‘Psych’ Reunion: Cast Reuniting for Holiday Movie on USA Network in December

Psych movie reunion
Courtesy of USA

USA Network has staged a “Psych” reunion.

The original cast and creator are returning for a two-hour holiday movie, “Psych: The Movie,” this December, Variety has learned.

The news comes more than three years after “Psych” went off the air in spring 2014, after airing for eight seasons and more than 120 episodes.

In “Psych: The Movie,” fake psychic detective Shawn Spencer (James Roday) and his best friend, Burton “Gus” Guster (Dulé Hill), will team up once again. Lassiter (Timothy Omundson), Juliet (Maggie Lawson), Henry (Corbin Bernsen) and Chief Vick (Kirsten Nelson) will also return for the movie, which picks up three years after the series finale. The friends, along with some returning fan-favorite characters, come together during the holidays after a mystery assailant targets one of their own.

“‘Psych’ is a beloved part of our USA family, and what better time to reunite with family than the holidays.” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “Steve and James have taken the unique brand of comedy that the series honed over eight seasons and packed it in to a two-hour movie that successfully rekindles one of the greatest bro-mances in television history.”

“‘Psych’ has an absolutely phenomenal and constantly refreshing fan base. We couldn’t be more thrilled to gift our Psych-os this holiday season with ‘Psych: The Movie,'” added Jeff Wachtel, Chief Content Officer, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, and President, Universal Cable Productions. “Steve, James, Dulé and the rest of the gang are all returning for a delightful holiday movie that will not – nay, dare not – disappoint!”

“Psych” creator Steve Franks will direct the movie, which he co-wrote with Roday. They will both executive produce with Hill, and Chris Henze and Kelly Kulchak of Tagline Pictures. Universal Cable Productions is the studio.

“Psych: The Movie” goes into production on May 24.

1. Milli Clopine says:

I watch reruns of Psych everyday. It’s my good morning and good night gift to myself. When I visit my daughter, there is always an episode on. Between us we just keep the show going while we cook breakfast lunch and dinner. I can’t wait to see the movie!!!!! Bring it on, we love to see all our old friends. Thank you for doing this for us. Milli C.

2. Kym says:

I could not be more ecstatic!!! I not only love the show Psych, but also recommend it to anyone who hasn’t seen it. I am very saddened though that the episodes on ION are all repeats. If there was anything I could do for them to put out more seasons. In addition to the movie, I would be all over it. Well, thank you for giving us a great relief from our lives and time to sit back and laugh!!

3. Kathy Vasquez says:

I can’t wait to see the Holiday Movie. I wish it would air again.

4. Caren Corcoran says:

I watched the Psych series when it originally aired. It was amazing to watch the quick wit of Shawn Spencer and the hilarious names he would come up with for his partner Gus, the Guster.
    I can’t wait for this movie you are talking about! It will be a refreshing change from the horrible choices out there now. Please don’t let this project die!!!!

5. mariea lynch says:

Love it…….I watch the reruns now and they never get old……

6. Beverly says:

Oh thank God, I’m looking sooooo forward to the holidays now. Personally I wish a whole new season was coming. Psych is one of the best shows ever. Monk is the other one. Also, Columbo. TV has so few good programs these days and I looked forward to Psych every week. Now I watch the reruns on ION TV. So exited about the movie. I’m a 72 year old woman.

7. Jennifer R Todd says:

Best news everrr! Can’t “WAIT FOR ITTTTTT”!! :) Psych will always be my very favorite shows!!

8. lola olsen says:

Dreams do come true! Have been hoping that the Psych family would come back! The writing & talent with this cast is genius! Still watch reruns with as much enthusiasm as watching for the first time. Smart, clever & downright funny is this show! Will not miss the movie!

9. Ruth Kohei says:

C’mon son! I literally screamed when I came across this article! We already had an amazing musical, and adding a movie on top of that? This show truly never stops giving. I will be first in line to get a ticket for the screening!

10. Elizabeth Wilcox says:

I am So glad you guys are Back! I watch all the episodes every night I can’t wait gor December..Welcome back!

11. fan33 says:

I am rewatching Psych, I absolutely love the show and James Roday. I hope he finally gets the recognition he deserves, he has a ton of talent, and I hope he scores some big time movie roles. The guy is a fantastic actor!

