‘Roseanne’ Revival Lands at ABC

Roseanne
Carsey-Werner/Wind Dancer Prod/REX/Shutterstock

The planned revival of classic sitcom “Roseanne” is moving forward at ABC, network president Channing Dungey said Tuesday.

“We’re rebooting ‘Roseanne,'”Dungey said on a conference call with reporters, adding it is being eyed for a midseason debut. ABC had been competing with Netflix for the new installment of the show.

The eight-episode reboot will feature the original cast – Roseanne Barr (Roseanne), John Goodman (Dan), Sara Gilbert (Darlene), Laurie Metcalf (Jackie), Michael Fishman (D.J.) and Lecy Goranson (Becky). Sarah Chalke, who played the character Becky in later seasons, will also appear in another role. Johnny Galecki, who played David, currently stars on the CBS sitcom “The Big Bang Theory.”

Tom Werner and Bruce Helford will return as executive producers, with Barr and Gilbert also executive producing. The original series ran for nine seasons on ABC and was widely praised for its portrayal of working class Americans. The series followed the Conner family as they tried to scrape out a living in the fictional town of Lanford, Illinois. The series also starred Laurie Metcalf–who won multiple Emmys for her portrayal of Roseanne’s sister, Jackie–as well as “Big Bang Theory” star Johnny Galecki and Estelle Parsons.

Barr was also nominated for four Emmys during the shows run, winning one, in addition to five Golden Globe nominations, again winning one. Goodman received seven Emmy nominations for the series, along with four Golden Globe nominations, of which he won one. Gilbert received two Emmy nominations for the series, losing out both times in the Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series category to Metcalf.

“Roseanne” marks the latest old series to be brought back for new episodes. Among many others, Fox debuted “24: Legacy” in January, while a new season of “Prison Break” began airing on the network in April. Last year, Netflix debuted a four-episode continuation of “The Gilmore Girls,” with more episodes potentially on the way. In addition, NBC is producing a new 12-episode run of “Will & Grace,” which will air during the 2017-2018 season, while Showtime is preparing to launch new episodes of David Lynch’s cult classic series “Twin Peaks.”

1. Deena M Clevenson says:

I always loved the show, the outrageous humor, and wondered how much of it was improvised. It is one of those shows that looks like the cast had a lot of fun in the process. Each character was really well developed and unpredictable.. I especially liked Jackie _ great timing and delivery. So what’s the latest about when the remake will happen?d

2. Brian Puente says:

The last episode explained the entire last season was a dream. They never won the lottery. But it goes deeper than just Dan’s heart attack, also She explains that in reality Becky and Darlene have each other’s boyfriends and actually her sister is gay. So are we going with a 3rd plot with no heart attack, no lottery win, and characters switching? Well I asked this on Twitter to Roseanne herself. She liked my tweet…. but didn’t answer me. Also I found out that her and John have polar opposite political views (she’s a Trump supporter, and Kohn, not so much. I’m wondering if any of that could cause problems on the set. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate political issues into the plot.

3. melanie jarvis says:

Dan dies in the series final how are they going to explain that?

4. Tony says:

I hated Roseanne during its original run. Now as I watch it in reruns, I see it as one of the great shows of all time. Did I change that much? I’m sorry I was too “snobbish” to enjoy it back then. I hope the reboot does it justice.

5. Susan says:

I liked the old show, but I have no interest in seeing a remake. I have a feeling the reboot will be dark and depressing.

6. Sheri Sherrer says:

I loved this show when it was our in the 80’s, so looking forward to it now. Has always been my favorite show of all time….

7. George Lewis says:

Caution: Roseanne’s discordant voice can break your sound system & have sickening effects on your ears. Bad news (but of course it will have its type of audience).

• Frida Livery says:

Discordant voice aside, Roseanne still managed to become the World’s Most Powerful Singer.

After all, on 25 July 1990, her voice completely co-opted the airwaves, penetrated the consciousness of nearly every man, woman, and child in North America, and brought the White House to a screeching halt!

Emphasis on screeching.

• Meliton Orozco says:

I wonder what they will say happened to Mark (RIP). Also the article doesn’t 100% say he won’t be in it but I hope Mr.Galecki isn’t too big of a star to be on it. It’s only 8 episodes and it won’t feel quite right without him. All in all I will just stay optimistic about it and hope that they end it properly this time

8. terryleeprince@gmail.com says:

But I thought they ended the series as it was all a dream? That Dan actually died? Will be interesting to see how they bring it all back together!

9. Smooth says:

Okay, this I wanna see. Go Roseanne, never bow down to the sodomite mafia.

10. Steve says:

WooHooo!!!

11. Wow. They’ll cancel Last Man Standing, but go to bat for a Rosanne reboot? I guess it makes sense?? I could see LMS was nearing an end with Eve heading off to college. There is only so much you can do with a buffon like Kyle and a dimwit like Mandy. I’d rather it go out now than turn into a train-wreck like Reba.

12. Kathryn DeMoss says: