought he was so funny. He looked good with kelly. She needed a co n host older than her

25. Betty Scott says:

what were you thinking when you pick Ryan for Kelly program in the morning. When I saw that I turned the television right off, will not watch that program anymore, what a bummer, yuck’.

26. Jacque says:

Why was Ryan Seacrest even in the running??? Kelly and Jerry were so good together! I don’t think I will be watching, too boring!!!

27. Brad Ryder says:

Okay, that’s it … I’m not watching any more! Oh wait, I never watched in the first place. I know, I don’t know what I’m missing. Still, I’ve seen Seacrest here and there and now I won’t watch even harder.

• Jane says:

Need to start a petition to kick him off the air, we need some new fresh face for the co host, Ryan is way over rated and already has his empire working for him.

28. Jim. Jeff walt says:

Ryan and Kelly will be boring … they are too much alike. There will be nothing to discover about each other.. they are both in the same business . They know each other too well. Michael strahan was cut from a different cloth… he was from the sports world and she was show business .. they could truly interact with each other. Ryan is not exciting at all.. poor Kelly I hate to see the show fall flat …I will not be watching.

29. Jane Hankey says:

I read through 44 comments. Not one was favorable. It took them a year to pick a host and this is what they come up with? Seacrest must appeal to the lowest common denominator like the Kardashians. It’s too bad because I’ve always enjoyed watching Kelly match wits with someone worthy of her.

• Rosemary Hopkins says:

Loved Jerry O’Connell a great match! Why Ryan boring. Kardashians are common with Ryan Seacrest yuck.

30. jo enterman says:

yuck

31. Brian Todd says:

Hahahaha. Both of these two have no talents, over hyped by the TV Station. Let’s call it a “Ding Dong” show/ What kind of people watch these two brainless people?

32. tom says:

I think this show is over, just like American Idol. LOL We are creating a group in Brooklyn to stop watching this stupid show.

33. tom says:

I think this show is over, just like American Idol. LOL

34. noel says:

Oh for God’s sake enough already bring back Regis Philbin and make the show worth watching again. Or change the name to ‘ME, MYSELF AND I.Or better still cancel the show I mean the standards are so low now why bother with a co host? why bother watching?

35. Anne Capreri says:

What a disappointment! With all the interesting co-hosts of this past year, I’m surprised that we’ve ended up with Seacrest. I don’t think this was Kelly’s choice.

• Susan says:

Loved the “Me, Myself and I” line. Hilarious! Couldn’t agree more. Huge mistake not to hire fresh, funny, charasmatic person – Jerry or Fred. RS is retread, yawn, boring. Took a year …..for that!

• Judy Higbee says:

What a bad choice. This has ruined the show for me

• Diane Guinan says:

What a let down, maybe she just wanted someone who wouldn’t take away her spotlight, and that sure would be Ryan Seacrest, what a zero!

• Susan says:

That’s what I was thinking. She’s feel safe, unthreatened with RS; doesn’t have to worry about being overshadowed or sharing the spotlight. This choice placated her ego, I’m sure. She wanted a safe, boring straight-man to her “comedian” lol. She got it. He’s too much of a gentleman to ever try to outshine her. Maybe it’s a match made in heaven for THEM, but not so much for viewers. yawn

36. Bryan says:

What a douche! Has to get his hands into everything!!! Never watch his face again – such a horrible desesion – I’m two years it will be his show- Asshole!!!!!!!!!🍼💦💦just do it Ryan – lol

37. Michael Paul says:

Two jerks meant to be together.Please…stopped watching after Regis left.She is a pompous no talent midget.Now she has a midget sidekick just like her in a male form.The show is on its last leg.

38. Wrong choice. Should have been Fred Salvage. This man has no personality. Will not watch

39. What happened to Fred Savage? Weird lack of chemistry between Kelly and Ryan. Disappointed.

40. Yak says:

WTH? I was hoping for Richard Simmons!

41. S. Seawick says:

I won’t watch your show anymore. How many projects does he need to be involved in. I liked Jerry O’Connell.

42. IT--2--IT says:

INTEL RUN medıa

WHAT-s left to say

***CLICK***

43. Matrices says:

Bland, no personality Seacrest. What a disappointing choice. Kelly might as well be doing the show solo, for all he will bring to the table.

• Michael Paul says:

Pair her with IBM Watson computer.Seacrest has zero personality and is an ultra elistest toolbag.

44. KansasGuest says:

It’s so BORING when the same faces keep popping up everywhere in similar jobs. Way to turn off potential new viewers. Ever think it might be good to give lesser known people the opportunity of a lifetime? You did that with Strahan. But, because that ended awkwardly, now the default is back to the old, white guy. Come on! I fully expect that this will now become an hour-long infomercial for Ryan Seacrest Productions. *yawn*

45. Peter says:

The WORST Choice EVER!! Come on Kelly, this is what you came up with?? Time to move on, Seacrest is such a little bitch!!

46. Ivan says:

#LiveSoWhite

• Lisa says:

But Kelly said “Ryan is at the top of his game!” I’m dying!!!! Ryan is at the tail end of his TV career. He must be another one of Mark’s boyfriends. Kelly will do anything to keep her domineering little man happy and keep the open marriage swinging.

47. Kitty cat says:

Maybe she’ll get a better attitude and stop thinking that she OWNS The Studio

48. Jane says:

He is incredibly overexposed and has been for a very, very long time. So many other better choices!

49. Susan says:

Maybe Kelly is sick of being the boss.
    It’s very stressful for a woman with children.

• me says:

Are you serious? Ripa sick of being the boss? HA never.

Like she didn’t have 8 Nannies and 1 Ninny (her husband) raising her children for her all these years? GMAB.

50. Tom says:

So contracts with one network allow for a conflict of interest being on another network.