12. Kirsten Savage says:

I watched Psych from the very beginning, the hour always went too fast and then would start the count down till the following Wednesday. It was a show me and my teenage boys watched together. No show ever made me laugh from my belly like Psych. We still mimic lines from the show and Pineapples will always remind me of my all time favorite TV show. Cannot wait to have a psych party to watch the movie. I hope they do some sort of countdown to it like when they played all 100 episodes over 3 days.

13. Sally Cutler says:

I couldn’t possibly be more excited for a ‘Psych’ reunion! One of my favorite show, I felt it never received its due respect from the entertainment industry when it was on; and I think to have a movie green lighted validates its worth for those of us who always knew it was pure (fool’s) gold.

14. I am so so very happy about the movie coming in December die hard fan of Psych the actors and actresses bring the writers script to light and bring me and the many fans and the world immense joy and i know laughter will follow i pray this movie makes the usa and nbc realize the fan love and need this show back all new please psych cast you are so dearly loved and adored come back we miss you so so much come back on the fans show you how much wr care Cynthia

15. Jimmy says:

Hey, this is great. USA network please also do a Monk movie!

16. Michelle says:

There is a charity trying to get a set visit to this production.

17. Heidi J says:

First time ever taking the time to write a comment on anything entertainment related, so when I say this is great news — I mean it. Love this show and love that it is a TV show that my entire family has enjoyed watching together. My son and I still re-watch the series when we want to watch a little TV as there is nothing better.

18. Effie Stop says:

If this does not happen, it is a special kind of cruel….this is one the most amazing shows EVER!! It is tied with Firefly. My daughter and I watch Psych ALL THE TIME and we were heartbroken when it went off the air. Murder?…Anyone?…Anyone?…Bueller? was probably my favorite episode….he was making iconic film references! The chemistry between the whole cast is something you rarely see.
    I just heard about this today and now I am going to start rewatching all the Psychs!

19. Kirsten Licari says:

I am so thrilled to hear about the Psych movie!!! The chemistry of this cast is hard to beat. I have every episode and have missed seeing them on tv. The clever mysteries, quirky humor and fantastic ’80’s references and cameos were something to look forward to. I can’t wait!!

20. Kertie says:

Does anyone know where they’re filiming??

21. Brian says:

couldn’t be more excited about this. sometimes I pretend this show is my religion, you know besides my actual religion. Would love to meet these guys and bump fists.

22. Connie Citriniti and Angelo says:

I think a once a year Holiday segment would be great every year….love these guys!!!! I still laugh even after seeing an episode many times

23. LCL says:

Beyond thrilled to see new material from these guys. I’ve binge-watched the entire series probably a dozen times, and never get tired of it. My entire family still plays ‘Spot the Pineapple’ thanks to this show!

24. Rhonda says:

I am so super excited!!!! I can not wait!!! I loved this show so much. My son and I watched every episode together and are excited to see the movie. Very happy the original cast will reunite.

25. Linda whitworth says:

Can’t wait! Was heartbroken when the series ended. So few shows with that kind of awesome comedy that can be enjoyed by all age groups. Yay!!

26. Mary Bellio says:

I am “PSYCHED” LOVE LOVE LOVE
    Psych, still catch it in reruns whenever possible. Love all the characters, the wit, creativity and I cannot wait for everyone to be back together again!!! Thank You

27. Pattie says:

Wish the show would come back – a truly enjoyable series that I miss – Can’t wait to see the movie and more-(hint/hint)

28. JimG. says:

They said there would be a movie. So happy to see it actually happen. Psych is one of those series that I will always miss not having new episodes.

29. Peter says:

THE BEST NEWS!! Great Show!! So Glad to see it back!!

30. joshbranyan says:

This is fantastic news!

31. Sweet! Now how about a Monk reunion movie?

32. Fermin venegas says:

Crazy

33. Sharon says:

My grown daughter and I love Psych! I bought every season on DVD. If we need to laugh we watch Psych. Shawn and Gus crack us up. My husband doesn’t get that kind of humor but that’s ok, we watch anyway. The first time I saw the show when Juliet was waiting for her highschool sweetheart and Shawn is confronting the bad guy and he does the flip off the ground laying flat on his back, then ask the bad guy “did you see what I just did?” I thought I was never going to quit laughing. We were sad the show went off the air. I’m sure we would still be watching it. Can’t wait to see the movie!