‘Psych’ Reunion: Cast Reuniting for Holiday Movie on USA Network in December

Psych movie reunion
Courtesy of USA

USA Network has staged a “Psych” reunion.

The original cast and creator are returning for a two-hour holiday movie, “Psych: The Movie,” this December, Variety has learned.

The news comes more than three years after “Psych” went off the air in spring 2014, after airing for eight seasons and more than 120 episodes.

In “Psych: The Movie,” fake psychic detective Shawn Spencer (James Roday) and his best friend, Burton “Gus” Guster (Dulé Hill), will team up once again. Lassiter (Timothy Omundson), Juliet (Maggie Lawson), Henry (Corbin Bernsen) and Chief Vick (Kirsten Nelson) will also return for the movie, which picks up three years after the series finale. The friends, along with some returning fan-favorite characters, come together during the holidays after a mystery assailant targets one of their own.

“‘Psych’ is a beloved part of our USA family, and what better time to reunite with family than the holidays.” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “Steve and James have taken the unique brand of comedy that the series honed over eight seasons and packed it in to a two-hour movie that successfully rekindles one of the greatest bro-mances in television history.”

“‘Psych’ has an absolutely phenomenal and constantly refreshing fan base. We couldn’t be more thrilled to gift our Psych-os this holiday season with ‘Psych: The Movie,'” added Jeff Wachtel, Chief Content Officer, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, and President, Universal Cable Productions. “Steve, James, Dulé and the rest of the gang are all returning for a delightful holiday movie that will not – nay, dare not – disappoint!”

“Psych” creator Steve Franks will direct the movie, which he co-wrote with Roday. They will both executive produce with Hill, and Chris Henze and Kelly Kulchak of Tagline Pictures. Universal Cable Productions is the studio.

“Psych: The Movie” goes into production on May 24.

1. Kirsten Licari says:

I am so thrilled to hear about the Psych movie!!! The chemistry of this cast is hard to beat. I have every episode and have missed seeing them on tv. The clever mysteries, quirky humor and fantastic ’80’s references and cameos were something to look forward to. I can’t wait!!

2. Kertie says:

Does anyone know where they’re filiming??

3. Brian says:

couldn’t be more excited about this. sometimes I pretend this show is my religion, you know besides my actual religion. Would love to meet these guys and bump fists.

4. Connie Citriniti and Angelo says:

I think a once a year Holiday segment would be great every year….love these guys!!!! I still laugh even after seeing an episode many times

5. LCL says:

Beyond thrilled to see new material from these guys. I’ve binge-watched the entire series probably a dozen times, and never get tired of it. My entire family still plays ‘Spot the Pineapple’ thanks to this show!

6. Rhonda says:

I am so super excited!!!! I can not wait!!! I loved this show so much. My son and I watched every episode together and are excited to see the movie. Very happy the original cast will reunite.

7. Linda whitworth says:

Can’t wait! Was heartbroken when the series ended. So few shows with that kind of awesome comedy that can be enjoyed by all age groups. Yay!!

8. Mary Bellio says:

I am “PSYCHED” LOVE LOVE LOVE
    Psych, still catch it in reruns whenever possible. Love all the characters, the wit, creativity and I cannot wait for everyone to be back together again!!! Thank You

9. Pattie says:

Wish the show would come back – a truly enjoyable series that I miss – Can’t wait to see the movie and more-(hint/hint)

10. JimG. says:

They said there would be a movie. So happy to see it actually happen. Psych is one of those series that I will always miss not having new episodes.

11. Peter says:

THE BEST NEWS!! Great Show!! So Glad to see it back!!

12. joshbranyan says:

This is fantastic news!

13. Sweet! Now how about a Monk reunion movie?

14. Fermin venegas says:

Crazy

15. Sharon says:

My grown daughter and I love Psych! I bought every season on DVD. If we need to laugh we watch Psych. Shawn and Gus crack us up. My husband doesn’t get that kind of humor but that’s ok, we watch anyway. The first time I saw the show when Juliet was waiting for her highschool sweetheart and Shawn is confronting the bad guy and he does the flip off the ground laying flat on his back, then ask the bad guy “did you see what I just did?” I thought I was never going to quit laughing. We were sad the show went off the air. I’m sure we would still be watching it. Can’t wait to see the movie!