Rob Lowe and Sons Set for A&E Network Reality Series ‘The Lowe Files’

Rob Lowe Matthew Lowe John Lowe
Broadimage/REX/Shutterstock

Rob Lowe is embarking on an unscripted version of “The X-Files,” taking his adult sons on a search for answers to unsolved mysteries and supernatural lore.

The Lowe Files,” from Critical Content, will feature the veteran actor and his sons — Matthew, 23, and John Owen, 21 — on a trek around the country to investigate spooky legends and mysteries. The trio aim to bring some scientific rigor to the process by consulting with experts and academics in fields related to the ghost stories they pursue.

“Since I was a kid I’ve loved unexplained legends, strange phenomena and the scary, supernatural stories told around campfires,” said Lowe. “When I became a father I shared those tales with my two sons. Together we bonded over Bigfoot, UFO’s, and every creepy and bizarre story we could find, passionately debating if they were real…or not.  And we swore that someday the three of us would go on our own adventure to find out. That day has come.”

A&E has ordered nine episodes to premiere this summer. The series is expected to be a half-hour format.

Among the stories the Lowes will investigate include reports of an underwater alien base off the coast of Malibu, and Preston Castle, the abandoned boys reformatory near Sacramento that has long been rumored to be haunted.

“Watching Rob, Matthew and John Owen take this awesome adventure together, something that has long been a part of their family narrative, is the kind of organic programming that our viewers respond to best,” said Elaine Frontain Bryant, exec VP and head of programming for A&E. “Their explorations will certainly lead them to dynamic and exciting places, but a nostalgic journey for a father and his sons is what’s at the heart of the series’ underlying mission.”

News of “The Lowe Files” comes one day before A&E’s parent company hosts an upfront presentation event in New York City. A&E is hoping to build on the momentum in the unscripted arena provided by the success of “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.”

Lowe has been a regular this season on the CBS medical drama “Code Black,” which is on the fence for a third season renewal. He toplined the well-received but low-rated Fox comedy “The Grinder” during the 2015-16 season.

Critical Content’s Tom Forman, Jon Beyer, Brad Bishop and Douglas McCallie are exec producers of “The Lowe Files” along with Rob Lowe.

(Pictured: Rob Lowe and wife Sheryl Berkoff flanked by sons Matthew and John Owen)

1. Beverly rehl says:

Don’t know if you read all comments but I have a question about the picture of the girl with the broom you show on the preview to your show. Why is it there? I own that picture and have been curious

2. Donna S. Beasley says:

Would like to suggest The Lowe Files visit Old Town in Albuquerque NM. Built on civil War cemeteries and has a nun seen walking in her chapel. In daytime in an old church, I knelt in a pew and while praying, a Hymnal was thrown to the floor and my daughter said no one was there but me. My grandson said in the chapel he felt cold and a whisper in his ear to leave now. They have ghost tours.

3. Méria Jéanfréaux says:

My hubby and I, are enjoying Rob Lowes’ show The Lowes’ Files.’ MY hubby has always enjoyed watching lowes’ movie. I’ve nevenever watched movies. I’m no movie fan. Yet, This new program with Rob and his Sons’ are quite enjoyable. My one negative is this show is only 30 minutes. Please, bring their show to at least one hour. Seem other reality shows aren’t worth watching. Now, here comes this fabulous show and it’s just 30 minutes. Come on A & E, bring them back with an hour show get rid of these other Wahlberg show just 30 min. I’m no fan, of that family. They’re boring. I’m wanting more of the Lowe’ men… their subjects’ are what I’m interested in… seeing these guys are extra delight. Ha!. NOW, WE’RE WANTING LONG SHOW….. HATE CRIMINAL MINDS, etc. PLEASE! LOVE YOU GUYS. THANKS.

4. Raquel says:

Who is the shaman that was used in the Lowe’s investigative series for Preston Castle. Could you please send me his information.

5. Woody says:

Watched the 1st episode and I have to commend the Lowe family for finding a way for A&E to pay for their family vacation.

6. Becky gaggney says:

When does the show air?

7. Mary Ward says:

I was a docent there. Anna was killed in the basement and wrapped in a carpet.

8. P says:

I love supernatural type shows but I really don’t want to see 2 Hollywood brats and their over the hill has been dad.

9. Race Hobbs says:

Wow! Rob and his son’s looking into mysteries and legends? Sounds like a fun time and I will for sure tune in! UFO’s,Bigfoot, Remote Viewing,Conspiracies? Can’t Wait!

10. Quad says:

Lowe was terrific on “The Grinder”

11. Maureen Murray says:

This is such exciting news! I’ve been a Rob Lowe fan for decades. I admire his relationships with his sons and know he is an excellent storyteller. This is such a fun and new concept that I know Rob will put his Herat and soul into, I cannot wait to watch. This will be Epic!

12. Isaac says:

How is this show not called “Lowe and Behold?” Come on creatives..:

13. Matt says:

This actually sounds fun.