‘Outlander’ Season 3 to Premiere in September, Production Moves to South Africa

outlander season 3 spoilers
Courtesy of Starz

It’s been a long wait for “Outlander” fans, but there is light at the end of this particular tunnel: Season 3 will premiere in September 2017, Starz says.

That’ll make a gap (the “Droughtlander”) of about 14 months between Seasons 2 and 3. Season 3 began production in September 2016 and will finish in June — and is moving from misty, rugged Scotland to the slightly sunnier Cape Town, South Africa. Stars Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan taped a message to mark the occasion and thank their Scottish crew:

The story in Season 3 picks up right after Claire (Balfe) travels through the stones to return to her life in 1948. Now pregnant with Jamie’s (Heughan) child, she struggles with the fallout of her sudden reappearance and its effect on her marriage to her first husband, Frank (Tobias Menzies). Meanwhile, in the 18th century, Jamie suffers from the aftermath of his doomed last stand at the historic battle of Culloden, as well as the loss of Claire. As the years pass, Jamie and Claire attempt to make a life apart from one another, each haunted by the memory of their lost love. The budding possibility that Claire can return to Jamie in the past breathes new hope into Claire’s heart… as well as new doubt. Separated by continents and centuries, Claire and Jamie must find their way back to each other. As always, adversity, mystery, and adventure await them on the path to reunion. And the question remains: When they find each other, will they be the same people who parted at the standing stones, all those years ago?

Season 3 will consist of 13 episodes, based on the third book in Diana Gabaldon’s “Outlander” book series, “Voyager.” Ronald D. Moore, Maril Davis, Matthew B. Roberts, Toni Graphia, Anne Kenney and Andy Harries serve as executive producers of “Outlander,” which is produced by Tall Ship Productions, Story Mining & Supply Company and Left Bank Pictures in association with Sony Pictures Television.

WATCH: Sam Hueghan reacts to the ‘Outlander’ Season 2 finale

1. Felicia says:

Omg I’ve just finished binge watching season 1 and 2 and googled will there be a season 3 I’m about to lose my mind when does 3 began

2. Jenny says:

Read all the books (cant wait till book 9 comes out) LOVE this series and so super happy about how close it is to the books was so super excited when i found this series, ive watches it twice and I cant wait till September!!!!

3. Dee Porfilio says:

Truly one of the best shows on television! I binge watched first two season…now I have to wait until September?!? Uughh!! Pure entertainment! Can’t wait!!! ❤️❤️❤️

4. Karen Zeek says:

All I can say is…IT’S ABOUT TIME STARZ!!!! I have never been a true “binger” when it comes to shows, but Outlander had mje with the 1st episode, season 1!!! It’s beyond good IMO! I hope & pray that the info, that season 3 will begin airing in Sept. 2017 is accurate!! I don’t think I can handle another let down on air date!

5. NBC_Vic_Hern says:

Did anyone see an interview yet where cast and director stated that
    at some point they ABSOLUTELY KNEW they had a MONSTER HIT.
    It is a question just begging to be
    asked.

6. Vickie V. Adams says:

Sam and Catriona make such a beautiful couple in the series. Nice to see a gorgeous 17th century cougar with spunk get her guy! Sam seems to be a beautiful person inside and out. It shines through. I love this show so much. I too am sad that the new season is taking a millenium. Tobias Menzies is a great bad guy (I just saw him in Underworld Blood Wars). Part of the reason I rented it. He is great juxtaposed to these two. Please do a sweepstakes so I can enter and have a chance to meet the stars.

7. Kathy S says:

I love this show!!! But so disappointed that the wait is so long for season 3! Especially since season 2 was pretty much absent of any real action or resolve to Jamie & Claire’s predicament. Please release sooner than Sept 2017 If any way possible…your fans want you back asap!

8. We do age faster than you can blink Michele Stevens one day you are young turn around and your old…

9. Linda Gregory says:

Love the books, love the series. However, it has been so long since the last “season” I am not feeling any anticipation at the new season. When a series is a hit and has viewers, the producers need to keep the show going. Viewers like me lose interest and move on to something else.

10. Pat says:

Love this series!

11. Maria says:

I can’t believe we have to wait until Sept. I thought it always returns in April or June

12. I dont want clair and jamie to age fast because we dont in the real world so keep it slowed down…

13. Nancy Bold says:

Fantastic series can’t wait for season 3, please hurry up, can’t get enough of Outlander, beautiful scenery, beautiful story, never enjoyed a story like this one. Love from Nancy xx

14. Jessie says:

I am just doing a marathon of Outlander and I love this series! Really demonstrates what life is about and how particularly wonderful and tragic it was during that time period. I love having a strong, smart female character in Claire. I’m a nurse and the character role she plays shows the strength and knowledge of a nurse.

15. DEBORAH WRIGHT says:

SEPTEMBER 2017 THAT’S TOO LONG. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SERIES, YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME.

16. Anne Taylor says:

i am totally addicted to
    Outlander. I have watched every episode 2-3 times on demand. I can’t wait for Sept. (I thought it was airing in Aoriil), now I must wait longer. It will be worth it, I’m sure. It is one of the best shows on air. The intimacy and relationships are done so well. I always have a box of tissues nearby when I watch. Clair and Jamie are magnificent together. The antagonists (both Randalls) are so creepily believable that I cringe at their behaviors, but love to watch anyway..

17. Linda Scanlan says:

I would like to congratulate the whole cast, crew and directors etc for the wonderful Outlander series. You have amazingly kept to the true story and I am so impressed. Thank you all for the effort and perseverance you have given.

18. Eve says:

Like a lot of people, I gave up on the show because of the constant gratuitous rape scenes. If the upcoming season cuts it out with the gratuitous rapes and sadistic violence, I might consider returning. Will wait until the season finishes airing and check reviews to make sure. It’s just a disgrace how they ruined an otherwise great show with that nonsense. Constant rape and child rape scenes don’t make any show “artistic” or “edgy” or whatever else they were going for. It’s something that the books didn’t do well either and should have been fixed in the show.

• leigh may says:

unfortunately, rape seemed to be more prevalent in those times by historical accounts, and although the scenes in the book greatly upset me, I love the books for a chance to relive the times back then, being the history buff/nerd that I am. Unlike the books, I could fastforward these scenes in the show, which I recommend if that is the only thing keeping you from watching. As everyone always says, the books are better, but with exception to some parts, the series has kept true.

• Terri says:

I am a HUGE fan of the books and the show has honored the books by staying as true to them as much as the medium will allow. I have to disagree with the use of the description of “gratuitous.” Rape has been an unfortunate fact of history and the books’ deep dive into the complex effects rape has on both the victim and everyone involved with the victim has been anything but gratuitous. You don’t find many platforms in which these topics can be brought to the surface and therefore discussed and examined and I commend both the author and the creators of the series for understanding the significance of this type of raw examination. I have read all of the books multiple times and what is so precious about the series is the true intimacy that is captured between the cast of characters. Not just lust, not just love, but human nature. I think the show/books are artistic. I think life is edgy.

• There are two rapes in the series Jamie by Randall and Mary by the henchman of Sandrinham Randall attempts to rape Clair twice and gets his butt kicked both times. These are all in the books so if you read the books you will know what to expect.

***************** SPOILER ALERT********The Season 3 is based on ‘Voyager’ there is slavery and that B Leoughair (Leary)and her daughters are now Jamie’s wife and step-daughters with one also his Daughter-in-Law because she is married to Fergis whom Jamie legally adopted….There is a rape of Brianna coming up but not till ‘The Fiery Cross’ aka not this coming Season which is Voyager. I was always a read before watch person but I did not know about the series till after seeing the first season on demand when Season 2 was about to start so I was behind and wanted to catch up so read First book and started secound as Season two began so was reading and watching together. Even with the minimal number of episodes it does well to give the most story line follow it can with each episode lining up with one or more chapters of the book that season is based on. It is sad that they are filming in South Africa rather than the Caribbean and US where the story heads from Scotland.